More Alternate Endings (Support Page)

By Frog, in Talisman

Velhart said:

I think we can use 1 or 2 more trapdoors to the main deck.

Let's pray that FFG will made the third edition Trapdoor for 4thR gran_risa.gif

I hope also that new Treasure cards will be added to new regions.

The more new adventure cards we get, the more we could use trap doors. Still with the dungeon accessible from the ruins, there is less need of trap doors in the main deck anyway (but we could use them in decks from new upcoming regions). Regardless, I don't think we'll get any cards which require the Dungeon unless FFG makes a meta expansion one day like I hope they do.

How do Trap Doors work in 3rd?

I also hope they find an excuse to make treasure cards in another expansion - then we can shuffle them into a super mega treasure deck! I'd loath to see somebody deafeat LoD but have all the treasure taken by quest rewards. This shouldn't happen much at all, but one of these days...

Rune Gates would've been better if they had been permanent, instead of being discarded after use. Dungeon Doors are permanent, but, umm, yeah, pretty much not used, only tend to land on those spaces when you want to avoid drawing Adventure cards (at 1 Life, heading for healing, are Sage or have used Divination and know what's coming).

Dam said:

Dungeon Doors are permanent, but, umm, yeah, pretty much not used, only tend to land on those spaces when you want to avoid drawing Adventure cards...

Or to avoid landing on something nasty. Also occassionally when you're headed to the Dungeon but a door card is closer. I once was playing the elf and had a dungeon door on a woods space. I also had the Feind Slayer (I think - the guy who lets you draw an extra card). It was a sweet set up!

crimhead said:

Velhart said:

I think we can use 1 or 2 more trapdoors to the main deck.

Let's pray that FFG will made the third edition Trapdoor for 4thR gran_risa.gif

I hope also that new Treasure cards will be added to new regions.

The more new adventure cards we get, the more we could use trap doors. Still with the dungeon accessible from the ruins, there is less need of trap doors in the main deck anyway (but we could use them in decks from new upcoming regions). Regardless, I don't think we'll get any cards which require the Dungeon unless FFG makes a meta expansion one day like I hope they do.

How do Trap Doors work in 3rd?

I also hope they find an excuse to make treasure cards in another expansion - then we can shuffle them into a super mega treasure deck! I'd loath to see somebody deafeat LoD but have all the treasure taken by quest rewards. This shouldn't happen much at all, but one of these days...

Trap Door

A Trap Door opens beneath your feet.

You may attempt to avoid the trap by rolling under your craft on two dice.

If you fail to make the roll, or decide not to try, you land on the vault space in the Dungeon realm

-----------------------------

i use this rule for my trapdoors from 4th ( and then you land on the first vault space in the dungeon ( very dangerous and awesome ! )

we can use 2 more cards in the deck, to make it more dangerous, now that we get a lot of cards from Frostmarch

I also hope that other regions will get Treasure cards, but i think i keep the decks seperated from each other, or maybe not.. i don't know..

I love that trap door! Stick it in the Mountains! Bring on the first meta expansion (but not till we get another board or two).

crimhead said:

Or to avoid landing on something nasty. Also occassionally when you're headed to the Dungeon but a door card is closer. I once was playing the elf and had a dungeon door on a woods space. I also had the Feind Slayer (I think - the guy who lets you draw an extra card). It was a sweet set up!

Elf + Woods + Fiend Slayer is a pretty sweet deal. Could also see those Woods clogged fast with powerful Enemies you don't want to tackle and/or Places, forcing you to seek Adventure cards elsewhere.

crimhead said:

Why have the Rules been changed for the CoC ending? According to th card, you must attack another character there. Now you cannot use an ability against them...

All hail Crimhead!

Go to the Talisman Support Page and snag an updated Crown of Command card!

"If a character is on the Crown of Command and there is another character present, he must encounter the other character instead of casting the Command Spell."

PS - Just so as you know, the Danse Macabre card is correct. It wouldn't be much of a Dance of Death if people weren't attacking each other! demonio.gif

Thanks again, Jon!

talismanisland said:

PS - Just so as you know, the Danse Macabre card is correct. It wouldn't be much of a Dance of Death if people weren't attacking each other! demonio.gif

Does that mean I can't use my special ability or cast a spell when another character is on the Crown of Command with me and the Danse Macabre is going on?

Yes, you must attack the other character.

talismanisland said:

Yes, you must attack the other character.

But according to the rules casting spells can be part of attacking. Is that prohibited in this case?

And how about using special abilities? Can I attack other character with my Craft if my ability makes it possible?

I see that Jon has posted an Ice Queen extra on his TalismanIsland site.

It looks like a fun addition. I wanted to do something like it but could not figure out how to make it work...it so easy I am humbled.

Rimmer said:

And how about using special abilities? Can I attack other character with my Craft if my ability makes it possible?

My game's at a friends house, but I think those abilities read "when you attack a character you can chose to make the combat psychic" , so that would be okay. The ending doesn't say anything about not using abilities, only about obligatory attacking.

Rimmer said:

Does that mean I can't use my special ability or cast a spell when another character is on the Crown of Command with me and the Danse Macabre is going on?

I think you can do what you like as long as you attack the character. If your ability replaces an attack, no. If your ability enhances an attack or is unrelated to attacking, yes. I don't think having to attack a character precludes also casting spells.

@ Rimmer - Yes, if your ability or a spell assists in attacking then you may use them. It is just to prevent things like stealing and mesmerism etc.

@ Feldrik - Thanks! sonrojado.gif

talismanisland said:

@ Rimmer - Yes, if your ability or a spell assists in attacking then you may use them. It is just to prevent things like stealing and mesmerism etc.

Thank you for the answers.

But casting spells can be part of attacking. How to determine which spell assists in attacking and which doesn't? Isn't that kind of blurry?

For example Weakness. It's useful in battle but text on the card says "cast at any time" without any connection to battle. How about Healing, how about Restoration and many others. I don´t see the rule here.

Am I allowed to cast only spells which say "cast when you are about to engage battle" or what is the precise restriction?

Rimmer said:

talismanisland said:

Thank you for the answers.

But casting spells can be part of attacking. How to determine which spell assists in attacking and which doesn't? Isn't that kind of blurry?

For example Weakness. It's useful in battle but text on the card says "cast at any time" without any connection to battle. How about Healing, how about Restoration and many others. I don´t see the rule here.

Am I allowed to cast only spells which say "cast when you are about to engage battle" or what is the precise restriction?

I think you can cast every spell that you can use while attacking your opponent.(if text allow it) (follow the battles vs characters procedure..

The only thing what i am wondering about is if you can cast spells at the start of your turn?

--------------------

Jon:

The reaper ending says that at the beginning of his turn, he must attack the other character. (does this mean that he can also not cast spells that allow you to cast at the start of your turn?

If so.., maybe that the word (beginning) can be changed into (start) of his turn?

Velhart said:

The only thing what i am wondering about is if you can cast spells at the start of your turn?

I don't see why not. The rule is that you must attack, not that you can't do anything else in the same turn. Spells cast at the beginning of the turn do not preclude your attack.

Lubricus said:

Velhart said:

I don't see why not. The rule is that you must attack, not that you can't do anything else in the same turn. Spells cast at the beginning of the turn do not preclude your attack.

Yes, but Reaper ending says that you must attack at the beginning of your turn.

(it's almost similar to the ability that you must draw a spell at the start of your turn, and you can't cast spells before that.

So i am wondering if this has some connection with it gui%C3%B1o.gif

These are awesome! My only gripe is that printing these and including them degrades the pristine fit and finish of the FFG cards and boards. I'd pay to have these officially run by FFG.

In the mean time, does anyone have any tips on how to print these to best emulate the FFG quality? Type of paper, double sided template?

TIA.

Velhart said:

Lubricus said:

Velhart said:

Yes, but Reaper ending says that you must attack at the beginning of your turn.

(it's almost similar to the ability that you must draw a spell at the start of your turn, and you can't cast spells before that.

So i am wondering if this has some connection with it

I have send the question to the FFG rules section, so we get the answer soon gui%C3%B1o.gif

HallertauRogue said:

In the mean time, does anyone have any tips on how to print these to best emulate the FFG quality? Type of paper, double sided template?

I've done home made character cards, which are much the same. Unfortunately, the PDF wasn't set up best for what I do. I put the front of the card and the back on in the same layout same sheet. I use Photoshop CS 4 Extended, but any graphics program will do The back is positioned below the front and upside down. I print to PDF and take them to print shop for high quality output. Both parts are trimmed as one element approximately 5" x 8". Then the whole is folded, so the bottom becomes the back. I use acid free Elmers glue stick for bonding, and it comes out perfect. Printing is done at a Kinko's or other shop on Photostock; full color is about $1.09 a sheet. Quality is actually superior to the commercial cards, and slightly stiffer and tougher.

I've also been looking into character card sized poly sleeves with Jon New. Soon as one of us finds and tests a worthwhile option, one of us will report on it. Those can be used to slip a separate back and front into a sleeve and ... PRESTO... a new card. To make commercial cards match for random draw, just print extra backs and slip a printed back into a sleeve along with a commercial card. When drawing a random ending, no one will easily know which one is home made and which one is commercial. More on character card sleeves in the near future once something viable is found.

I like those new alternative endings and I appreciate FFG giving us something between the expansions. Frankly I'm counting on more of that gui%C3%B1o.gif

But like many people here I really like holding the actual cards in my hand. I hope that FFG will just throw in those and possible future cards to the next expansion. Nothing beats original, at least as far as consistent look and feel of the deck go.

HallertauRogue said:

I'll be printing each side as a digital photograph and spray-mounting the two sides together. To ensure that the cards are indestinguishable, I'll scan and re-print the three cards from Frostmarch.

To print like this, I had to open the PDFs in Acrobat Pro, and save them as JPGs. in doing this I found an alternative illustration behind the shown one on Danse Macabre. I brought this to the front and I'll print that one too, so I can use either one.

Felis said:

I like those new alternative endings and I appreciate FFG giving us something between the expansions. Frankly I'm counting on more of that gui%C3%B1o.gif

But like many people here I really like holding the actual cards in my hand. I hope that FFG will just throw in those and possible future cards to the next expansion. Nothing beats original, at least as far as consistent look and feel of the deck go.

I agree

Nothing beats original demonio.gif

I hope that FFG will add them in the next expansion.

Then i can add them to my collection.