New Weapon Qualities

By Crazy Aido, in WFRP House Rules

So a discussion on one of the other forums has inspired me to follow up on a notion I had some time ago about improved weapon qualities for different hand weapons.

Now this is the sort of thing that should only apply to weapons of superior quality or better. Regular hand weapons are just that: Regular. But something to make that once in a lifetime sword might add a little flavour to proceedings.

So far, I've been thinking of adding a few more weapon qualities, not too many, and when using a particular weapon of extra special quality, add some to it.

Suggestions and input welcome...

What I had to ask my GM. Was when i bought a superior weapon or armour was instead of improving its crit rating or damage rating. Was to make it out of a lighter but not weakened material. So I lose some weight so could carry more stuff. At 4 strength and only carrying normal gear I am at 20Lb quite often.

I think the dwarf book gives options for superior gear, Or my memory is confused again.

Really difficult what to add to anything so still is not magical

Chained to weapon so harder to disarm.

Lighter material

Easy concealed

Improved damage

improved crit

throwable

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

When my players get a weapon of superior quality I usually let them decide what they want to apply the white die bonus to. For example a sword that looks very fancy and fit for a noble might give a white to leadership rather than to attack rolls. While an evil looking superior axe might add a white to intimidate checks.

That way the players can add flavour to their own weapons (as well as armour or other items for that matter). So I encourage players to apply their white die bonuses in creative ways to create memorable/more personal gear. Rather than go with the standard +1 white on attacks.

One of my players decided to have a superiour robe which aided in spellcasting (so a white die on spellcraft checks), with the explanation that the character had spent a lot of time adding magical parafernalia to the robes. Suddenly it was disasterous when the robes were drenched in sewage and ripped during a quite failed encounter with the skaven. Had they been normal robes, or even "normal" superiour robes, the player would probably have no emotional attachment to the clothes and would just have paid to get a new set. Now she had to go through the trouble of getting them cleaned and mended before an important party.

When my players get a weapon of superior quality I usually let them decide what they want to apply the white die bonus to. For example a sword that looks very fancy and fit for a noble might give a white to leadership rather than to attack rolls. While an evil looking superior axe might add a white to intimidate checks.

That way the players can add flavour to their own weapons (as well as armour or other items for that matter). So I encourage players to apply their white die bonuses in creative ways to create memorable/more personal gear. Rather than go with the standard +1 white on attacks.

One of my players decided to have a superiour robe which aided in spellcasting (so a white die on spellcraft checks), with the explanation that the character had spent a lot of time adding magical parafernalia to the robes. Suddenly it was disasterous when the robes were drenched in sewage and ripped during a quite failed encounter with the skaven. Had they been normal robes, or even "normal" superiour robes, the player would probably have no emotional attachment to the clothes and would just have paid to get a new set. Now she had to go through the trouble of getting them cleaned and mended before an important party.

Love this idea. Consider it stolen :)

k7e9, thats such a great idea.

great indeed, i'm gonna introduce it this friday!

That is an awfully good idea.

There was one ability that I didn't see that I think would add a lot of flavour, which is something like pummeling from 2nd ed.

The way I looked at it, you can spend two boons to force the effect of rolling a delay on an enemy. Thoughts?

That sounds like a good way of introducing a pummeling effect.

I'll hopefully be able to give my players(when I get them) a room full of nice weapons to choose from while they sperlunk the maddening depths of Castle Drachenfels. I'll hopefully be able to throw out some interesting ones.

I was kicking around the idea that a weapon could have a card associated with it, like an axe that gives you reckless cleave, but the drawback would be only that weapon would allow you to do it, and it would have extra black die or two added, or more recharge tokens than normal. Too much to track I know, so haven't done it.