Bretonnian adventure ideas

By Gurkhal, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hi!

I don't often post here, but given that I may have a Bretonnia-based campaign to GM in the future I thought that I should open a thread.

The thing that I would ask for is essentially ideas for minor adventurers. I've got the big story finished but smaller ones to throw to my players when one or two players are missing would be great. And I figure that perhaps shortish adventure ideas might also be useful for other GMs.

So if you've got an idea or two, please let us know. :)

Well, a series of small quests to go kill a monster thats terrorising a small village or something would be decent filler. If your party includes any Knight type characters that would work nicely.

Insert obligatory Monty Python references as appropriate.

A local lord invites you to stay for his hospitality, and in the morning accompany him into the forest on a hunt. The hunt itself is a sacrifice to the Forest Spirits of the area where the Knights would have to survive the creatures and, by rules of hospitality, possibly even save the life of the Lord or unravel why the Spirits are demanding these sacrifices.

Send them to Moussillin!!!

• A wounded wood elf comes and warns the player characters of an impending beastman attack before dying in their arms.

A local lord invites you to stay for his hospitality, and in the morning accompany him into the forest on a hunt. The hunt itself is a sacrifice to the Forest Spirits of the area where the Knights would have to survive the creatures and, by rules of hospitality, possibly even save the life of the Lord or unravel why the Spirits are demanding these sacrifices.

Cool one but what about a scenario where the PC's are taken into custody by a deranged, local baron and then sent into the woods to be hunted for sport by this madman and his followers? Perhaps they could seek help from a band of local brigands and their mysterious, cowled leader?

Thanks guys! Just so you know I keep watch on the thread so if you've got some ideas to share, don't hesitate to post them!

A couple of ideas I'm working on now are that:

Two noble families have the same coat of arms and will settle this issue with steel, and one of them trying to recruit the players to his side

A noble has tasked a village with raising a big pig for his dinner, but a band of goblins had raided the village and stolen the pig, and now the villagers are hiring the characters to return the seigneurial pork. This has a darker tone than one might expect as the lord would burn down the whole village as punishment for slacking if the pig isn't found when the lord wants to eat it

A necromancer has fled from the Empire into Bretonnia and taken hold in an burnt-out village which is left from an earlier feud between nobles, due to the sudden activity of undead and that their own lord is to busy feuding with a neighbor, the villagers tries to get the characters to investigate

Thanks guys! Just so you know I keep watch on the thread so if you've got some ideas to share, don't hesitate to post them!

Two noble families have the same coat of arms and will settle this issue with steel, and one of them trying to recruit the players to his side

A noble has tasked a village with raising a big pig for his dinner, but a band of goblins had raided the village and stolen the pig, and now the villagers are hiring the characters to return the seigneurial pork. This has a darker tone than one might expect as the lord would burn down the whole village as punishment for slacking if the pig isn't found when the lord wants to eat it

A necromancer has fled from the Empire into Bretonnia and taken hold in an burnt-out village which is left from an earlier feud between nobles, due to the sudden activity of undead and that their own lord is to busy feuding with a neighbor, the villagers tries to get the characters to investigate

I love the last two ones. I'd make a dark twist on the pig case, in that the pig turns out to be mutated. ;)

The Necromancer one is great for a zombie survival-like adventure. Board them up in an abandoned village and make them survive the night.

I love the last two ones. I'd make a dark twist on the pig case, in that the pig turns out to be mutated. ;)

The Necromancer one is great for a zombie survival-like adventure. Board them up in an abandoned village and make them survive the night.

Thanks!

When I started working on Bretonnia I thought that it would mostly be about the nobles, but the more I think of it the more fun ideas I get with the peasants. :D

And a mutated pig would be a fun addition.

Edited by Gurkhal

Thanks!

When I started working on Bretonnia I thought that it would mostly be about the nobles, but the more I think of it the more fun ideas I get with the peasants. :D

And a mutated pig would be a fun addition.

It would create a sort of dillema for players. Should they bring the pig back to the village or burn it? After all Chaos is contagious...

For your information the work on this campaign goes forward and I can present a couple of new adventure ideas that are in the making. And if anyone has more ideas, please let me know!

A noble bride has been kidnapped and now the players are to find the woman in question and liberate her, the noble families affected have already burned down one hapless village and if the woman can't be found, they are likely to torch a couple more, the villagers have decided to pay well in addition to the reward promised by the nobles for the woman's return

Basically a short encounter/trap where a pair of cannibals operating a remote inn tries to kill and eat the characters

A corrupt (not Chaos corrupt...) lord is driving his fief into the ground regardless of what outcome will come later on, because he don't count on being alive to face the consequences, which risks bringing ruin to the trade business one of the character's family is involved in

A noble woman dedicates herself to Khorne in order to claim the heritage from her father from the greedy hands of her uncles, regardless of what the law and duke may say of it and the characters gets an interesting offer

Longer adventure to protect the bastard daughter of a noble who has recently gotten involved in a feud with a bloodthirsty lord, but the issue is that the girl in question don't sitt still at the Shallya temple she's at and wait for her saviors or damners to arrive, and now the characters must start with finding this runway before the enemy does, with loads of rewards at the end of it

A village elder has come to worship Solkan and this is causing some serious trouble in the village which will no doubt provoke the characters they feel of it

There's a tourney but degenerates into a series of murders back and forth which threatens to reduce the military leadership and defense of the region in the face of growing Greenskin aggression

A merchant has gone missing and his family is paying well to see his fate uncovered and his remains returned

A cult of Khorne and a cult of Khaine has taken root in the area and between them and a fairly dense noble overlord, they are laying waste to the whole fief weith paranoia, and outbursts of violence never far away which means that a clever man can make gold here, or an honest man can save lives

I like those ideas. I'd go with more religious themes, like the Solkan-worshiping elder or that khornate lady (very cool idea!).

The cannibal encounter is a perfect filler between the adventures.

Good luck with your game! :)

I like those ideas. I'd go with more religious themes, like the Solkan-worshiping elder or that khornate lady (very cool idea!).

Thanks!

Its lots of work to get it all ready for action but I am slowly making my way there. :)

Thanks!

Its lots of work to get it all ready for action but I am slowly making my way there. :)

In the end it's always worth it, especially when you see the joy on your players faces. :)

Lots of good ideas - if you want rival noble families and arguments about heraldry making them related works.

The two brothers castles in Germany are a great starting point (it's sort of the like the right and left Twix factories if you've seen the commercials).

There are different versions of the story, rather than the hokey romance I prefer the cheating blind sister one (2nd link) - much more warhammery.

http://www.castle-liebenstein.com/germany/

(has a nice b&w map showing positioning)

http://www.young-germany.de/topic/live/travel-location/dream-vacation-germanys-castle-hotels

https://great-castles.com/hostiletale.php

Lots of good ideas - if you want rival noble families and arguments about heraldry making them related works.

The two brothers castles in Germany are a great starting point (it's sort of the like the right and left Twix factories if you've seen the commercials).

There are different versions of the story, rather than the hokey romance I prefer the cheating blind sister one (2nd link) - much more warhammery.

http://www.castle-liebenstein.com/germany/

(has a nice b&w map showing positioning)

http://www.young-germany.de/topic/live/travel-location/dream-vacation-germanys-castle-hotels

https://great-castles.com/hostiletale.php

I like the idea of feuding brothers and some great story material there. Thanks for sharing!