Confusion on strength bonus

By LEGION7698, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hello all,

New person here, new to both Deathwatch and any RPG games at all. Will also apologise if this question has been asked already but I have been unable to find anything that answers my questions.

So my confusion is on strength vs strength bonus and the way it is worked out. I have already worked out how the unnatural strength bonus works plus the +20 to strength from power armour. So if I generated a strength of 40 my bonus would be 8. Then add the armour bonus after giving me a strength of 60 and a bonus of 10. However this formula always results in the strength bonus being lower than double the first number of the strength.

My confusion is coming from looking at some sample characters. In all the cases I can find the strength bonus is always double the recorded strength plus two. So it would have a strength of 40 but the bonus would say 10. Is this the same as the formula above but when inputting into the character sheet you only mark the strength bonus from, the armour and don't mark down the boost to strength or am I missing something.

Regards,

Legion.

The bonus from Power Armor is not multiplied by Unnatural Strength.

I believe that the NPC profiles usually list only the base strength, that is, don't include the bonus from Power Armor.

However, if you're doing up your own character, I'd make a notation next to Strength, to detail the specifics or any modifiers. Include the +20 and make a note that you've included it or don't have it included and make a note that it exists to be included, whichever is your preference.

I believe that the NPC profiles usually list only the base strength, that is, don't include the bonus from Power Armor.

Looks like it's not very consistent; randomly checking the presented Deathwatch NPCs in the closest two books, tOR and tJR, the former lists only base strength, while the latter adds the armour's +20.

The rest is good advice. My players usually don't include the bonus to the base stat to avoid confusion, but include the +2 on the Strength bonus field, because it's easier to calculate damage that way.

Looks like it's not very consistent; randomly checking the presented Deathwatch NPCs in the closest two books, tOR and tJR, the former lists only base strength, while the latter adds the armour's +20.

The rest is good advice. My players usually don't include the bonus to the base stat to avoid confusion, but include the +2 on the Strength bonus field, because it's easier to calculate damage that way.

Mmm, true, NPC profiles are usually inconsistent in how they're presented - across all the game lines. It's especially common in the weapon damage sections. I think FFG doesn't actually have a standard set of guidelines, and so it varies from book to book. Usually though, within a given book it'll be consistent, but I wouldn't guarantee that it always is.

Personally, I usually end up not using the official charsheets, as I tend to find there's not enough space on them to handle all the things that need to be handled, instead I usually just end up writing things down as a somewhat formatted text document, sometimes using tables, sometimes not, and have multiple info columns for stats - base ability score, equipment modifiers to score, net score, ability bonus, and can easily add notes as needed. Plus, if I'm doing hardcopy, my handwriting is terrible . This is, at least in part, derived from D&D-style charsheets, where ability boosting items/effects are common, but they can also go away suddenly.

But really, as long as whatever method or methods you use works for you to have all the information you need without negatively impacting your ability to play, just do whatever works best for you. Although, I'd suggest working out whichever method you find works best and then just sticking to it, but I'd also suggest talking to your group about it - if they've been playing for a while, they might have a group method already, or if they're also new, then you and they might want to decide on a method to use as a group for consistency.

Weapon damage is supposed to be consistent - at least according to MotX (Enemy Profile Presentation, p. 5.):

"In all the entries presented in this book, the characteristics, movement values, and weapon damages have been presented with all modifications included. For example, a Chaos Space Marine’s Strength includes the +20 increase from his Astartes Power Armour, and his Strength Bonus matches this and the effects of the Unnatural Strength Trait (and the Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer’s force weapon includes his Psy Rating in its Damage and Penetration). Weapon damages include the effects of the enemy’s Strength Bonus and Talents that always apply to damage such as the Crushing Blow Talent. Talents, Traits and Special rules that have a variable effect or will only apply in particular circumstances, such as the Hammer Blow Talent, have not been combined into the profiles presented here. It is also important to note that NPCs are not necessarily bound to follow the same strictures for their profiles as player characters."

Cheers for the quick responses guys. As I'm still new I'll probably be back soon with more questions.

Welcome on board. If there's anything unclear, ask away, we'll be glad to help.

Weapon damage is supposed to be consistent - at least according to MotX (Enemy Profile Presentation, p. 5.):

"In all the entries presented in this book, the characteristics, movement values, and weapon damages have been presented with all modifications included. For example, a Chaos Space Marine’s Strength includes the +20 increase from his Astartes Power Armour, and his Strength Bonus matches this and the effects of the Unnatural Strength Trait (and the Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer’s force weapon includes his Psy Rating in its Damage and Penetration). Weapon damages include the effects of the enemy’s Strength Bonus and Talents that always apply to damage such as the Crushing Blow Talent. Talents, Traits and Special rules that have a variable effect or will only apply in particular circumstances, such as the Hammer Blow Talent, have not been combined into the profiles presented here. It is also important to note that NPCs are not necessarily bound to follow the same strictures for their profiles as player characters."

Within a particular book it usually is consistently the same method used. But hop to a different book, and it might or might not be the same as the first book.

But that having been said, it's a good idea to double check the profile(s) that you're planning to use, just in case they made a mistake somewhere.

Cheers for the quick responses guys. As I'm still new I'll probably be back soon with more questions.

Welcome, always good to see someone new to the hobby. Ask anything you need to. Somebody will have an answer sooner or later.