The Warp

By Cardinalsin2, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Cardinalsin said:

Visitor Q said:

Remember that most people don't enter the warp. 99% of humanity in the WH40K universe will never leave their planets surface.

True - but in absolute terms, we are talking millions (billions?) of people entering the Warp. Hundreds of thousands of Imperial Guard, trading vessels, and so on. If the Warp is really so mind-blowingly, unfathomably terrifying - well, let's just say that if that were the case I'd definitely be keeping the portholes shut.

Well, if it helps, I've read from a verity of sources that's exactly what tey do (though there seems to be an equal number of sources that say they don't). It seems that the modern GW interpretation of warp travel involves heavy shutters going down over all portholes and vista walls prior to translating allowing only the navigator(s) in their dome to actually see what's going on in the warp.

@CardinalSin
I dunno about you, but I'd rather strap myself to a rocket and fire myself into a cold and unforgiving vacuum with just a thin spacesuit between me and death, than fly in a sea of malevolent, gibbering psychic energy that can literally unmake me or mutate me in the blink of an eye, even with twelve inches of plasteel and a geller field protecting me.

That's the point. It can't - most of the time. Just like the vacuum mostly can't harm you if you're wearing a spacesuit.

Warp Travel is stable and reliable enough to allow the Imperium to continue existing.

@N0-1_H3r3
Depends on how you define 'relatively undamaged'. The fact that it's a Space Hulk and not an intact ship suggests more than a little change.

'Relatively undamaged' as in 'still being even remotely recognizable and not completely obliterated by being exposed to the Warp without Geller Fields'.

Cardinalsin said:

Visitor Q said:

Remember that most people don't enter the warp. 99% of humanity in the WH40K universe will never leave their planets surface.

True - but in absolute terms, we are talking millions (billions?) of people entering the Warp. Hundreds of thousands of Imperial Guard, trading vessels, and so on. If the Warp is really so mind-blowingly, unfathomably terrifying - well, let's just say that if that were the case I'd definitely be keeping the portholes shut.

Just as Graver says....

I always make a point of telling my PC's that Warp protocol is port holes closed, Gellar Field up, Warp Drive engaged....