Tekken 6, King of the Iron Dud tournament

By Awaken2, in UFS Off Topic

You're not a true champion until you buy the Evo arcade stick carrying bag.

MarcoPulleaux said:

You're not a true champion until you buy the Evo arcade stick carrying bag.

Lol i wanted one so bad but Im broke. Oh wells.

@Hatman and Andrew- The stick is pretty solid. If you have an EX2 though its roughly the same quality. The buttons on the Tekken stick are a little bit better, but i think it comes with the same stock hori stick. Yeah the response lag is not an issue. I haven't really been dropping inputs on Nfxon's stick. I just don't like the mushy buttons. I'm spoiled by super broken-in Sanwas.

@Shinji- Do you play fighting games competitively Shinji? If you're on SF4 hit me up on XBL. Ill play tekken more when they fix online. Also, well have to get games at the Texas Pro Event. Me, Sketch, and Nfxon always travel with sticks/xbawks. Weve got a TE, a modded HRAP EX (my baby), and a Tekken 6 Hori to work with.

ShippuJinrai said:

@Shinji- Do you play fighting games competitively Shinji? If you're on SF4 hit me up on XBL. Ill play tekken more when they fix online. Also, well have to get games at the Texas Pro Event. Me, Sketch, and Nfxon always travel with sticks/xbawks. Weve got a TE, a modded HRAP EX (my baby), and a Tekken 6 Hori to work with

I used to. Marvel vs Capcom 2 was my game, and no, I never used Magneto =D. I have it on XBox, but I don't own a good controller, so yeah, I'd love to play it...and royally lose and be embarrassed due to my inability to play fighting games on an XBox controller.

I'm getting into competitive SF4 and T6, but T6 is like one gigantic research project, and I'm still busy deciphering the code that is Tekken Zaibatsu Forum speak =/

As for SF4, I used to be a top notch Ryu player, but I was sick of Ryu and then became homeless, and it's definitely hard to practice when you're homeless. Never the less, I'm getting back into the game, slowly but surely, with much different, non-Shoto chars :)

I use my street fighter IV tournament edition stick for Tekken 6 and well...everything else.

Anyone else here main Miguel? I am crappy at Tekken 6 and I wanted to see if anyone could give a tip or two for Miguel.

Kizer91 said:

I use my street fighter IV tournament edition stick for Tekken 6 and well...everything else.

Anyone else here main Miguel? I am crappy at Tekken 6 and I wanted to see if anyone could give a tip or two for Miguel.

The good news is I main Miguel.

The bad news is that I'm very new 3D fighting, let alone Tekken, so my only advice is go to training mode and learn his combos and pokes, and see what all his moves do, as well as watch high level videos.

I can't even train right thanks to silly people who demand I bring it down right after class. Too nice a guy....

Tekken Zaibatsu has a notation guide....in plain site.

Well... thanks to Rotbi, I now have Tekken 6.

I just spent the last several hours online getting my ass handed to me. It took me roughly all 30 matches to get my "no pressure" trophy.

Sufficed to say... I hella suck, and won't be playing this online much anymore... because I may as well just lay there, and let them juggle me to death, because well... that's about what happens.

"story" mode wasn't all that bad... wondering what it will take to track down a few of the trophies... that said... time to invoke the powers of google. Then bed.

[20:24] Jeremy Ray: my girlfriend beat me with a kangaroo
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: but
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: you know what else
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: tekken has depth
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: serious gamers can dig it
[20:24] Nick Markey: Stop making excuses for losing to your girlfriend.

TripsEX said:

[20:24] Jeremy Ray: my girlfriend beat me with a kangaroo
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: but
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: you know what else
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: tekken has depth
[20:24] Jeremy Ray: serious gamers can dig it
[20:24] Nick Markey: Stop making excuses for losing to your girlfriend.

stop being a manly man Trips and lose to your gf already.

She beat my ass in Crash Team Racing SO HARD when we hung out last.

I picked T6 on Black Friday for $40, and I've been playing it a bit since.

Things I like:
- Christie, but that's just a normal thing
- the new characters are all cool
- gameplay seems deeper this time around (as if it needed it)

Things I DISLIKE:
- OMG what the hell is up with the load times? Why isn't there an option like in the old games so that if you lost in arcade mode you didn't have to go all the way back to the character select? Now, why would I lose that much in arcade? Oh, I know! It's because...
- A HUGE ******* TELEPORTING CRYSTAL MONSTER IS THE BOSS! Whose idea was this? So here I am, being Christie in my first playthrough and getting raped from a distance by continuous floor attacks from a screen-length tail, or overhead attacks from a screen-length tail, or a series of attacks that resembles having infinite bars in MvC2 being Magneto and spamming Magnetic Shockwaves where you don't have a super jump. Did I say Magneto? Because this boss happens to have some sort of counter move that is EXACTLY Magnetic Tempest. AND he has a guard break move that stuns you and leaves you vulnerable to even his slowest moves. So how do I beat him? Unblockable attacks spam, and sometimes that doesn't even work because he'll teleport out of the way and conveniently land on your face.
- The guide (this isn't a gripe with the game itself) doesn't cover any strategy whatsoever, even general, to defeat the game's boss. REALLY? I know the main focus of the guide is for tournament players to cram as many combos as they can in their heads and start the frame counting process, but if you devote the first 20 or so pages simply to clearing the Campaign mode, can you a paragraph SOMEWHERE telling me how Azazel even behaves? kthbai

There were literally times where I wondered why I got this game, even $20 under retail price, just because I was having everything autoblocked and then thrown and okizeme x 100 where I didn't even have the chance to do a quick roll or something. There goes half my life. Thanks, Azazel.

guitalex2008 said:

Things I DISLIKE:
- OMG what the hell is up with the load times? Why isn't there an option like in the old games so that if you lost in arcade mode you didn't have to go all the way back to the character select? Now, why would I lose that much in arcade? Oh, I know! It's because...
- A HUGE ******* TELEPORTING CRYSTAL MONSTER IS THE BOSS! Whose idea was this? So here I am, being Christie in my first playthrough and getting raped from a distance by continuous floor attacks from a screen-length tail, or overhead attacks from a screen-length tail, or a series of attacks that resembles having infinite bars in MvC2 being Magneto and spamming Magnetic Shockwaves where you don't have a super jump. Did I say Magneto? Because this boss happens to have some sort of counter move that is EXACTLY Magnetic Tempest. AND he has a guard break move that stuns you and leaves you vulnerable to even his slowest moves. So how do I beat him? Unblockable attacks spam, and sometimes that doesn't even work because he'll teleport out of the way and conveniently land on your face.
- The guide (this isn't a gripe with the game itself) doesn't cover any strategy whatsoever, even general, to defeat the game's boss. REALLY? I know the main focus of the guide is for tournament players to cram as many combos as they can in their heads and start the frame counting process, but if you devote the first 20 or so pages simply to clearing the Campaign mode, can you a paragraph SOMEWHERE telling me how Azazel even behaves? kthbai

There were literally times where I wondered why I got this game, even $20 under retail price, just because I was having everything autoblocked and then thrown and okizeme x 100 where I didn't even have the chance to do a quick roll or something. There goes half my life. Thanks, Azazel.

This is why I don't like a lot of modern fighting games. Most people play aracade just to unlock the stories or quick practices while they have down times between playing with friends or online. The brokeness of the end boss is right up there with many other crappy uberhard just to be hard end bosses. He would be a joke in tekken 5 because the run distance is shorter and getting in close is faster. You could avoid half of his crap if you could only move. But they slowed down your movement rate so people didn't do that weird ass back and forth side step dance you see in the EVO videos. I almost returned the game because of the end boss just to let you know.

darklogos said:

I almost returned the game because of the end boss just to let you know.

I like doing Arcade Mode and I don't mind difficulty (I played KOF 2001 and Igniz >>> Azazel). But first of all, I'm not one to look for logic on a fighting game, but what is Azazel anyway? He really does feel like they tacked him on to beat people severely for absolutely no reason at all. I would've much rather played a powered up version of another character, like in the good old days.

I didn't play Tekken 5 much so I wasn't aware that movement was slowed down.

darklogos said:

guitalex2008 said:

Things I DISLIKE:

This is why I don't like a lot of modern fighting games. Most people play aracade just to unlock the stories or quick practices while they have down times between playing with friends or online. The brokeness of the end boss is right up there with many other crappy uberhard just to be hard end bosses. He would be a joke in tekken 5 because the run distance is shorter and getting in close is faster. You could avoid half of his crap if you could only move. But they slowed down your movement rate so people didn't do that weird ass back and forth side step dance you see in the EVO videos. I almost returned the game because of the end boss just to let you know.

First of all, I mean no disrepect at all. I'm not a Tekken fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to say that T6 is by far the best in the series [TTT fanyboy rebuttal here]. While Azazel makes almost no sense, that makes him a perfect fit for this series which has a slew of disconnected and poorly thought out storylines to go with their ill-designed characters... That being said, there are exceptions, and most of the newer designs are better. Overall, beside the Mishima story there's really not much effort put into this story, the game is an excuse to fight, which isn't such a bad thing, as any VF fan can tell you.

The reason why I don't have an issue with the ridiculous monstrosity that is Azazel is that at least they attempt to tie Zafina and Jin into its storyline. On top of that, while overpowered in terms of damage output and speed, he fits the series' emphasis on juggling and is not even in the same league as anyone inflicted with SNK boss syndrome. Trust me, launch and juggle that guy and watch his life deplete insanely fast. That, in my opinion is the key to beating it consistently. Tekken is the only series other than DOA that says, "hey what everyone else would call a gameplay flaw, we're going to celebrate as a strength". Adding bounds into the gameplay just further solidifies the fact that Namco wants the game to be played not by in-depth countering, defense systems, and mind games but by juggling and more juggling.

All I can ask is, if Tekken has badly-designed characters/backgrounds, what fighting game has better ones?

As a boss, Azazel is only hard if, like ROTBI said, you don't know how to launch and juggle. I mean, really, that's pretty much the basics of Tekken. Now, as a Christie player you don't really launch, but you sure as **** juggle. Hate to say it, but most players agree Eddy is better in that he's taller, giving him longer reach. Maybe you ought to consider a switch?

Of course, it doesn't matter, because Azazel is a NPC. Don't get mad over a character that can't even be used in tournaments. If you really want to get better at Tekken, you don't play against Azazel;

you play against Steve.

ROTBI said:

Adding bounds into the gameplay just further solidifies the fact that Namco wants the game to be played not by in-depth countering, defense systems, and mind games but by juggling and more juggling.

I'm here to fight, not to make a circus act.

ROTBI is pretty much right on most accounts as far as I care.

But T6 backgrounds are great. Electric Fountain and of course....

SHEEP!

DaiAndOh said:

But T6 backgrounds are great. Electric Fountain and of course....

SHEEP!

SHEEP!

Are my Favourite stage.

Agreed about sheep. Whoever thought of the gimmick of a yodeling stage most likely is (perhaps distantly) related to Vince McMahon. It's so ridiculous that it works flawlessly.

MarcoPulleaux said:

All I can ask is, if Tekken has badly-designed characters/backgrounds, what fighting game has better ones?

As a boss, Azazel is only hard if, like ROTBI said, you don't know how to launch and juggle. I mean, really, that's pretty much the basics of Tekken. Now, as a Christie player you don't really launch, but you sure as **** juggle. Hate to say it, but most players agree Eddy is better in that he's taller, giving him longer reach. Maybe you ought to consider a switch?

Of course, it doesn't matter, because Azazel is a NPC. Don't get mad over a character that can't even be used in tournaments. If you really want to get better at Tekken, you don't play against Azazel;

you play against Steve.

I'd LOVE to launch and juggle. Too busy being launched and juggled to care.

Plus I swear to God this idiot Azazel has autoguard on startup for his biggest moves.

As Zafina, I beat him in like only 5 tries (sounds huge on paper, until you consider that last time it too 17) because I spammed the crap out of f,f+1. I wish I was kidding.

Was it satisfying? Of course not. A boss fight should be challenging, but winning it should also be satisfying because why else would people quarters into the game? Must I pull an Igniz and find AI holes to exploit, taking away from the challenge COMPLETELY?

Also, I'm not really playing Christie anymore. Decided to be even more annoying and took up Alisa. I'd LOVE to say my best character is actually Zafina, considering I've spent hours practicing already, but for OBVIOUS reasons, my Alisa has a 70+% win record while my Zafina has about 55%.

Half the time you can b,b+12 with Alisa and people will stand there going "Hmm, I wonder what's going on... he's sort of glowing a lit-OMG I'M DEAD!"

Ready for another Tekken 6 rant? I asked the game to match me up by RANK instead of connection. Doing that I've ranked up a bit (currently Alisa is 4th dan and Zafina is 2nd dan). But last night, I decided to play a bit with Zafina. I find this Armor King player who has possibly over 1000 matches, 80% of them won, is like 10 ranks above me, and creams me. Obviously. So then I collect myself, stop cursing at him since he can't hear me and decide to keep playing with Zafina. I get matched with him AGAIN. He obviously beats me.

After cursing, I switch to Alisa and say, screw it I'm not getting any money playing as Zafina right now. Guess who is matched up with me? The same Armor King bastard. I decide to go ahead and NOT accept requests from a 4 connection, attempting to freaking avoid him because I'm pissed at that point that he's ranking up and making my win streaks worse REPEATEDLY. I fight someone else, I think I lose. I fight someone else, I win that one. Get Roulette Rush. Fight someone else, win, get roulette. Accept a 3 connection match... IT'S THE ******* SAME ******* ARMOR ******* KING. He obviously beats me, stops my Roulette Rush and at this point I seriously quit.

In other news I decided to do the gay thing (which is apparently accepted so yay) and learned a couple of combos to drag the opponent to the wall helplessly to their deaths. Because that is so much fun. Everyone knows that if you kick a man when he's down, his body will always bounce up for more aerial punishment. Just like in real life. Do I sound sarcastic enough, or should I add some more?

...Goosfraba...

ROTBI said:

...Goosfraba...

guitalex2008 said:

ROTBI said:

...Goosfraba...

I looked that up, and I'm assuming you want me to calm down, and not that you want me to have sex. lol

LOL! That made my laugh pretty hard, dude.

Well Alex, as I'm sure you already know, comboing on the opponent while they're down is a large party of the game, especially for the brasileirinha.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Well Alex, as I'm sure you already know, comboing on the opponent while they're down is a large party of the game, especially for the brasileirinha.

Oh yeah.

It's funny... remember how I said I practiced a combo with Zafina to drag people to the wall to their deaths? My win percentage has gone from like 52 to 62% since I did that. It's like it's now embedded into my muscle memory and I go "OMG he's in the air! *fingers take over my thoughts*"

I even fought that same **** Armor King again. And while I lost (BOTH TIMES, **** rank matching), I did at least come close a lot. In one of those, it came to the wire round 5 and he edged me out just barely. Felt a lot more satisfying than just taking some perfects (which he still did, boo). But I also took a perfect on him, or at least something real close. Which felt REALLY good.

I <3 Zafina... she's just the coolest "I live on the floor" character since Christie and Eddy.

guitalex2008 said:

I <3 Zafina... she's just the coolest "I live on the floor" character since Christie and Eddy.

Yeah, Lady Voldo is my favorite new character in the series too.