I checked it out (an observation by a pro-v3 guy)

By PzVIE, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I just got back from Essen Games Fair and at the booth of Feder & Schwert (the company who will be responsible for the German translation) I happened to watch a group of newbies playing WFRPv3. While they played, I skimmed through the books, looked at the cards and the careers and tried to figure out what the difference, in actual gaming, to v2 is. IMHO, if the GM is the same, the game is the same - it just uses a lot of gimmicks to support the GM (and yes, to make it look better...). I love the new dice (instead of "make a Challenging Whatever-Test you now grab an additional dice or two), I admired the career sheets and I loved the cards and all the other gimmicks. It was my impression that they aid the game; help it flowing and support the GM.

Basically, it was my impression that the system tries to be a pen-less pen & paper RPG. You have lots of counters and markers and two-sided cards that can easily be used to show a different status; you do not need to write and erase on your character sheet. If you (as an experienced GM I would assume) look at a player's "character-area" you should be able to check out his status easily, without asking and interrupting the game flow.

Of course, you'll probably need a larger table...

And off-topic: I also picked up a copy of Rogue Trader (oh man, that also looks cool!) and was able to get a set of the three basic 4.0 D&D books very cheaply. There are so many references to this game in these forums, I thought I should take a closer look at them preocupado.gif

Interesting info about V3...

did you get an idea on the numbers of spells/blessing provided in the base set? and how many that equates to per college/faith?

did they keep the generic petty magic aspects of V1/V2, did you notice?

on the whole though you got a postive feeling and you weren't just blinded by the lights shining off all the pretty sparkly things?

I think the game has substence as well as style, if the designer diaries are anything to go by, but it would be nice to have that semi-confirmed from someone who has touched and wat's more looked through the books!

My friend at Eissen said it was pretty cool. He got to actually watch a combat in action, and didn't think it was too fiddly or hard to follow. He also got to talk to the FFG people, who he said were extremely nice and helpful.

He's actually been the "anti-WHRP3" person this entire time, but now he's admitting to being won over to the mechanics. So he owes me a drink next time I visit him in Germany.

It's a shame - two friends of mine were in Essen this weekend, and they didn't manage to take a look at this. Great to hear your impressions, though, thanks for sharing them!

very cool! its nice to see that someone got their hands on it and reported on it : ) very nice

Pumpkin,

sorry, can't answer your questions - I only skimmed through the books, watched the session in play a little and read some of the cards while trying to figure out how all the gimmicks work. I would have loved to play a session, but I was only there for three days and my to-do list was already too long to fit in an RPG-session. Especially when I plan to get this game anyway happy.gif

No problem, now the game is getting close to release, I'm get quite impatient to find out as much about it as possible, just let me buy it already FFG!!!

were the sizes of the cards the US standard and small size? I assume the cards are going to get a lot of use within the group and so I'm thinking of using card protectors but as far as I'm aware FFG haven't confirmedwhat size the cards are yet (although I assume US size)

pumpkin said:

No problem, now the game is getting close to release, I'm get quite impatient to find out as much about it as possible, just let me buy it already FFG!!!

were the sizes of the cards the US standard and small size? I assume the cards are going to get a lot of use within the group and so I'm thinking of using card protectors but as far as I'm aware FFG haven't confirmedwhat size the cards are yet (although I assume US size)

This was discussed at GenCon and in a few other places, but I'm sure it's been lost in the great e-shuffle. I can shed some light on this.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay uses a combination of Mini American and Standard American size cards, based on the type of information contained on the card (for example, Locations and Actions use the Standard American size, while Wounds and Talents use the Mini American size).

Mini American Cards: 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (41x63 MM)
Examples of games with cards that this sleeve will fit: Arkham Horror™, Twilight Imperium®&™, World of Warcraft: The Board Game™, Red November™, Cave Troll™

Standard American Cards: 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" (56x87 MM)
Examples of games with cards that this sleeve will fit: Citadels™, Munchkin™, Descent: Journeys in the Dark™, War of the Ring™, Bohnanza™

Good to now the size of cards, now I can buy me some more protect deck for my presious cards.

Kyos said:

It's a shame - two friends of mine were in Essen this weekend, and they didn't manage to take a look at this. Great to hear your impressions, though, thanks for sharing them!

I also missed it!

I was too busy trying all kind of new games (by the way, Chaos in the Old World is a jewel)... Anyway, I'll be busy trying all the new games I bought in the next weeks, so I'll be able to wait until I get my copy.

ynnen said:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay uses a combination of Mini American and Standard American size cards, based on the type of information contained on the card (for example, Locations and Actions use the Standard American size, while Wounds and Talents use the Mini American size).

Mini American Cards: 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (41x63 MM)
Examples of games with cards that this sleeve will fit: Arkham Horror™, Twilight Imperium®&™, World of Warcraft: The Board Game™, Red November™, Cave Troll™

Standard American Cards: 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" (56x87 MM)
Examples of games with cards that this sleeve will fit: Citadels™, Munchkin™, Descent: Journeys in the Dark™, War of the Ring™, Bohnanza™

I bought a lot of these from the FFG web store, but the shipment fee you charge to send them to Europe seems very high...

Are you considering some kind of arrangement with Europe distributors for these sleeves? I have been unable to find them in European shops or websites.

Anybody in the forum knows where to find them in The Netherlands or Spain?

PzVIE said:

Basically, it was my impression that the system tries to be a pen-less pen & paper RPG. You have lots of counters and markers and two-sided cards that can easily be used to show a different status; you do not need to write and erase on your character sheet. If you (as an experienced GM I would assume) look at a player's "character-area" you should be able to check out his status easily, without asking and interrupting the game flow.

How badly will my cat jumping on the table and knocking around the counters and the cards interrupt the game flow, if my PCs do not have superhuman capacity for remembering what their settings were?

Mikael Hasselstein said:

How badly will my cat jumping on the table and knocking around the counters and the cards interrupt the game flow, if my PCs do not have superhuman capacity for remembering what their settings were?

It will not at all, or at least no more than a cat jumping on the table and knocking the beer spilling it over character sheets and notes.

You just tell Your players that for some reason known only to himself, Tzeentch intervened, and changed the tide lengua.gif .

PS: Is Your cat a Chaos Cat? I love cats gran_risa.gif

Oh, and that gave me an idea.

What will happen, if someday PC's will meet a little, few weeks old, purry cute kitten with beautiful long white furr that is curious of the surrounding world, funny, like to play with its pray, has sharp claws and needle like teeth and likes to eat his meals alive... and those huge hypnotic eyes.

The cat is a host for a demon of Slaanesh that spills poisonous thoughts into its victims minds.

What will story unravel?
What will PC's do?
Will the kitten gain their love?
Will they be able to find out what it is?
Who will suspect a cat? All in all being cute, biting, purring, and playing with meals is what normal cats do... and those huge hypnotic eyes...
Is it really that simple to dispose of a creature that has 9 lives ?

Sunatet said:

He has 9 FATE points... all GM:s knows how hard he is to kill then!

Evil the Cat... a minor setback

Sunatet said:

The cat is a host for a demon of Slaanesh that spills poisonous thoughts into its victims minds.

What will story unravel?
What will PC's do?
Will the kitten gain their love?
Will they be able to find out what it is?
Who will suspect a cat? All in all being cute, biting, purring, and playing with meals is what normal cats do... and those huge hypnotic eyes...

I suggest you develop that idea and publish the first v3 epic campaign, becoming as famous as TEW gran_risa.gif

... and of course earn lots of $$, as all people in the RPG industry do partido_risa.gif

PS: in the last chapter, just before the Slaaneshi cat is killed and the PCs want to declore victory, a Hound of Khorne shows up and kills them all. At least, he kills the cat!

PzVIE said:

I suggest you develop that idea and publish the first v3 epic campaign, becoming as famous as TEW gran_risa.gif

... and of course earn lots of $$, as all people in the RPG industry do partido_risa.gif

PS: in the last chapter, just before the Slaaneshi cat is killed and the PCs want to declore victory, a Hound of Khorne shows up and kills them all. At least, he kills the cat!

Yeah, and I call it "Kitten from hell and a dog that ate it" gran_risa.gif .

By the way, that part when Hound of Khorne shows up made my day gran_risa.gif .

Sunatet, if you use it, be sure to mention me in the credits lengua.gif

BTW, thanks for that incredible calendar, dude! aplauso.gif

You have to give him a cute name like 'Mr. Mittens'

Methinks there may be no need for a Scenario Contest this year – undoubtedly Sunatet is the pre-winner! Great story... gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hey guys, don't forget that part of the credit belongs to PzVIE for the bloody Hound of Khorne ending gran_risa.gif

Mr. Mittens ROCKS gran_risa.gif

Hahahaha, love the cat.

Even better, when the PCs go into battle, the cat aids them the first few times. When one hero completely turns it into a pet, that's when it starts working its mind magic.

At some point, you'll have to do a Harvey Birdman joke: Miiiiindtaking! WoooOOOOoooooOOooo!

PzVIE said:

Sunatet, if you use it, be sure to mention me in the credits lengua.gif

BTW, thanks for that incredible calendar, dude! aplauso.gif

Seconded.

Your calendar is awesome! Thanks for such a easy & useful tool!

Jaysin1414 said:

Seconded.

Your calendar is awesome! Thanks for such a easy & useful tool!

You are welcome guys, happy to help gran_risa.gif

Oh, and I think that Mr. Mittens will go live some time after the 3-rd ed goes live (depending on my free time, crazy ideas and ability to assimilate the new rules) gui%C3%B1o.gif .

(Or at least I will try, since english is not my strong side, don't expect long colorfull descriptions, more like guidelines gui%C3%B1o.gif )

And of course credit will be granted to PvZIE for Hound of Khorne idea, and NezziR for cats name gran_risa.gif .

a look inside