Against the Savages - Beginner's GM question

By TheDraconicLord, in Only War Game Masters

Greetings everyone,

Hopefully I will soon GM my first Only War adventure (and my first as a GM) and to start things slowly, I've decided to do the "Against the Savages" adventure that's in the Core Rulebook.

Now, I have read it at least 2 times and compared the stats of the Orks and their gear, and there's something that's honestly boggling my mind: What the heck can an Ork do against a simple Chimera?

From what I see, if the players manage to get a Chimera as they are supposed, except for the big mek and it's accompanying vehicles, I haven't seen a single weapon that scratch the Front and Side hulls. Ok, maybe flamers or psychic powers can work too. I have read the combat rules but I don't see anything like "boarding the enemy vehicle", so I really don't see what's stopping the players from conquering the Refinery by parking their Chimera, get the orks attention and laugh as they mow down the charging Orks. 50 meters between the gate and the start of the jungle is a lot of terrain to cross and the Orks being Orks, I can imagine them running and shooting their Sluggas just because they can and make cool BANG noises.

I have thought about arming 1 or 2 of them with Rokkit Launcha like in the 40k miniature game, but there's no stats for it in the OW.

There are stats for Rokkitz in Only War. Check the Wartrukk also. No harm in giving the Orks a bit extra mechanised oomph and options to upscale to counter the players.

I have read the combat rules but I don't see anything like "boarding the enemy vehicle"

You could always houserule it !

Generally the Chimera is just to get your players from Point A to B in that sense . But there are many cases where The players will need to get out of the Vehicle.

I would Suggest you use Strength and acrobatics tests depending on if a player or NPC is trying to use brute force and muscle to climb up onto said Vehicle, or if they are trying to do some fancy wall running.

For Example an Ork would most likely use his muscle to climb onto the vehicle and attempt to pull the hatch off the commanders turret.

Where as a dark Elder would most likely do some fancy Matrix style running up the side and do a neat little back flip onto the Chimera.

Rocket launcher stats can also be found in the Only war Bestiary .

Edited by CommissarWilliams

Remember that you don't play the orks. You play the god. And you can think of anything you want. Even something like gate blocked by an ork rokk. Mwahahahaha!

bomb squigs are a;ways a favorite.

1) Krak bombs.

2) Your players don't have to know what the Orks have in their arsenal or what can they do.

3) Force them to come out of the Chimera: the orks may have built a trap that immobilizes the vehicle, or the main gate may have to be opened from inside the refinery, or something like that.

I played this scenario when the beta book appeared, and everyone was freaked out by the orks (remembering their first experience against them) and never realized that they were secure inside the Chimera...

Does not "against the savages" have ork battlewagon for vehicle regiments? Those can have pretty tough firepower, use kill kannon against tanks and rockit launchas against Chimeras.