a $400 MSRP monster!!

By Ruvion, in War of the Ring: Collector's Edition

Worth it?

I thought that Space Hulk 3e was causing waves breaking the 100 barrier in its limited print run...I don't know if it's an artifact of great power, but it is an artifact when it comes to its price. Price is right for you gamers?

Any notable changes (other than painted figs and a new map) from the <$100 edition?

It's a good deal to get all of the painted miniatures. Too bad it is way out of my price range though.

It's $140 MSRP to buy both the base game and its expansion so its really only a $260 delta. Considering what it might cost to have someone paint up the figures for you its not that bad seeing as you also get other niceties as well...

Exactly. And imagine how long it would take to paint the whole thing up. For me, it takes 20 to 30 minutes a mini. That is a lot of time freed up for just $400.

I'd love to see the inside of the box. it's sounds a bit extravegant...

HauRuck said:

only a $260 delta.

ONLY?!?

Well, my hopes are dashed, $400 is far outside my budget. Maybe FFG can set up a payment plan.

"Any notable changes (other than painted figs and a new map) from the <$100 edition?"

The biggest plus (beside the figures & board) is that the cards are much larger with a larger font making it much easier to read, particularly for those of us who can't read the cards in the base game even WITH reading glasses! The CE also comes with a beautiful velevet lined wooden game box/case with compartments to hold all the figures individually, marbelized dice, an 80 page rulebook (with updated rules accounting for past FAQ) a gollum figure and ringwraith figure not included with the standard edition, and an embroidered bag to hold tiles, Is it worth the $400 price tag? I guess it depends on your own personal preferences. For me, it's worth it just for the painted figures alone, but the larger cards will definitely make it more enjoyable to play the game and the rest of the upgrades will enhance the game playing experience substantially as well, so I went ahead and bought it.

Miah999 said:

Well, my hopes are dashed, $400 is far outside my budget. Maybe FFG can set up a payment plan.

That's pretty much what I did. When I first heard about the CE, some 2 years ago, I set up my own layaway, putting $20 each month into saving account. When it hit $360, I stopped adding money to it and have just left it alone for the past 6 months or so. It took a lot of will power not to dip into it for other games, but being able to hit the Buy button with no worries about funds, it was worth it.

The only problem I'm going to have is when it shows up and my wife gets a look at it. Despite saving up for it, I know she will give many complaints about what the $400 could have been spent on.

I can buy this game? Or pay my rent for the month! Saddly, with the current context of employment I am in, I cannot afford both... But hey, this is not a game for everybody! I will still enjoy playing with the normal edition and altough painted minis are awesome, it is not a requirement for having fun!

Quite nice game tough and maybe, one day, I will be able to buy a collector's edition version of one of my favourite games. Good job Fantasy Flight for such a great edition.

As cool as this is. I cannot justify paying 400 bones. I also already own the original release (which I think the map board is better) and its expansion and have painted all of my own pieces. So unless I had the cash, didn't already own the game and couldn't paint my own minis then I probably would have jumped on this one. Given the look fo the box I could probably just make my own if I REALLY wanted to truck a kickass oversized tome around with me.