Career: Tradesman?

By kid_happy, in WFRP House Rules

I've taken a look for a 3ed Tradesman Career but don't see anything. Seem like a pretty common career to have been missed. I'm starting a campaign and would like to have a blacksmith for one of the players. He recently told me his plan is to get a forge and he see himself doing that as a hobby when he retires (quite a few years yet). I thought it'd be awesome to have this career available to him.

Has anyone come up with anything? I don't see anything in my searches. Most of the fan based careers are a bit more exotic. The skills, characteristics and talents are easy enough. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on advances and career ability?

Cheers,

Davy

I would use something like Boatman and Scribe as the sample to work with but make it a bit more specific as trades very in what skills, abilities are likely valued etc.

The career ability might be modeled on the NPC action "Grace Under Pressure", something that is either fortune die on uses of the skill in trade capacity or minus one challenge die a die on a check in the tradecraft of the career.

A skill/talent heavy and action/wound light approach generally.

Edited by valvorik

Commoner is a broad career which is a good starting career for a smith (or a farmer, a fisherman, etc).

Pedlar can work for a trader, Burger can also fit as a starting point for a trader.

I was going to suggest Burgher as well. It's more of an urban tradesperson role.

Excellent suggestions, I just read over the Burgher and that's not a bad fit. As it's a Blacksmith, I'll change up the following:

Primary Characteristics : Intelligence, Fellowship - > Willpower, Toughness

Career Skills: Charm, Discipline, Education, Folklore, Tradecraft -> Charm, Discipline, Intuition, Folklore, Tradecraft

Talent Slots: Reputation x2 -> 1 Focus and 1 Reputation

Career Ability: Once per session, you may add Δ to any Tradecraft or Intuition check

Conservative 2

Skill 3

Fortune 1

Reckless 0

Action 1

Talent 2

Wound 1

I read “ The Blacksmith's Craft: A Primer of Tools & Methods ” by Charles McRaven last week and my adjustments are based on my impressions of the author and some of his feelings on the trade. Patience and endurance seem to be the characteristics that allow one to work steel without wearing yourself out swinging a hammer all day. Staying calm and accurate gets you further than brute strength. Also, I took Intuition and dropped out Education as it is used on Evaluating rolls. I figure it makes sense when looking at ones work and comparing it to the competition as well as recognizing quality supplies such as good coal and iron/steel. Also, it’d be handy when someone is trying to barter down the prize of a good or some labour with a Guile test.