Need some professional advice on All Paul Wall

By MarcoPulleaux, in UFS Deck Building

I need some major advice on All Paul Phoenix

Paul Wall

Actions: 3

3x The Toughest in the Universe 3/5 (All/Fire/Order)

Assets: 6

3x Path of the Master 2/5 +2-MID [unique]
3x Paul's Gi 2/4 +2-MID [unique] (All/Fire/Order)

Attacks: 17

3x Phoenix Smasher 5/3 +2-MID [Punch] (All/Fire/Order)
4x Hammer of the Gods 5/3 +2-HIGH [Punch] [stun: 2] (All/Fire/Order)
3x Gut Drill 5/3 +2-MID [Punch] [Reversal]
3x Tandoya 5/3 [Punch] [stun: 1] (All/Fire/Order)
4x Turn Thruster 4/2 +1-MID [Punch] [stun: 1] (All/Fire/Order)

Foundations: 36

4x The Ultimate Team 3/5 +2-LOW (All/Fire/Order)
4x Bloodline Rebellion 3/5 +3-HIGH [Desperation: 0] (All/Order)
4x For the Money 2/5 +3-MID (All/Fire)
3x Best Friends 2/5 +3-HIGH (All/Fire/Order)
4x Financial Troubles 2/5 (All/Fire/Order)
4x Boxing is Life 2/5
3x Body of Souls 2/5
3x Controller of Souls 2/5
3x Hunt for Jin 1/5 +2-LOW
4x Ancient Fighting Style 1/4 +4-MID

Replace the Boot with Nuetron Bomb. There is NO reason not to run it in any of it's symbols.

Neutron bomb plus genius alchemist is great..

Neutron Bomb's in there =)

My whole thing is...I want him to do more than just abuse Gut Drill as a reversal. How do most people kill with Paul Phoenix?

I think your missing that one algol 1/4 +4m foundation ancient fighting style I think it's called.

I don't see the value of ancient fighting style in the meta. Maybe you can inlighten me a bit.

darklogos said:

I don't see the value of ancient fighting style in the meta. Maybe you can inlighten me a bit.

I don't know if I can inlighten you, I guess I could mail you a lightbulb. however I could Enlighten you, but first, take a quick look at Polio's deck list, ponder some of the effects, then think to yourself "why would Kiit recommend ancient fighting style."

It looks solid to me, what exactly are the problems that you are having Shinji?

VikramS said:

It looks solid to me, what exactly are the problems that you are having Shinji?

Not necessarily problems, rather, I want some people who have experience using Paul Phoenix or playing against him to tell me if I'm missing anything, how he kills, etc.

I think Jeremy Ray has him built off All, and Alex Marco posted is T8 SAS Fire build, so they would be good ones for advice. However, playing with and against him, he's pretty fast and abusive and frequently Turn Thruster and Smasher kill people. SUPAH STUN is kinda nice too. He abuses For The Money better than any other character, not shocking since it's his freaking card.

Honestly, Gut Drill is a mean card but you should be killing with either a string of attacks or Smasher every time. Also, seriously HAMMER OF THE GODS is the ****. Get some and murder with it.

kiit said:

darklogos said:

I don't know if I can inlighten you, I guess I could mail you a lightbulb. however I could Enlighten you, but first, take a quick look at Polio's deck list, ponder some of the effects, then think to yourself "why would Kiit recommend ancient fighting style."

So tired but can't sleep or spell right now!

Honestly I'd replace Turn Thruster with Hammer of the Gods. Turn Thruster is good, but Hammer... It's Hammer! The damage pump can get ludacrous if you're running a small number of crappy blocks. And I don't get how you're having problem killing folks with Path, Thruster, AND Hammer (if you throw it in).

Hammer of the gods + ancient fighting style.. think it's enough said

Mordai said:

The Ultimate Team + your opponent's attack + ancient fighting style.. think it's enough said

Fixed that for you since ancient fighting style is only playable during your opponent's attack. close though.

Look at ancient fighting styles block modifier :P then look at hammer of the gods.. I bet you see what I mean

Mordai said:

Look at ancient fighting styles block modifier :P then look at hammer of the gods.. I bet you see what I mean

eh was looking at the reduce damage by a bunch with the ultimate team, then draw a bunch back (digging for a good block/gut drill) but that works too

MarcoPulleaux said:

Paul Wall

3x Gut Drill 5/3 [Punch] [Reversal]
4x Neutron Bomb 4/3 +2-MID (All/Fire/Order)
4x Turn Thruster 4/2 +1-HIGH [Punch] [stun: 1] (All/Fire/Order)
3x Pommel Smash 3/3 [stun: 1] (All/Fire/Order)

3x The Ultimate Team 3/5 +2-LOW (All/Fire/Order)
4x Best Friends 2/5 +3-HIGH (All/Fire/Order)
3x Boxing is Life 2/5
4x Genius Alchemist 2/5
3x Body of Souls 2/5
4x Hunt for Jin 1/5 +2-LOW

I think it looks pretty solid, however the foundation lineup can use alot more streamlining.

Also, you need Hammer. Its one of the best attacks in the format, not to mention a punch.

Body of Souls in my eyes has lost alot of merit, momentum generation is hard and unless you play it out on first turn your never going to utilize its ability (cuz by the time you play it turn two the game is usually over turn 3). Plus it has no block. I think you can cut them entirely.

Id trim on the Genius Alchemist for the same reason. No block hurt and ideally For the Money will make it alot of times that it doesnt even matter.

You need Ancient Fighting Style. Synergy with Ultimate Team (which should be at 4 btw), a +4 attack with Hammer, anti discard ability and a 1 foundation are too good to pass up

MarcoPulleaux said:

Paul Wall

4x Hammer of the Gods 5/3 +2-HIGH [Punch] [stun: 2] (All/Fire/Order)
3x Gut Drill 5/3 [Punch] [Reversal]
3x Neutron Bomb 4/3 +2-MID (All/Fire/Order)
4x Pommel Smash 3/3 [stun: 1] (All/Fire/Order)

4x The Ultimate Team 3/5 +2-LOW (All/Fire/Order)
3x Best Friends 2/5 +3-HIGH (All/Fire/Order)
3x Boxing is Life 2/5
3x Body of Souls 2/5
4x Hunt for Jin 1/5 +2-LOW
4x Ancient Fighting Style 1/4 +4-MID

...*wakes up*

I meant for the above to be my edit, not a quote -_-

Nevertheless, those are the changes <3

...so...how's mah drivin?

Anybody else know of anything Paul-related? :)

I run All Paul Phoenix, sir.

Good choice on the symbol. All plays more fluently than Fire.

You got the Action/Asset lineup perfectly. I'll share my attack lineup with you:

Attacks: 16
4x Gut Drill
4x Hammer of the Gods
4x Tandoya
4x Turn Thruster

Bloodline Rebellion is like... the MVP with this attack lineup. Calling "Punch" nets you any attack in your deck. You can't really do that with anything else, like Stun, because Gut Drill doesn't have it. Also, Boxing is Life will work on any attack here, unlike Neutron Bomb and Pommel Smash.

IMO, Phoenix Smasher isn't all that great. It seems like his worst punch to me. If anything, Turn Thruster would be his finisher. We all know how important Gut Drill and Hammer of the Gods are. Tandoya would be better if it had a block but it's still a really good punch to play. Low zone catches lots of people off guard. While Pommel Smash is really good when combined with Paul Phoenix, it doesn't do enough damage to be justified as a solid attack for him. IMO, that's better left for the sideboard.

Your foundation base is very much like mine, except I run 4x Boxing is Life. I find the speed pump very crucial in a lot of my games.

Good luck, sir.

You must have missed an update

I got rid of Pommel because, yeah, it isn't necessary in Paul who IS teh Pommel =D.

So I replaced it with Paul's version of Lifte: Turn Thruster :) .

I've heard both sides of the story, that Smasher is his "worst punch", but that it also "wins most of his games."

It's in here in 3s, as well as Gut Drill and Neutron, as 3 should be all I need, especially since I can just Body of Souls them if I need them for another turn.

I did consider Tandoya, but it was Tandoya vs Turn Thruster, 3-check versus damage output, and well, Thruster is more prone to win me games, has a tasty block, and 1 lower difficulty.

MarcoPulleaux said:

I did consider Tandoya, but it was Tandoya vs Turn Thruster, 3-check versus damage output, and well, Thruster is more prone to win me games, has a tasty block, and 1 lower difficulty.

Well yeah, Turn Thruster wins most of your games. You kinda wish every punch was Turn Thruster.

I concur with Shaneth. I currently use all paul and I have the same line up as him.
I never saw a reason to run phoeni smasher. I also don't like committing my own foundations for effects as I try to kill people early or if I don't kill them I want to have some defense.

But see, if you aren't running Smasher, how do you get the desired damage that Smasher can attest to?