Boomers paint page and conversion charts

By Boomer_J, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

I ordered two Star Wars Imperial Assault Jabba's Realm expansions and one of my rancors was missing it's base I emailed FF to see if I could get the missing base. I was wondering also if any one had any trouble with the rancor miniature putting dents in the hero sheets from packaging issues and the sculpture's spiky bits? Both of my expansions had dents on the Shyla Varad heroes sheets due to the rancor sculpt being all spiky.

I had the same thing happen to my Shyla card. However, I had previously dented my own Davith card by writing something with a pen on top of it so at least now I have a matching set.

I ordered two Star Wars Imperial Assault Jabba's Realm expansions and one of my rancors was missing it's base I emailed FF to see if I could get the missing base. I was wondering also if any one had any trouble with the rancor miniature putting dents in the hero sheets from packaging issues and the sculpture's spiky bits? Both of my expansions had dents on the Shyla Varad heroes sheets due to the rancor sculpt being all spiky.

I am pleased to inform you all that FF is sending me my missing Rancor base. There customer service has always been exceptional. Thank you Fantasy Flight!!!

I just realized that my Mak Eshka'rey looks like Mr green jeans from Captain Kangaroo

Ep. 33.5: Hired Guns, These colors are taken from the Patron only exclusive quick guide and used with the kind permission of Sorastro .

9a0e60d223a012876137872fbd049918.jpg

Here is the conversion for Ep. 33.5: Hired Guns. This was an Patron only exclusive so you wont be able to find a video on this one.

Thanks again to Sorastro for his excellent tutorials and permission to post this Patron only exclusive conversion.

Or you can use the spreadsheet at: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApZjBKR1VkNdhQE8vjgKeJYbnElg

Note: this is a new link. I have went back to all the past post and updated the spreadsheet link.

Edited by Boomer_J
On 1/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, ManateeX said:

I had the same thing happen to my Shyla card. However, I had previously dented my own Davith card by writing something with a pen on top of it so at least now I have a matching set.

Same thing on my Shyla card. So, they might send me one, since it seems to be a systemic issue then. Nice!

3 hours ago, macmastermind said:

Same thing on my Shyla card. So, they might send me one, since it seems to be a systemic issue then. Nice!

They did replace my card but it also had the same problem with the dents. It's ok, they don't show up once sleeved

5 minutes ago, Boomer_J said:

They did replace my card but it also had the same problem with the dents. It's ok, they don't show up once sleeved

Sleeved? There are sleeves I can use for the sheets? Where do I get those???

I use postcard sleeves. You can find them on Amazon.

Ep. 35.5 Wookiee Warriors These colors are taken from the Patron only exclusive quick guide and used with the kind permission of Sorastro .

33a9449896e2e9f0e40d04f212573268.jpg

Or you can use the spreadsheet at: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApZjBKR1VkNdhQE8vjgKeJYbnElg

I ran some excel magic and did a count of each of the Citadel paints. This way you know which ones Sorastro uses most - and which ones are the most important to buy.

Paint Name Range Count
Abaddon Black Base 37
Nuln Oil Shade 37
White Scar Layer 27
Lahmian Medium Technical 25
Agrax Earthshade Shade 24
Leadbelcher Base 24
Mechanicus Standard Grey Base 21
Ceramite White Base 20
Screaming Skull Layer 19
Druchii Violet Shade 18
Mephiston Red Base 18
Karak Stone Layer 17
Rhinox Hide Base 15
Evil Sunz Scarlet Layer 14
Mournfang Brown Base 14
Runefang Steel Layer 14
Eshin Grey Layer 13
Stormhost Silver Layer 13
Ironbreaker Layer 12
Skrag Brown Layer 12
Steel Legion Drab Base 12
Celestra Grey Base 11
XV-88 Base 11
Cadian Fleshtone Layer 10
Kislev Flesh Layer 9
Rakarth Flesh Base 9
Russ Grey Layer 9
Stormvermin Fur Layer 9
Administratum Grey Layer 8
Athonian Camoshade Shade 8
Bloodletter Glaze 8
Carroburg Crimson Shade 7
Drakenhof Nightshade Shade 7
Reikland Fleshshade Shade 7
Warplock Bronze Base 7
Castellan Green Base 6
Hashut Copper Layer 6
Tallarn Sand Layer 6
Tau Light Ochre Layer 6
Wild Rider Red Layer 6
Casandora Yellow Shade 5
Coelia Greenshade Shade 5
Fuegan Orange Shade 5
Gorthor Brown Layer 5
Guilliman Blue Glaze 5
Lamenters Yellow Glaze 5
Necron Compound Dry 5
Ogryn Camo Layer 5
Yriel Yellow Layer 5
Balor Brown Layer 4
Elysian Green Layer 4
Fenrisian Grey Layer 4
Fire Dragon Bright Layer 4
Flash Gitz Yellow Layer 4
Flayed One Flesh Layer 4
Stegadon Scale Green Base 4
Temple Guard Blue Layer 4
Terminatus Stone Dry 4
Ushabti Bone Layer 4
Waywatcher Green Glaze 4
Caledor Sky Base 3
Daemonette Hide Base 3
Dark Reaper Layer 3
Dawnstone Layer 3
Kantor Blue Base 3
Loren Forest Layer 3
Seraphim Sepia Shade 3
Zandri Dust Base 3
Auric Armour Gold Layer 2
Averland Sunset Base 2
Caliban Green Base 2
Lothern Blue Layer 2
Macragge Blue Base 2
Moot Green Layer 2
Pink Horror Layer 2
Retributor Armour Base 2
Screamer Pink Base 2
Skullcrusher Brass Layer 2
Sotek Green Layer 2
Spiritstone Red Technical 2
Stirland Mud Texture 2
Sybarite Green Layer 2
Thunderhawk Blue Layer 2
Tyrant Skull Dry 2
Zamesi Desert Layer 2
Agrellan Earth Technical 1
Baharroth Blue Edge 1
Biel-Tan Green Shade 1
Calgar Blue Layer 1
Deathclaw Brown Layer 1
Dryad Bark Base 1
Hoeth Blue Layer 1
Kabalite Green Layer 1
Longbeard Grey Dry 1
Naggaroth Night Base 1
Nihilakh Oxide Technical 1
Nurgling Green Layer 1
Screaming Bell Base 1
Skarsnik Green Layer 1
Skavenblight Dinge Layer 1
Sycorax Bronze Layer 1
Ulthuan Grey Layer 1
Waaagh! Flesh Base 1
Warboss Green Layer 1
Warpfiend Grey Layer 1

I missed Bugman's Glow - 12

Edited by mattyphilly

I just placed a large order for paint and was looking for a list like this. Thank you! Its too late for me this time around, but i'll reference it before my next order.

Edited by jconway2002
On 11/17/2015 at 9:04 PM, Boomer_J said:

Well here is my first ever attempt at painting miniatures. I guess they turned out ok but I would like the line work to be a bit thinner and cleaner.

Some lessons learned and things I have taken away from this experience are, first off slow down and take your time. For some reason I was in a rush to get all my Troopers done. When you rush you make mistakes. You also will not take the time to fix those mistakes if you feel rushed. Those mistakes will drive you crazy later on if you let them go. No one else will probably notice them but in the back of your mind you will know that they are there and they will haunt you.

Second check your work. I don’t know how many times that I would go to the next step in the painting process and find something I missed in the previous step. You can always stop and fix but it’s a lot easier to fix something before you start the next step.

Third, let it dry! Don’t be in such a hurry that your layers can’t dry. Try to work on something else while you let your paint layers dry. This is where having multiple miniatures to work on comes in handy. Work in an assembly line fashion and by the time you’re done with a layer on the last miniature the first or previous miniature’s paint work should be dry enough to start on the next coat.

Fourth, have everything that you need handy and all the paint colors that you will need laid out. I know this sounds like a no brainer but you will be surprised at how easy this can be to overlook. This includes all reference pictures.

Fifth, it’s not the end of the world if you make a mistake. I know I sound hypocritical after what I said previously about my rushed way of working but you can either fix the mistake or if worse comes to worst strip off the paint and start over.

And finally the thicker your layers the more detail in the casting of the miniature you will lose. Try to keep your layers thin and to a minimum.

One thing not to forget if you like to photograph your miniatures is the camera will distort the proportions of the miniature and magnify any defects you don’t like in your work. So don’t be too disappointed or hard on yourself if you miniatures don’t look perfect in your photos.

Well that’s what I found on my first go at painting miniatures. I hope my work improves as I continue to paint. I know this may be common sense to most but I hope this helps some of you out there that are first timers like me or those on the fence about painting to take the leap.

So feel free to offer some constructive criticism and add some good pointers for first time painters.

a8ea1b711e373991025772a9967d80cf.jpg 8a9ad35af81f1dc425f5d4065933f626.jpg e62c895e9772f94cdd84c6f991a874f0.jpg afb6e9f4a157b6e53df7b7dab2050929.jpg 7eca00b7fdc0abcc1a0eb23495847580.jpg c5ee2fa62abbc14c57701762626feb9d.jpg

I'm just starting out myself. I've only painted three Stormtroopers so far. One thing that I noticed is, while applying the Gloss Varnish, when I applied it to the areas that have Nuln Oil, it tends to look off. Someone suggested to me that I only apply the varnish to the raised areas as this is where the light would hit naturally. Just something to think about. I'm going to give it a go with my next Stormtrooper.

Edited by Lumberjack Nick
On 11/17/2015 at 9:04 PM, Boomer_J said:

My computer glitched. How do I delete posts?