Elves next ?

By magicrealm, in BattleLore

Mind posting the source? Curious to read it first hand :)

I'm technically not suppossed to, but I'll see what I can do.

I hate to say it, but if this is correct, I suspect an NDA was violated somewhere along the lines.

I hate to say it, but if this is correct, I suspect an NDA was violated somewhere along the lines.

Yup, I don't get this either, sounds too unlikely to me. I've never seen an FFG tester breaking openly an NDA. The only leaks seen so far were due to some artists posting art in their private galleries (immediately removed) or the SW leak for The Force Awakens but the source for this one was external.

Plus there's nothing on bgg either. Just a guy who posted in December that he knows from a very reliable yet unquotable source (this for me means the source could be the milkman) Elves are next.

So, if there's proof for this, post the proof. Otherwise for me it's really jibber-jabber.

I'll admit, I think that if/when a new faction for the game comes out, it's very highly likely to be the Latari Elves, just based on other Terrinoth-set games like Runewars and Rune Age. Rune Age hints that an Orc or Dwarf faction could be made, but I think it would be surprising for those to come out before Elves.

However, the question is still timing. If the Elves are currently in development, whoever is working on it would likely be under NDA and thus if there is a leak, someone is violating that - especially if the leak found its way to the internet :)

For me, a leak doesn't come with a surprise. Working in a game dev industry, where a leak would be FAR MORE dangerous than in board games, I've seen leaks from both inside company and outside partners. Even if you work on an unannounced project under a strict NDA - be sure, your peers in other companies would know what it is, due to staff fluctuation and word of mouth.

Yup, I don't get this either, sounds too unlikely to me. I've never seen an FFG tester breaking openly an NDA. The only leaks seen so far were due to some artists posting art in their private galleries (immediately removed) or the SW leak for The Force Awakens but the source for this one was external.

Plus there's nothing on bgg either. Just a guy who posted in December that he knows from a very reliable yet unquotable source (this for me means the source could be the milkman) Elves are next.

So, if there's proof for this, post the proof. Otherwise for me it's really jibber-jabber.

I had found something on BGG, which in fact is where I got it from, but the post isn't there anymore. I emailed the poster about it, but he never responded. It was when the post was removed that I got suspicious. And I am so starved for material that I didn't do my research. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to get your hopes up. Guess I just got carried away. Apologies.

No need to apologize, mate :) The fact that you got no answer could actually mean something, but as said, it'd be rather odd to have such a leak. Also, I'd not take for granted everything that's published on BGG (or anywhere else in the net) unless there's actual evidence (an image of a box, or something like that). There's a lot of trolls around, and often good people (like you or me) got carried away by enthusiasm. I think we have a few facts at hand:

- the game's got a lot of love over the past year (4 expansions, 3 ally packs, an app version and an expansion for the app) and this means that the market for the game is solid (otherwise the company would have stopped the line earlier)

- that of the original 4 races of RuneWars we already have 3 available, hence, Latari coming next sounds more than probable

- and that in general the Terrinoth universe if really loved (got 4 games with the same setting)

so, I think it's a safe bet saying that we'll see Elves arriving. When, well, we don't know. We know they went through a lot of stuff with the Asmodee merge, and that while some lines received a lot of further love, some other lines were slower on the development. Plus - it's easier to see by crosschecking rulebooks - the pool of designers, developers and testers for their games is not that wide, so that in the end to have quality products sometimes the wait could be long.

Regardless, it's nice to see enthusiasm from people wanting more (heck, I tested all the existing expansions for BattleLore including the app and the best reward for the countless hours spent working on them is the enthusiasm of people wantng more)

I know how hard it is to not leak things. Believe me, I wanted to tell the world about Brennan Blackcloud so bad while playtesting the Ashes LCG decks. And in a week or so I get to see a new batch of cards that I have to not leak for four months. :lol:

Wait a minute. You said you playtested the previous expansions? Any chance you could tell us if you are playtesting anything new? Please? Pretty please?

Unfortunately, she can't because part of the non-disclosure agreement for FFG is to not reveal that you are a playtester until the product is officially released. So we can say that we tested for the undead expansions, but nobody can say whether they are or are not currently playtesting anything because it currently isn't released to the public.

Btw, what's the best way to become one? Just go ahead and submit an application via the website? I am unsure about references which they require - 'professional' reference means anybody from your past/present coworkers and personal reference is just anybody?

What does a playtester receive? A download print-and-play set of proxies or actual game/expansion box? Does he get to keep those afterwards?

Btw, what's the best way to become one? Just go ahead and submit an application via the website? I am unsure about references which they require - 'professional' reference means anybody from your past/present coworkers and personal reference is just anybody?

What does a playtester receive? A download print-and-play set of proxies or actual game/expansion box? Does he get to keep those afterwards?

I don't know. I just got contacted out of the blue for being active on the forums. It was a delightful experience.

To become a tester, you may simply send them an application ( here the page on this very site with all the info). As for the references, it could be someone vouching for you, or you could point out a few significant contributions you made over time (like posts in the forum showing knowledge of the rules and so on).

Beware that 95% of the testers I met believe that testing is a walk in a meadow. It's not. It's working around the clock, often during the week-end, and giving actual insight on rules and balance and wording. It's long, it's tiring, and it's tough. As for your other questions, if you choose to try the testing path AND they accept your application, then they will let you know what to do and how

Now that you mention it, I think maybe I did fill out an application, but I forgot all about it.

So I finally got a response, and the person said that he was serious about Elves coming, but that he couldn't share. So either he is telling the truth or this is an elaborate troll. Probably the second one.

Also, I sent an email to the guy on BGG you referred to earlier about him saying "a very reliable source tells me Elves are coming". He said the same thing as the first person. So it is a troll pack, as opposed to just one! :lol:

Sorry about me prying into your playtesting. I was just hoping that maybe there was some loophole. After all, I am perfectly allowed to say what I am playtesting for Ashes, but, of course, it is an LCG, so everyone knows when the next pack comes out anyway. Illusion and Charm mono-decks baby! Illusion may or may not actually receive some good cards. :o

I noticed there are many differences on how different companies handle their policy on playtests. Some companies allow testers to share details even of prototypes, some companies didn't even thank their testers in the rulebooks. So, no biggie in asking; and it's mature that you accepted the answer Budgernaut gave you.

Whether these guys are trolls or not, time will tell. Thanks for trying to reach out the souce of info

Yeah, I don't even get a mention in the rules. But I get $50 credit in the store if I work extra hard, which is about enough to buy the things I playtested. Oh well.

Edited by Toenail

Until an official statement, the occasional slip of the tongue is the only information you will get. Nobody will vouch for his or her statement if it means a break of contract. That the elves are next may very well be true.

Whether these guys are trolls or not, time will tell. Thanks for trying to reach out the souce of info

I sent an email asking for some visual confirmation. He responded with the following.

just a conversation. That's all. Could of changed by now. Who knows?

Yeah, I won't bet my house on this statement. Still, time will tell :)

Julia is right....

but now it's Spring time.... TIME FOR ELVES!!!! :P

I just want something. A reinforcement pack. A four player board. A Runebound expansion (what, a guy can dream you know). I don't care what. Just want something to show that they are still there for us Runboundites (cool word I made up).

And 1 hour later, a Runebound expansion! They listen to me!

I think it is possible that they are killing Battlelore. Maybe the army packs didn't sell well enough.

Well, despite the fact that there are rumors about the elves (which I really enjoy) I guess FFG will wait for the launch of the Undead- and Neutral-expansions in Europe the next month.

So if BL isn't killed - I guess there will be an announcment before end of august.

Note that Undead- and Neutral-expansions are available in France (and in Spain also as they are in both French and Spanish) since april 2016...