Dark Heresy Podcast & [FFG]Ross Watson Interview

By Wu Ming, in Dark Heresy

But space marines can be complex. Read some of the Ultra Marine novels. They have to deal with social interaction with non-marines to coordinate events, especially protecting their area of space they govern. Then you have the ever threatening web of chaos, as all Space Marines know the only thing that separates them from being a CSM is their faith in the emperor.

So I think doubt and fear are parts of being a SM, not the fear of that ork or nid over there, but the fear of failure, fear of corruption that drives them to do thier best beyond just their natural aptitude.

Besides in Role Playing Games you play the exception to the norm. The character that is different from his normal stock and brood. So PC Space Marines would be more open minded, perhaps on the edge of rebellion or being excommunicated. You would not be playing your standard battle brother, but someone who has more destiny and fate about him. A hero among heroes, or at least a featured character in a story instead of just another power armoured garbed space thug.

mainly I just wanted to weigh in and say the interview was awesome.

What I'm about to say may come off as elitist or arrogant, but to me that's not roleplaying. I have to feel emotionally attached to my character in order to roleplay him/her well. A spacemarine is a combat monster capable of killing almost anything, but not much more. I think they function very well for what GW intends them to do, and some of the novels actually show a differnet side to them, but I still can't help but feel that they're not very suitable as roleplaying characters.

Btw, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread. Lets get back to talking about the podcast, and if people want to discuss this further we can make another thread about spacemarines.

Wu Ming said:

Anyway back to the originally topic. For those like Charax that cannot deign to actually listen to an interview, and for those like me who can misunderstand things, I've transcribed some of the 'releveent' parts of the pod cast here you go ... I was suprised at how many times Veronica said 'Cool'.

We did say cool a heckuva lot. It's funny how one gets attached to words (believe it or not, I edited some "cool"s out). At one point, some regular listeners were calling me "Captain Awesome." If you don't watch Chuck , you won't likely get the joke. I'll just say it's funny.

It was great having Ross on the show. He's very cool/awesome!

[ edited in agreement with the comments above about ending the thread hijacking. Thanks for the podcast Ross! You can guess the original general sentiment by the fragment that remains: ]

But, I have been told lacking testosterone, the appeal of space marines is probably lost on me... :-)

Ron Blessing said:

Wu Ming said:

Anyway back to the originally topic. For those like Charax that cannot deign to actually listen to an interview, and for those like me who can misunderstand things, I've transcribed some of the 'releveent' parts of the pod cast here you go ... I was suprised at how many times Veronica said 'Cool'.

We did say cool a heckuva lot. It's funny how one gets attached to words (believe it or not, I edited some "cool"s out). At one point, some regular listeners were calling me "Captain Awesome." If you don't watch Chuck , you won't likely get the joke. I'll just say it's funny.

I really liked the Pod Cost btw, and just to be clear I didn't mean anything by the comment. I really didn't notice it until I was actually transcribing, its pretty natural while just listening. And people do tend to have their vocal foibles and picadillos, for a while with the group I game with I thought I would scream if someone used the word 'effacacious' once more. It became like a vocabulary virus traveling from one gamer to another...

Again, though thanks Ross, Ron and Veronica, that pod cast was most righteous!

Oh and on the oof topic topic of derailment and threadjacking maybe contiue the Marine discussion here .

Ah, so it was an angst-engendered post!

Erm, nothing to say about the podcast since I still haven't heard it. Maybe later on tonight.

Kage

Wu Ming said:

Ron Blessing said:

Wu Ming said:

I really liked the Pod Cost btw, and just to be clear I didn't mean anything by the comment. I really didn't notice it until I was actually transcribing, its pretty natural while just listening. And people do tend to have their vocal foibles and picadillos, for a while with the group I game with I thought I would scream if someone used the word 'effacacious' once more. It became like a vocabulary virus traveling from one gamer to another...

Again, though thanks Ross, Ron and Veronica, that pod cast was most righteous!

:)