Am I the only one who...

By El_Ganso, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

instead a reboot, i would like to saw a great time jump, like 200+ years just to dust some weird things in the current timeline, and a series of books, storys or even a rpg book, tellling how was that period!

Also something that change the map complete to bring new borders and ancestral places to our beloved Rokugan!!

Edited by Yoritomo Garou

instead a reboot, i would like to saw a great time jump, like 200+ years just to dust some weird things in the current timeline, and a series of books, storys or even a rpg book, tellling how was that period!

Also something that change the map complete to bring new borders and ancestral places to our beloved Rokugan!!

Please don't change the map! WE JUST GOT ONE!

... Lastly, I came across this map with a listing of the various Clans/powers.

arkcam-map-r2.jpg

Ok, not a map, but I thought I would add this for those of us who are visual learners. (such as myself) :D

culture_clip_image002_0001.jpg

No, actually, I'm referring to the big poster map that is included with the L5R Atlas.

No, actually, I'm referring to the big poster map that is included with the L5R Atlas.

I see.

Apologies, but I haven't played this CCG for nearly 15 years, and I honestly don't remember much of it; such as the inclusion of elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc. (as they are listed in post #207)

I believe this is what sndwurks is stating as being the map included in the L5R Atlas:

(if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me)

rokugan_gross.jpg

That's the 1st Edition L5R RPG map that came packaged with the GM screen. I actually still have that one.

So, there was a poster map handed out at GenCon 2015 for the L5R RPG Spectacular (sponsored event with storyline interaction), which will be coming in the L5R Atlas of Rokugan. The Atlas is due to be released on September 21. No one has posted the poster map online yet, but as someone who has it in hand? It is a beauty.

And seriously, pick up the Atlas. It is completely system independent, and is just one giant fluff book filled with maps and city information.

I joined in Emperor Edition. I don't have the same nostalgia for the setting as a lot of people in this forum. However, I do have history with the game and a love of what I do know. You know what's cool to me? Knowing that MY Hida Kisada is a product of his grandfather. He is the Little Bear and he has that title (however much he might not like it) because of who came before him. I neither want nor need a a Tolkien-esque poem explaining why he is the Little Bear. Sprinkle the fluff a bit at a time and and move on. If I'm interested I'll find out myself, there are wikis and fan-pages for a reason. For me finding out that his zombie grandfather came back and taught him how to lead and fight is AWESOME. Please treat the existing fiction as history. Set a canon one way or another and just touch on the important parts as they come along. So, no. I don't want a reboot.

What I'd want is a direct continuation of the story as was presented to us for Onyx. Otherwise, as was already mentioned, even a minor jump that sets the stage of 'this dark and troubled empire under an evil lord' or 'having just defeated the dark emperor'. Proceed with samurai drama and shenanigans.

In my mind the best way to approach the subject matter is the same sort of treatment Doctor Who got in 2005. I didn't know what it was, I just knew it had history and was sci-fi. Lets give it a shot. The hell is a Dalek and why does it have a plunger? I was introduced to all the good and bad elements of nostalgia over time, Seemingly stupid and goofy things were given context and you just rolled with it. It was about a guy in a blue box travelling time and space. L5R under FFG should be about samurai drama and telling good stories via cards and fiction. Every now and again someone can mention a Ratling.

I see.

Apologies, but I haven't played this CCG for nearly 15 years, and I honestly don't remember much of it; such as the inclusion of elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc. (as they are listed in post #207)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah... this is somebody's homebrew. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it came with Gollum/Fu Leng slash fic.

I see.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah... this is somebody's homebrew. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it came with Gollum/Fu Leng slash fic.

Unfortunately, it is not just a homebrew. Dwarves, Elves, etc. . . were added (as a suggestion) with the brief sprint through d20 land back in the manic OGL days of the second generation of Oriental Adventures--which, in my personal opinion--did nothing to benefit either L5R or the original dnd Oriental Adventures.

Ah, the days of D&D Oriental Adventures Rokugan.

Where the Crab were Dwarves, the Crane were Elves, the Phoenix were Gnomes, and everything was weird...

Let's not go back there.

Where the Crab were Dwarves, the Crane were Elves, the Phoenix were Gnomes, and everything was weird...

Let's not go back there.

This immediately came to mind after reading your your post:

I believe this is what sndwurks is stating as being the map included in the L5R Atlas:

(if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me)

rokugan_gross.jpg

Oh come on! That's just some Chinese amusment park's map! ;)

Just kidding. map looks nice.

Let's not go back there.

I can't even. I don't know what to say. I'm so glad I blocked any memory of that. I had the OA book, but I don't remember any of that nonsense.

Sauron + The One ring = Dark Enlightnment* win? :D

* Yes dark enlightenment sounds silly. I know ;)

Edited by Robin Graves

Let's not go back there.

I can't even. I don't know what to say. I'm so glad I blocked any memory of that. I had the OA book, but I don't remember any of that nonsense.

Without the actual text of the books, I feel like this is probably something that's gotten exaggerated through the haze of memory.

Like, maybe design decided to give stat bonuses to clans a la 3.0 race bonuses, and someone realized that the crab bonuses were similar to dwarf bonuses.

Then *that* became, "OMG CRAB ARE DWARVES WTFBBQ!"

But I'm only speculating. I don't really remember.

Let's not go back there.

Without the actual text of the books, I feel like this is probably something that's gotten exaggerated through the haze of memory.

Like, maybe design decided to give stat bonuses to clans a la 3.0 race bonuses, and someone realized that the crab bonuses were similar to dwarf bonuses.

Then *that* became, "OMG CRAB ARE DWARVES WTFBBQ!"

But I'm only speculating. I don't really remember.

I'm going to have to look it up or try to find the book when I get done with my open house.

Going off memory Oriental Adventures had "Rokugan" (sort of) and "non-Rokugan" parts in the book. If the section had the five rings at the header then that told you it was a "Rokugan" section, if not then it wasn't.

There was a page or two in it that suggested a way to play standard D&D races in Rokugan, where you had Crab Dwarves, Crane Elves, etc. So it was just a side note of a possible home-brewed Rokugan, not the base setting presented in Oriental Adventures. At least that's how I remember it, I sold my copy several years ago.

It's still a terrible book though and a dark period for L5R.

They should just Dallas it back to the WoTC->AEG hand-off.

Kaede rolls over in bed, blinks, and shudders. "Toturi dear, I've had... the strangest dream. Maybe Kaneka should come visit you here instead?"

And then make the entire storyline be about awesome Toturi Dad Bonding Stories. Throwing the football around, slaughtering bandits with his kids, beating up Paneki for wearing Tsudao's underoos on his face, teaching Naseru how to aim a bow with one-eye closed. Toku could play the part of the dumb lovable uncle.

Edited by IsawaChuckles

D20 L5R is how I was introduced to Rokugan. Please do not mmake fun of my fond recollection. I would not do the same of yours.