Psykers too strong?

By Commediante, in Only War Game Masters

Well, is that argument against psykers being too strong or pro?

@ Elmer 84

Well, I've never really heared any promise that the heroes if Imperium will be rewarded in any way after death. But I've read many quotes from commanders, priests and commissars saying that death for the Emperor is a reward by itself.

As to your calculations.

With unfattered power your chance to summon something bad is lesser than 10%, because most phenomenons are just narrative events. There's only 12% chance that he'll receive ANY damage, though still small damage. There are even positive once, for example the one that gives Fear1 to the psyker. Also many of them affect not only the psyker, but also his enemies, so I'm not counting them in.

So We've got 10% chance to make a phenomenon, 12% to make it damage and 25% to make it peril. That's 10%*(12%+25%)=3,7% chance. But let's have a look at those Perils of The Warp.From what I see only 60% effects have a potential to damage the psyker.

That will decrease our risk factor to 3,7%*60%=2,2%.

That means that during the fight there is 2,2% risk of psyker being damaged (slightly or worse). That means that you'd have to use psychic power on average 45 times to receive ANY damage.

And yes, thank you, I know what are emotions towards psykers and mutants in the Imperium. Problem is the rules don't reflect that. And that you don'r read my post carefully enough, because I've already wrote that.

Edited by Commediante

I admit I didn't notice which of previous posts were yours in the thread, but you also point out that there is no rule about it, well, the flavor text is the rule (since it's in the book) and the lore is the rule and you should play by it, unless you don't use an official lore of the universe. Than you might as well play a scenerio where Slanesh Noise Marines give a charity concert raising money for Eldar orphans, since there is no mechanical rule saying not to do it or saying that chaos is evil and not just misunderstood :)

Lore IS a part of mechanic in every game.

Also 2,2% chance to hurt yourself while using power is quite high, but that is just my very personal opinion.

Chance of hurting yourself by using plasma gun is 10%, so it's 5 times greater than by psychic power. And it's quite deadly: 1d10+7 in normal mode and 2d10+7 in maximal mode.

So it's in RAW that the most screwed people in the galaxy are not psykers, it's plasma gunners.

As to lore, Chaos Space Marines are bad guys by definition, so it's quite obvious how would they behave. Whether MG would kill someone's character just because he had unfortunate perils of the warp rolls - that's totally another thing.

Except that you can get a better quality plasma gun to reduce or eliminate the chance of overheating. Or, of course, just drop the plasma gun, and avoid the damage altogether. Sure, you've gotta pick it up again, but it needed to spend a round cooling down, anyway.

As to lore, Chaos Space Marines are bad guys by definition, so it's quite obvious how would they behave. Whether MG would kill someone's character just because he had unfortunate perils of the warp rolls - that's totally another thing.

So you use lore only when it fits you. Ok I have no problem with that you can play your game however you want and I can't tell you to do it otherwise. My point only sticks if someone is using the whole official lore of the universe, and in that lore, commisar executing a psyker over an unfortunate perils of the warp roll or even minor psychic phenomena is very commmon and in the spirit of the universe, especially if it's not the first time it happened. Psykers have been executed for much less, and let's not forget it's OW and not DnD, it's not heroic, it's dark and gritty, PCs and NPCs dying on a daily basis over one unlucky roll of the dice is quite normal, if psyker can't fast talk his way out of uncontrolable warp manifestation it's a bullet to the head, even if it wasn't his fault and some chaos psyker is responsible but nobody saw him, guardsman loosing his weapon and not getting replacement before he is caught by the commisar, it's a bullet to the head, or if the commisar is very laid back than only lashes untill the guardsman drops unconcious.

If you want to play a setting where psyker can breath more easly try Death Watch or Rouge Trader, they might be a bit more forgiving, and there are no commisars.

As for plasma gun javcs one post higher covered that, and yes psykers can have help from his comrade but they get damaged and it's not 100% sure that nothing bad happens after the reroll and "Warp Lock" can be only used once per session (and also damages psyker) whereas plasma can be dropped every time (unless it's integrated).

Edited by Elmer84