petition to hure Chris Medico as Lead Design.

By BittersweetCocoa, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I don't know much about FFG, but AEG not having hardly any paid full time employees and L5R being designed and playtested by 90% volunteers... I think FFG may be in a better position to make a better game.

FFG isn't making L5R CCG 2.0 so they don't need any AEG L5R CCG staff. Bringing over RPG people may be a different case depending on whether it's a product continuation or restructuring.

I don't know much about FFG, but AEG not having hardly any paid full time employees and L5R being designed and playtested by 90% volunteers... I think FFG may be in a better position to make a better game.

A better game, probably. Will it be L5R? I guess we'll have to see.

I don't know Chris Medico, so I'm not for or against. However; 1) A good player does not necesarily a good designer make 2) IMO, part of the problem with L5R design was an "old boys club" approach; everybody had been in the "inner circle" (be it as a designer, playtester or top player) for years. I'd welcome somebody completely new to L5R, reexaming without preconceptions all mechanics from scratch with an open mind and being able to weight in and decide what to keep and what needs to be done with.

I agree with you. Do not make the mistake a second time. I also don´t know Chris Medico but as AEG has proven putting players into position like Lead design is not leading to sucess it acutally destroyes the game. The reason is that no person is free of preferences and is influenced by them. If you put players into these position their favorite clan will be stronger than the rest. Also they will neglect the factions they don´t like and therefore the game never will be that good as it could be when a person who actually is onyl dedicated to make good games is doing the job.,

Therefore what I think is important that we get an professionla who knows how to create good card based game and not another explayer who gets the chance to become the next Brain Reese.

I debated making this point, but I didn't want to be a jerk, start this topic and discussion, then point out how bad this was for L5R, so thank you for stepping up and summing it all up in one post. Things like this are why I hope we just get brand new faceless FFG people doing the next L5R.

Edited by Granville

Nothing against Chris, but I'd prefer new blood to anyone with experience. One of the biggest personal problems that I had with the game was the constant depletion of 5-6 clans while everyone flocked to the same 2-3 competitive decks every arc.