petition to hure Chris Medico as Lead Design.

By BittersweetCocoa, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I'm horrible with words, but I'm sure this speaks for itself.

How many tournaments has that guy won?

I second this 1 million %. He was by far one of the best things to happen to the game since its inception!

MEDICO2017

I've played L5R since 1995 and have seen many people come and go - Chris is easily one of the most intelligent and talented players around, and his work on Design is nothing short of breathtaking. If there's any chance at all he can be taken on by FFG, it would go a long way to convincing me to play, that's for sure.

Mark

There is no man more deserving of the opportunity to make L5R the great game it should be. Medico is the best choice to guide L5RR I the future!

FFG, please take note and hire Chris Medico as lead designer. I promise you'll get the best game you possibly can.

MEDICO 2017

I have not played L5R in about 5 years. Who is Chris Medico?

Is there a way to edit the topic title?

I don't know Chris Medico, so I'm not for or against. However; 1) A good player does not necesarily a good designer make 2) IMO, part of the problem with L5R design was an "old boys club" approach; everybody had been in the "inner circle" (be it as a designer, playtester or top player) for years. I'd welcome somebody completely new to L5R, reexaming without preconceptions all mechanics from scratch with an open mind and being able to weight in and decide what to keep and what needs to be done with.

Will FFG keep the L5R tradition of letting a tournament winner influence the plot for the upcomming expansions?

Don't F-up the Spider Clan... That's all I ask.

Oh and maybe bring back some minor clans...

I don't know Chris Medico, so I'm not for or against. However; 1) A good player does not necesarily a good designer make 2) IMO, part of the problem with L5R design was an "old boys club" approach; everybody had been in the "inner circle" (be it as a designer, playtester or top player) for years. I'd welcome somebody completely new to L5R, reexaming without preconceptions all mechanics from scratch with an open mind and being able to weight in and decide what to keep and what needs to be done with.

Agreed. I'm excited for a new approach in a variety of areas.

Chris was largely responsible for overhauling the draft format and making into a fantastic, balanced, challenging format. His work on draft led to him being promoted to the Design Team, and he has been instrumental in instigating positive changes that have improved both the game mechanically and, according to the people he has worked with, the design process itself.

He's intelligent, passionate, and articulate. Any company would benefit from having him there.

Mark

Tradtionally, FFG's prize support for regionals and store championships is limited to alternate art cards and other game paraphernalia (acrylic tokens, alternate hose cards,etc...) National winners win a reserved spot at Worlds, and the winner of Worlds traditionally gets to design a card. EX:

med_gallery_6_26763.jpg

Being good at a game doesn't necessarily make you good a making that game.

Holy crap this. The reason the game went down the crapper in the first place was because it was the same old people were designing everything and low and behold the population steadily (and come the launch of Ivory rapidly) declined. The game needs fresh blood, plain and simple.

I'd really prefer if the game didn't use any legacy staff. It deserves a clean slate at a real company.

I agree with the notion good players do not make good designers.

I'd rather some new blood. FFG already has a lot of talented folks some of whom I know to be Legend of the Five Rings fans/players.

I agree with you. Do not make the mistake a second time. I also don´t know Chris Medico but as AEG has proven putting players into position like Lead design is not leading to sucess it acutally destroyes the game. The reason is that no person is free of preferences and is influenced by them. If you put players into these position their favorite clan will be stronger than the rest. Also they will neglect the factions they don´t like and therefore the game never will be that good as it could be when a person who actually is onyl dedicated to make good games is doing the job.,

Therefore what I think is important that we get an professionla who knows how to create good card based game and not another explayer who gets the chance to become the next Brain Reese.

Chris is awesome.

Rather than going at "person X is awesome" or "players don't make good designers", I'd like to point out something else altogether - a CCG is something completely different from a LCG. Someone who's good at designing one isn't necessarily good at designing the other. And with FFG declaring the two won't be compatible, past L5R designers will not be able to capitalize on their experience for this new game.

Edited by Bayushi Karyudo

While you are certainly right that a good CCG designer has not to be a good LCG designer I think I have more faith in a person who actually has exp in the field of designing and selling CCGs and or LCGs than I have faith in a guy who just played the game very sucessfully. The reason is that if you can exploit the rules (which is waht makes people sucessfull in the game) it does not say that you can design good cards.

I hope that we just get a better design team than the last and actually one that cares for their playtesters and has a steady comunication line open for the rules team. Most design mistakes were made because there was a lack of comunication between the rules and design departments. If this changes I think we will see mechanicly better cards which is all I desire.

I agree. If he has no experience ( or inclination) to design a game,thrusting him is not a smart move.

While you are certainly right that a good CCG designer has not to be a good LCG designer I think I have more faith in a person who actually has exp in the field of designing and selling CCGs and or LCGs than I have faith in a guy who just played the game very sucessfully. The reason is that if you can exploit the rules (which is waht makes people sucessfull in the game) it does not say that you can design good cards.

I hope that we just get a better design team than the last and actually one that cares for their playtesters and has a steady comunication line open for the rules team. Most design mistakes were made because there was a lack of comunication between the rules and design departments. If this changes I think we will see mechanicly better cards which is all I desire.

100% agreed

I'd really prefer if the game didn't use any legacy staff. It deserves a clean slate at a real company.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While his focus was the RPG side, few people understood what made the setting work better then Rob Hobart. He would certainly be excellent for the fluff and RPG portion of the game and as someone who owns a comic book shop himself he has a decent idea of what makes sense financially for the L5R brand.

I agree. If he has no experience ( or inclination) to design a game,thrusting him is not a smart move.

He is (technically now was, but past tense is hard when you just come back from reminiscing L5R and prognosticating L5R 2.0 with him) part of the L5R design team.

Edited by Kakita Shiro