What about the RPG license?

By Ockbald, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I'm no TCG player.

I brought and played pretty much all RPG releases and it is true that the quantity of supplements where in the down low before the purchase.

But who holds the RPG license? FFG?

If so, are there any plans for new supplements? A new edition? Or is it over?

Hey, Ockie! I see you are also holding out for L5R Avatars.

But seriously, what is happening with the RPG? Does anyone know? Will there be a Winter Court 5?

They acquired the IP and there was a twitter message saying they were excited to continue the rpg.

Not necessarily in exactly the same way but at least we know they are thinking of it.

Also I too am waiting for l5r avatars =P

I'm almost certain that any official Winter Court will not come until a new RPG edition is printed.

They mention it briefly in the announcement.

"In addition to the new incarnation of the Legend of the Five Rings CCG as a LCG, we are excited to explore new possiblities for Legend of the Five Rings in the roleplaying space. At the current time, we don't have many details about this, but we will reveal more as the details become clear."

It's probably going to be quite a while before anything is announced for an RPG.

I just hope they don't go with the dice mechanic they used for Warhammer and are using for StarWars.

I'd love it if they used the Star Wars dice system. As a 1st Edition L5R player, that might just bring me back to Rokugan.

While I've never gotten the chance to play in the L5R universe, it is a setting that has always kept my greatly-divided attention and news of new editions (both in the CCG and RPG arenas) is always watched. This news is no different. Hopefully by the time FFG rolls out the next RPG edition, I'll be in a position to give it a try rather than watch from the sidelines.

Changing L5R's core mechanics too much didn't help Wizards much when they tried to make it d20.

(The Secrets books in fact had dual system mechanics because R&K is very popular).

I hope they keep R&K. 4th Edition in fact is mostly solid.

Taking baby steps with changes would be good plan for RPG. Have Edition X make small changes, not big changes. Edition Y makes a few more small changes. These changes help incentivise some to pick up product and get into it. These changes also would help not make 5th Edition L5R a deal-breaker, yes-yes.

If its not Roll and Keep, its not L5R.

I am firmly in the "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" camp on L5R RPG's mechanics. The Roll & Keep system has been with L5R RPG since its inception. Clean it up, rewrite the schools, sure. But why switch to the Star Wars engine, when the current engine captures the game perfectly?

I am firmly in the "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" camp on L5R RPG's mechanics. The Roll & Keep system has been with L5R RPG since its inception. Clean it up, rewrite the schools, sure. But why switch to the Star Wars engine, when the current engine captures the game perfectly?

I agree I like the L5R system i have been playing it for some time and it is a nice breath of fresh air from all the d20 systems. Go for tweaking but not a complete overhaul.

I agree that AEG's R&K mechanics are best for L5R.

I doubt they were part of the L5R IP though.

If they were, great! FFG should totally use them.

If they weren't, AEG should just give them to FFG. Without L5R anymore, they're 100% out of the RPG game as is, so there's no reason to hang onto them.

I'm on board with this. Keep the R&K. Keep the basic idea. Move forward in awesomeness.

Hopefully they bought the R&K system along with the IP. If they did it, it would be awesome.

R&K d10 system actually is very solid and friendly to new players so if FFG makes a 5th Edition I hope they keep the dice system.

I'm ambivalent about RnK. The extremes to which it could swing was sort of unpleasant. If there are caps on how many times a roll could explode, it might alright.

People complain a lot of about how certain systems are better for X or Y, but I find the most important thing in a role playing game are the people you play with.

The swing is part of the game mechanic, honestly. Part of what makes L5R the amazing RPG it is?

No one is ever more than two exploding damage dice from death, unless Great Destiny or Dark Fate says otherwise. And every katana? Keeps two dice of damage.

The swing is part of the game mechanic, honestly. Part of what makes L5R the amazing RPG it is?

No one is ever more than two exploding damage dice from death, unless Great Destiny or Dark Fate says otherwise. And every katana? Keeps two dice of damage.

Wasn't there a comment about three-foot razor blades?

It is a thing to keep, I think. There is something...extravagant in the risk of character death.

I think the L5R RPG should stay with the roll & keep system, and even though I think 4th edition is rather solid, I wonder if it should be streamlined even further, like using directly the rings and not the traits.

I certainly hope to hear more about the rpg side of this new L5R equation soon.

I have no opinion yea or nay on the roll-and-keep mechanics, however; give me a solid system that and a well-presented setting, and I will be happy.

there is a lot of post about "keep R&K system" and I'm one of them. it's really a system that's a part of the L5R identity. Even if the system is solid, i can imagine plenty of mechanics that can be innovating like advantages and threat in the star wars system and without changing the R&K-d10 system.

So, keep the R&K is my biggest hope. the second one is something only FFG can do, make good scenario and campaign. AEG was pretty good, but it was before and they long lost the flame of story.

Well, let me drop at least one stone on the other side of the scale, and note that I do not have a problem if they switch from R&K to something else (assuming the something else is quality, of course). Or if they keep the central mechanic but change up a variety of other aspects. There's a comfort in the familiar, of course, but there has to be a reason beyond "because it's always been that way."

I would love to see L5R RPG move more towards an "a la carte" method of progression, where characters can learn Techniques (because that is generally cool), but not necessarily in a linear fashion. Let characters be more diverse in how they develop.

I also liked how, in 1st Edition, spells did not have Mastery ranks. They had TNs. Any shugenja could cast any Spell, so long as they were able to have the scroll, and make the TN.

Keep the Rings, Traits and Skills. Keep the Roll & Keep system itself. But rethink advancement and how it works. Especially how the Rank system works. It's a little too 1990's for my tastes.

for the "a la carte", there is plenty of alternative techniques or alternative path. there is a "main path" that represent the most used techniques in the description of the school in the core rules, but you can find the alternatives in all the sourcebooks and éléments series. It's one of the probelm with AEG, they dilute it in far too much books.

but there has to be a reason beyond "because it's always been that way."

I just gave one. the R&K is a part of the identity of L5R. plus, you can keep the system, bring some fresh rules, change some part, and that without changing all the thing or the dice system.

if there has to be a reason to "keep the system", there also has to be a reason to "change all the system". and I see no reason to put the R&K-d10 away