What sort of aliens...

By Robin Graves, in Alien Invasion

What sort of aliens will you have invade earth?

Greys?

Lizardmen?

Mi-go?

Catwomen of the moon?

Share your cool ideas* here!

alien_attack.jpg

* Even if you (like me) end up ripping off 50's B movies for ideas. ;)

Perhaps you could have a Dalek invasion, although I guess trademarking could stop that :wacko:

Seriously though you could probably have some quite weak alien creatures whose superior intellect and technology allows them to meld with advanced machines to become far more effective, such as Daleks, Cybermen or the aliens from Independence Day.

I think greys (or little green men) would have to be there since they have become such a staple of alien invasion culture. Their motivations could be anything though from wanting to take over the Earth due to running out of resources or destroying their own planet to coming to Earth to teach humans a lesson about not being so violent and/or polluting and destroying their own planet (ala The Day the Earth Stood Still).

Parasites that get into humans and control their brains have become such a feature too I would be surprised if that's not there, such a aliens from franchises Stargate, Dark Skies and a number of movies I can't remember the names of.

A great devouring plague of mostly mindless monsters that float through space only to wake when they find a suitable planet to attack and strip of all life is another possibility.

And of course the hive mind such as with creatures like Tyranids, Zerg or the Borg are another option, though it could be used with almost any of the options given above plus numerous others.

I'm actually looking forward to this one the most as it captures my imagination much more than the three other titles in this series.

​EDIT: I should have read the write up before I posted this, now I know exactly what we'll be expecting. I was thinking of the aliens under the sea cliché as well :D

Now I'm torn between either having an all encompassing plot of alien conspiracy and fighting it off as well as having to deal with alien cultures and technology or merely having the fun of having alien ants run amok everywhere. Perhaps I will have to join the giant ants to a Gaea's revenge scenario for extra chompy fun.

Edited by Amroth

Martians vs Deep ones! Film at eleven!

It would be cool if we got some unknown allies suddenly pop up during the invasion to help us.

You could also go full blown Mars Attacks (the trading cards, not the movie) and have the aliens unleash giant insects on the poor hapless humans. The pod people might be the easiest to run, altough i find them a bit boring. paranoia is all well and good but i wanna see landmarks destroyed by lasers.

I think this book will be the most popular of the four (followed closely by zombies)

Edited by Robin Graves

devil-girl-mars.jpg

Note to my GM: If the extraterestials look like this, I would join their side at the drop of a hat! :D

Edited by Robin Graves

Classic B.E.M.s ('Bug Eyed Monsters')-

500px-SaucerMen.jpeg

Edited by Adeptus-B

I'm wanting to run an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type scenario. Since I'm the GM, the game will start at the gaming table as usual, except I've already been snatched and replaced. (Evil grin)

RPG session with pod people...Great idea!

Gm: "You. encounter. 3 ancient. red dragons."

John: "Dude! WTF? We've just started a new campaign with level one characters!"

Gm: "So?"

Mike: "You can't throw that type of stuff at us yet! Especially since we literally just walked out of the tavern!"

Bruce: "I could have handled adult dragons, but ancients..."

John: "Shut up Bruce! This encounter is BS! Whats going on man?"

Gm: "I'm. sorry. Wrong. adventure. module. I'll. go. get. the. correct. notes. in. my. room. Would. you. help. me. john?"

John: "Sure, lets get this show on the road!"

later:

Mike: "Took you guys long enough."

Gm: " Lot. of. mess. in. my. room."

John: "Yes."

Gm: "You. must. be. hungry. now. I'll. order. pizza. Mike? Will. you. get. a. case. of. lemonade. from. the. basement?"

Mike: "Okay man. I want a peperoni with exta peppers, ok?"

later:

Bruce: "Aah, that was good pizza!"

Gm: "Yes."

John: "Yes."

Mike: "Yes."

Bruce: "You Guy's sure act strange tonight, what's up?"

Gm: "We. are. aliens. we. are. the. invasion."

John: "Join us."

Mike: "Join us."

Bruce: "Wha? no way man!"

Gm: "You. get. 3 extra levels. and. a. +4 Vorpal. sword."

Bruce: "Deal!"

I think an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" scenario would be a cool one to work in a traitor mechanic.

The TNT series "Falling Skies" (which just wrapped its four-season run last night) is exactly this...

...as is the third 'generation' of the "Robotech" anime (the Mospeada portion).

Of course, my guess is that the scenarios included in the book will be more along the lines "Mars Attacks"-style aliens, the abduction-obsessed 'grays' (or "X-Files"/"Fire in the Sky"-type aliens), and the infamous 'pod people' from movies such as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." In other words, I think you guys are right on the money!

Oh, and let's not forget the "War of the Worlds"-type aliens! I'd bet money they'll be included as well.

Oh, and let's not forget the "War of the Worlds"-type aliens! I'd bet money they'll be included as well.

They have one of those tripod things on the cover so odds are very good!

It'll be interesting to see how vulnerable they will be. In the H.G.Wells the alien tripods could be taken down with canons and artillery but those were usually wiped out by the heat ray and black smoke before they could fire. While in the movies they are totally invulnerable to assault. Even shrugging off a nuclear blast in the 1953 movie.

Also in this age we have biological weapons. what if a gun-ho general remembers his H.G. Wells and lets loose with a bunch of ICBMs full of cholera and stuff? Good times for the players. :)

Xcom_1.png

I was wondering how average people pc's would end up on an elite team of alien busters, but then i remembered rookies, and how you could turn them into suicide bombers. :D

GM: "Ok, Mike, the quartermaster gives you this heavy backpack and a small box that looks like a remote control."

Mike: "Cool what is it?"

GM: "The quartermaster sais: "You don't need to worry about how it works. When you spot a muton, run up to it and then , and only then, press that red button."

Mike: "Is it some kind of power field, or a marker for an orbiltal laser? or both?"

GM: " He sais: "Sure kid. Now put on that pack and join your squad!"

Mike: "This mission is gonna be awesome!"

GM: *sniggers*

Just a few of the possibilities that I could see in this book (some of which have been mentioned already).

1) All Out Invasion - We are talking something akin to War of the Worlds and Independence Day . The Aliens come in, hit hard, and hit fast.

2) Invasion of the Body Snatcher - Someone else mentioned this as a possibility of introducing a traitor mechanic, which would be interesting.

3) Abduction - A low key scenario that would involve the typical Greys abducting people

4) The Come In Peace, but not really - Think shows like V , or the classic Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man."

5) It keeps growing - The Blob was an alien invasion story. Imagine our heroes trying to stop something that just keeps growing.

My favourite alien invasion would definitely be The Thing.

Mine to, it's in my top five fave movies.

Perhaps you could have a Dalek invasion, although I guess trademarking could stop that :wacko:

Seriously though you could probably have some quite weak alien creatures whose superior intellect and technology allows them to meld with advanced machines to become far more effective, such as Daleks, Cybermen or the aliens from Independence Day.

I think greys (or little green men) would have to be there since they have become such a staple of alien invasion culture. Their motivations could be anything though from wanting to take over the Earth due to running out of resources or destroying their own planet to coming to Earth to teach humans a lesson about not being so violent and/or polluting and destroying their own planet (ala The Day the Earth Stood Still).

Parasites that get into humans and control their brains have become such a feature too I would be surprised if that's not there, such a aliens from franchises Stargate, Dark Skies and a number of movies I can't remember the names of.

A great devouring plague of mostly mindless monsters that float through space only to wake when they find a suitable planet to attack and strip of all life is another possibility.

And of course the hive mind such as with creatures like Tyranids, Zerg or the Borg are another option, though it could be used with almost any of the options given above plus numerous others.

I'm actually looking forward to this one the most as it captures my imagination much more than the three other titles in this series.

​EDIT: I should have read the write up before I posted this, now I know exactly what we'll be expecting. I was thinking of the aliens under the sea cliché as well :D

Now I'm torn between either having an all encompassing plot of alien conspiracy and fighting it off as well as having to deal with alien cultures and technology or merely having the fun of having alien ants run amok everywhere. Perhaps I will have to join the giant ants to a Gaea's revenge scenario for extra chompy fun.

I'm hoping for a "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers"/"The Thing" type scenario myself.

My aliens are going to be the Amarr, arriving for Earth's Day of Darkness here to enslave us all!

post-144905-0-25934500-1445121450_thumb.jpeg

For those who tried the Zombie version of EoTW, how well do you think an X-COM playstyle with that system would run in this scenario? Given you forego 'making yourself' as a character.

Its not that I dont like that idea, it'd just be cool to have an alien war scenario without the PC's being someone drafted and sent to the front line.(though that's kinda cool..)

Edited by PsyNomad

I quite like the idea of a War of the worlds type scenario (I'm talking H.G Well's book, not Tom Cruise running around a lot). Although it may well be overdone, I appreciated HG Well's original concept that when the aliens first arrive it's mass destruction. But perhaps a story of a group of survivors making their way to various "safe zones" in the hope to take part in an uprising, maybe even go with the artilleryman's idea that human's would live underground, surfacing only for raids and supplies. (Kinda falling skies scenario perhaps?) Although that character is regarded as insane, and I understand that the purpose of the book was to demonstrate the power of a single bacteria, but just think about the amazing soundtrack you would have to play as GM. (Jeff Wayne's WOTW soundtrack :D )

Then again body snatchers is pretty sweet idea. I like the modern day representation in the film The Invasion.

Rocky-Horror-Picture-show.jpg

Transexual Transylvanians, as they refer to themselves, have often been seen as benign, hosting parties as well as giving lavish gifts. However, it is also known that they degrade and abuse humans before eating them or throwing them in a freezer for later. They exhibit human appearance and a taste for sexual abuse, as well for scientific experimentation. The federal government has been watching them and has determined their presence is a danger to humanity. If they are allowed to continue their depraved behavior, these extraterrestrials would likely become figures in the criminal underworld, dealing primarily in drugs and prostitution.

Their eventual plan for conquest is a fantasy, planning on the eventual "fall" of humanity through hedonistic impulse. If everyone is busy having sex, it's becomes much easier to lock the doors and dispose of them without any resistance.

Edited by Galladrick

fire-in-the-sky-1993-movie-alien-abducti

Terrifyingly stealthy, the greys from "Fire in the Sky" seem to prefer kidnapping victims and then returning them for observation. Their entire modus operandi is possibly predicated on the ideology of the "dark" greys, who seek knowledge, versus the "light" greys, who seek peace. The dark greys are perpetually strategizing, and have a different understanding of events as they pass over time. While this seems to allow them to know the future, they are actually planning on statistical probabilities. They operate in a different atmosphere than humans, thus needing suits that appear like the a-typical grey mentioned by so many abductees.

When they start coming in mass, over hundreds of cities of the world, they will be kidnapping people left and right, and some are not returning.

4462422-1834548051-imper.jpg

It is entirely possible that the invading aliens are actually an Imperial Star Destroyer, with landing parties of Imperial Storm Troopers taking captives in cages or terminating any resistance. When Darth Vader appears before the United Nations, it is with Emperor Palpatine appearing on a large screen.

The Rebel Alliance would be interested in liberating Earth because there are more "force" aware human beings on Earth than any other planet in the galaxy. Should it fall to the Empire, and the Dark Side, there would be revival of Sith ideology, and executions for those that do not give in to their hatred and fear. The Jedi could conceivably prevent this, but it will be up to them to find those who feel the pull of the Force, and teach them before they are indoctrinated by Darth Vader.

With titanic weapons, the Empire levels much of the East Coast of North America and Europe. The internet is fractured into several different parts and Imperial soldiers begin seizing private businesses. The owners are given the opportunity to sell out at a very unfriendly rate, if they decline, they are arrested. Most are put in with the force-aware, caged up and rolled into make-shift prison camps. The U.K. manages to resist with Rebel forces creating the Royal Resistance with the American military. Turkish soldiers as well as civilians are forced into the cities of the region and treated like cattle.

Russian resistance is met with enormous land annihilating machines called Planet Eaters. Australia becomes a battle zone between the Storm Troopers and the Rebel forces that have allied with the Australian government in a deal to assist their resistance.

These prison camps pop-up all over the world, with the ones in Saudi Arabia being the largest and most inhumane. The Empire provides food and medicine to any who ask, but often these necessities come at a steep price. The Empire often demands absolute loyalty, and routine "reports" on any suspicious activity from those who are known affiliates. China's resistance was crushed early, and so now most of the Pacific Rim as well as Hawaii is considered Imperial Garrison controlled.

The Rebel Alliance seizes Vancouver by rallying on the other side of the moon, before forcing one of the Empire's Star Destroyers (there were three present at the time) to crash in western Canada. Rebel forces have converted the Star Destroyer into an advanced base that can disrupt Imperial communications as well as provide Internet to the rest of Earth's inhabitants.

Edited by Galladrick

I quite like the idea of a War of the worlds type scenario (I'm talking H.G Well's book, not Tom Cruise running around a lot). Although it may well be overdone, I appreciated HG Well's original concept that when the aliens first arrive it's mass destruction. But perhaps a story of a group of survivors making their way to various "safe zones" in the hope to take part in an uprising, maybe even go with the artilleryman's idea that human's would live underground, surfacing only for raids and supplies. (Kinda falling skies scenario perhaps?) Although that character is regarded as insane, and I understand that the purpose of the book was to demonstrate the power of a single bacteria, but just think about the amazing soundtrack you would have to play as GM. (Jeff Wayne's WOTW soundtrack :D )

Then again body snatchers is pretty sweet idea. I like the modern day representation in the film The Invasion.

I'm listening to the audiobook as I write this! :)

My favourite part is the Thunderchild taking down two warmachines before it is sunk.

Yeah Wayne's WOTW is awesome! ... Over graves in waves defiled. Slowly disapearing. Farewell Thunderchild...

I was thinking about a pandemic survival adventure that starts off with an alien invasion.

Step 1: Aliens invade.

Step 2: Earth fights back. Conventional weapons do nothing.

Step 3: Some unscrupulous general remembers his H.G. Wells and deploys a coctail of biological weapons.

Step 4: The virus wipes out the alien invaders. And lots of humans...

Step 5: Society colapses under the weight of chaos from the manmade pandemic.

Step 6: Enter the players...

Transexual Transylvanians, as they refer to themselves, have often been seen as benign, hosting parties as well as giving lavish gifts. However, it is also known that they degrade and abuse humans before eating them or throwing them in a freezer for later. They exhibit human appearance and a taste for sexual abuse, as well for scientific experimentation. The federal government has been watching them and has determined their presence is a danger to humanity. If they are allowed to continue their depraved behavior, these extraterrestrials would likely become figures in the criminal underworld, dealing primarily in drugs and prostitution.

Their eventual plan for conquest is a fantasy, planning on the eventual "fall" of humanity through hedonistic impulse. If everyone is busy having sex, it's becomes much easier to lock the doors and dispose of them without any resistance.

Not sure there would be enough conflict in that scenario ;)

I think I speak for the rest of my group when I say we would surender to them on first contact. I for one welcome our alien overlords indeed. :D