Dealing with Mutation and Insanity Points (2nd Edition game)

By SartekBlackenheart, in WFRP House Rules

I know that this is mostly for 3rd edition games, however. Due to the lack of actually enjoying 3rd edition, and my players enjoying 2nd. I have kept with it. Now, recently, one of my PC's has gained a rather unique and unnoticeable mutation. In order to sustain himself, he has to eat hair and tears. Something along the lines of things you could procure from an alchemist's shop, but it's something he has kept from the party for sometime now. He has asked me about removing the mutation now. I have come up with several ideas, though most are EXTREMELY difficult. As he was mutated by a caster of Slaanesh, I figure that in order to banish the mutation, he would have to be apart of something that would deface part of Slaanesh's power in the Old World.

Ideas:

1.) There is an altar of Slaanesh at the bottom of the ruins of Karak Azgal. While this would normally never come about, but I thought of it knowing that factoid. With the ruins being infested by Goblins, Orcs, Dwarfs from the surface, Undead, Skaven as well as Chaos Spawns and the Abomination of Slaanesh, this would be closer to an end-game epic dungeon crawl... Though I'm not terribly certain on how to go about this one.

2.) Monoliths to Slaanesh aren't exactly the easiest thing to find the Northern Wastes. With that said, they are always made of exquisite materials and the greatest of them are carved from giant purple gem-stones, with daemon faces. They are supposed to be the "rarest of the rare" in the Wastes. Now, would a normal Monolith to Slaanesh suffice or would I make it increasingly difficult and have them find that needle in a haystack?

3.) Have them kill a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh. Though it is probably easier than finding the other two, it surely means the entire party's death.

OR my last idea:

4.) Offering them "blessings" of the Ruinious Powers and turn it into an evil campaign?

I'm all for the previously mentioned ideas, however, I want what a player would think is best. Granted, that with great risk comes great reward. It is a rather "minor" mutation. I myself once played a Dwarf Troll Slayer, who was "gifted" with leathery skin. I saw of it more as a beneficial factor than a detrimental one. This is more so a "flavor" context mutation.

I know the players are fairly swayed by my story-telling (though sessions are two weeks apart so I can write a new one out, bad guy flow charted and the whole nine yards) but for the most part all of their actions have consequences, even if they aren't seen right away. So I could continue to mutate the party, which, they are indeed, going into a warpstone cavern in order to stop the Skaven from hoarding and selling it to a cult that's become a syndicate in several cities.

Please help out.

Even also this forum should serve all the fans for ideas - You might want to try http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/ .

Well, your ideas to heal mutation are pretty hard (if not impossible):

1) This is good one. I like it. But hard - long (perilous) journey, not to mention to go all the way through dungeons. But, why would Slaanesh altar heal mutation? I would say, that one is pretty corrupt and might cause another one. Offcourse if your idea is that they destroy the altar - that should be done in the name of some God and with priest. But, would mutation be healed automaticly...

2) Slaanesh monolith. Well, some captured cultist could tell where to find it, and it could be closer (for example in Norsca). But again - Slaanesh monolith will cause more mutations. Monoliths are VERY corrupting.

3) huh - nasty.

Revisions to those:

1) Maybe the cure is long lost Valayas altar? With lost healing runes, that must be activated with runesmith.

2) Shallya related holy place (spring, clearing, tree...what ever). But, this should be in some difficult place (like deep inside Norsca, Southlands jungles...). And there is only a story about that place, but offcourse characters manage to hear about some person, who knows about this place. That could be adventure itself. Another option: Similar thing, but with some Elven God, like Isha. And characters must find their way inside Elven Kingdoms. Well, this is tricky too, but maybe they must do some mission.

3) Some ingredient taken from the Daemon, like heart. But then you should need some special ritual and maybe some special place and people (shallyans, daemonologist...etc).

Edited by jackdays

OK a couple of things I feel should be discussed on this as well as an idea of what to do, firstly though is that Karak Azgal was without a doubt the worst product released for 2nd edition, the NPC's are stupid (some are impossible and can't actually exist) and dungeon crawls just don't work well in warhammer, especially on the scope presented in that book. Warhammer is brutal and as a result long dungeon crawls are only going to end in the destruction of your pcs, this is however a personal opinion of course so if that's what your group love then full power to you.

The removal of a Mutation would be as I see it an epic quest broken down into multiple Chapters, which I feel would best be done via a ritual (arcane or divine), where in the character would need to find someone capable of such a feat (while not attracting the attention of witch hunters at any part of this journey), then they would need to go on quests in order for them to be willing to attempt the ritual upon them or to prove they are deserving of the rituals attempt, then a series of quests to find the various ingredients required many of which would be extremely difficult to attain, along with quests to gain the support of additional NPC's to help with the casting of the ritual. This could be hugely epic, I'd suggest checking out the Tome of Sorcery ritual creation section and even drawing up the ritual with the PC in question as I've had fantastic results doing so in the past.

At the end of the day its your story so do what you feel would be best for your group and this is only a single idea but I just thought it would make for a epic quest while being highly adaptable to your groups needs and style.

Thanks for reading Crimsonsun

The removal of a Mutation would be as I see it an epic quest broken down into multiple Chapters [...]

I agree it should be a super epic quest, if it was easy everyone would do it and mutation would stop beeing a threat.