BRING BACK THE PAINTING FORUM FFG ! ! ! ! ! ! !

By Barry Harker, in X-Wing

FFG

PLEASE Bring back the painting Forum.

Those of us that enjoy Painting and Modifying these excellent Models need a place where we can all enjoy each others work

in one place.

a big part of this Hobby is the Enjoyment of spending time, And Money !

making these models suit individual tastes, and part of that.....NO A BIG PART is the Inspiration we get from each other when we see

what other X-wing fans are doing to there models to make fantastic creations, that we can all view easily in one place.

By allowing peoples creative freedom to flourish, that would surely be a positive stance on your part.

and allow that creativeness to continue in one place so that we can view in marvel what everyone is doing.

Having to trawl through the Main Forum is detrimental in the long run.

it takes such a long time to find those who have taken the time and patience to post there creations, that it gets

very very very annoying !

Nothing against all of the many post's in the main Forum.

But our creative outlet is being lost in a sea of conversation's on the normal aspects of the game.

This is a Hobby, And for some. The biggest part of this Hobby is being able to be creative

PLEASE DON'T STIFLE OUR IMAGINATION AND INSPIRATION.

Bring back the painting forum, for EVERYONE to Enjoy.......PLEASE ! :)

Regards.

Barry Harker

21_zps5t2qt82k.jpg

I support this motion

I also support it.

While seeing all of these custom paint, and sometimes even modelling, jobs is nice they can eat up a lot of general board space while they have little effect on the actual game.

I third the motion!

Lawyers will always ruin the enjoyment of others. It's their thing.

I also agree. It really doesn't make sense!

I'm sure they would bring it back if they could--by which I mean I don't brink they'd have taken it down without a compelling reason, from their point of view.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

I love Dat Mouse... but did he have to take away our best and most active FUN sub-forum?

yoda.gif

Hey Guys.

Good to see some of you agree.

And

If it is a Legal issue.

Then perhaps it could be moderated in someway as to allow certain things to be done.

For instance

Banning anything other than pure scratchbuild's,model conversions with FFG products

And Re-paints.

Don't allow any Rapid prototype unlicensed products into the forum.

Ask nicely.

Play within the rules

And everyone can have fun.

Use an unlicensed Star Wars product.

And you should be asked to remove the item before a Moderator does it for you!

And maybe some us who want the paint forum back

Could help FFG moderate it.

Try and keep it fair.

Fun and easy for everyone to use and enjoy.

Within the Licenseing Rules.

Just an idea.....if it is a License problem due to a certain company.

All the best.

Barry.

I'm sure they would bring it back if they could--by which I mean I don't brink they'd have taken it down without a compelling reason, from their point of view.

I mean all the threads still exist, they just fell off the map on the main sub-forum. Whatever violations were being committed can be still be committed here, so what gives? Furthermore, if it was a moderating tactic, it was a foolish one. If you want to keep on eye on a potentially dangerous needle, don't store it in a haystack.

Edited by Sekac

Hey Guys.

Good to see some of you agree.

And

If it is a Legal issue.

Then perhaps it could be moderated in someway as to allow certain things to be done.

For instance

Banning anything other than pure scratchbuild's,model conversions with FFG products

And Re-paints.

Don't allow any Rapid prototype unlicensed products into the forum.

Ask nicely.

Play within the rules

And everyone can have fun.

Use an unlicensed Star Wars product.

And you should be asked to remove the item before a Moderator does it for you!

And maybe some us who want the paint forum back

Could help FFG moderate it.

Try and keep it fair.

Fun and easy for everyone to use and enjoy.

Within the Licenseing Rules.

Just an idea.....if it is a License problem due to a certain company.

All the best.

Barry.

Yeah I am just about certain that the ever growing noise of buy my illegal wares post got our beloved forum noticed and then blasted.

:angry:

Just officially re-designate another forum as the painting forum. I'd say the Squad lists forum. This way you could be like "Here's my Squad... they are purple now".

I've got an idea. How about the slimy ninjas give us the reason it was taken down.

I like having it here.. less forum jumping... I seldom visited it when it was its own forum...

I'm Stuffedskullcat and I approve this message.

Did anybody ask why they removed it? Say, during Gencon?

As for the reason why.

There is a lot of speculation but as of yet.....no proper answer.

So the only way to find out is ask FFG directly.

Which is what I have just done via Email.

I will let you know what the reply is.

Hopefully they will shed some light on the Subject.

All the best,

Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what that would be though. I've heard potential copyright laws but I really can't make sense of that.

I mean all the threads still exist, they just fell off the map on the main sub-forum. Whatever violations were being committed can be still be committed here, so what gives? Furthermore, if it was a moderating tactic, it was a foolish one. If you want to keep on eye on a potentially dangerous needle, don't store it in a haystack.

I mentioned this in an off-topic thread, and I'll start off by saying I'm not a lawyer and I have zero actual information. But here's my guess.

Remember the weird bit in the tournament rules about not being able to modify the shape of minis? That's obviously a licensing thing. And it's a great fit for the little bit I know about the Star Wars license: under any management, Lucasfilm is interested in making sure their recognizable properties stay recognizable.

Over here, though, FFG is expressing explicit support for painting and modding by providing a forum where people can talk about and show off those things. Notably, it's not the content that's a problem--a reasonable person wouldn't expect FFG to control what people do with the minis. But a reasonable person might conclude that FFG condones or supports it, and that introduces ambiguity where the license doesn't tolerate it.

So either FFG's lawyers did a review and concluded it was a risk, or Disney's lawyers asked them politely to cut it out. Either way, the result is what we see now: the content is all still here, but it no longer has a dedicated forum. That lets FFG quietly continue accommodate their fans, while also providing plausible deniability--again, they want to establish that a reasonable person would conclude they're in the business of protecting Lucasfilm's recognizable properties.

I'm not against a separate Paint Forum but I am glad you guys are back on the main page. Paint posts are so positive and really add to the overall feel that this game is alive and well.

Until we actually know why the Paint forum was removed I don't see how you can successfully address the issues and get them to reinstate the forum. Being angry and calling people names like a few have on this thread is very counter productive.

I also would love to have the painting forum back.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what that would be though. I've heard potential copyright laws but I really can't make sense of that.

I mentioned this in an off-topic thread, and I'll start off by saying I'm not a lawyer and I have zero actual information. But here's my guess.

Remember the weird bit in the tournament rules about not being able to modify the shape of minis? That's obviously a licensing thing. And it's a great fit for the little bit I know about the Star Wars license: under any management, Lucasfilm is interested in making sure their recognizable properties stay recognizable.

Over here, though, FFG is expressing explicit support for painting and modding by providing a forum where people can talk about and show off those things. Notably, it's not the content that's a problem--a reasonable person wouldn't expect FFG to control what people do with the minis. But a reasonable person might conclude that FFG condones or supports it, and that introduces ambiguity where the license doesn't tolerate it.

So either FFG's lawyers did a review and concluded it was a risk, or Disney's lawyers asked them politely to cut it out. Either way, the result is what we see now: the content is all still here, but it no longer has a dedicated forum. That lets FFG quietly continue accommodate their fans, while also providing plausible deniability--again, they want to establish that a reasonable person would conclude they're in the business of protecting Lucasfilm's recognizable properties.

This makes sense, but there is something which does not click. If this was really the reason, then any painting/mod thread would have to be forbidden too. Nevertheless, they are floating around.

Brig it back, PLEASE!!!!!

Interestingly enough if you go the news page on this site and watch FFG's video recap/highlights of Gen Con 2015 they showed multiple X-Wing ship repaints. If FFG had an issue with repaints they would not have highlighted them in that video.

Since I wasn't a regular visitor to the repaints and mods forum I don't know the full scope of the content that had been on there recently but if there was enough people trying to sell unlicensed products on there that could have been the primary issue of yanking the forum.

Edited by FlyingAnchors