New Expansion or 4th Edition

By teslar, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

No you don't have a right. Twilight Imperium is the best as it is. No change races and rules. And hone rules is bad idea because if you use it you change everything, balance and you can do all you wish. Game has easy rules and players should play with this. Everything Twilight Imoerium need is NEW EXPANSION. Expansion with 4 new races, new race technologies, new systems, new action and political cards, additional representatives and marcenaries, 3-4 big scenarios, aadditional 1 war sun per colour, additional wormhole nexus because maps for 6 player is too small and maybe all rules errata and faq in one book. and tech tree with markers!

all we need is TI:Star Wars

:)

No!!! keep away star wars from my TI universe! enough star wars. they are everywhere...enough :)

Like I said on the first page of this thread

I don't really see a Star Wars version of TI as being all that good a fit. SW, by its nature, is pretty much a "good vs evil" story. there are 2 sides. While the EU introduced various minor powers to the galaxy, the story remained rebellion vs empire. But TI is designed to be multi-faction. The game doesn't work with 2 players.

Yeah, you can hack something together with Hutts and Black Sun and CSA, but it won't feel like SW then.

I guess you could maybe do it as clone wars, but a prequel era setting probably wouldn't go over all that well. Star Trek or Warhammer 40K would be much better fits for a reskin of TI.

But I like the TI universe. I don't want them to reskin it for someone else's setting, I want them to expand THIS setting.

Edited by Forgottenlore

To show my love for this game. This is the table i made for a 8 player game last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YY6aS0zTFA

Awesome work. That must have taken hundreds of hours.

However, I would have a few concerns:

The board looks pretty busy which may sacrifice function for form. I can just see knocking over planets as you place your units, especially as you near the center of the board. Also may be more difficult to see units among the clutter.

My second point is with the table. Doesn't look very sturdy. Don't put your masterpiece on such a rickety platform, on player leaning on the table could bring it crashing down. Also not much area for races to set up.

Other than that, excellent job and looks great. Makes me want to paint my ships at least.

all we need is TI:Star Wars

:)

Although I don't really care for the victory system for Rebellion and I think there needs to be something done about commander loading a planet for missions. I do like the combat system Rebellion has. Came up with an idea to copy that combat system using dice from Star Wars Armada. You can find it HERE .

I for one would rather take a TI: Star TREK edition over a Star WARS one. Trek has more distinct sides...

Edited by Fnoffen

I for one would rather take a TI: Star TREK edition over a Star WARS one. Trek has more distinct sides...

Agreed but right now FFG does not have a licenses agreement for Star Wars. They licensed out the flight path system of X-wing to Whizkids for Star Trek Attack Wing but I think both Disney and Viacom want to keep the franchises separate. Letting JJ Abrhams have both of them was the biggest mistake in the history of science fiction ever made.

I know it's not enough to carry an expansion all by itself, but I did think of some things I'd like to see added as options.... (forgive me if csomeone has mentioned it before)

Racial Objectives. Maybe three per faction, player to your left shuffles your races deck, deals you one, and puts the rest back.From then on they work like Secret Objectives.

Bombers. Similar to Shock Troops in that they are free upgrades for Fighters. Better combat value, must be damaged first out of the group. Replace the ability to capture PDS with maybe an option to lose the upgrade to make an additional attack roll?

The Emperor's Ship; A new ship type, only one in the game that players have to compete to earn. Basically a super-War Sun. If it's destroyed it's just gone, but gives a bunch of nice bonuses.

1. Or you can just have 3 radicaly diffrent but thematic secret objectives. To be fair I sort of like the Shards of the Throne secret hand set up where you give alliance cards and they can chose to accept or take it back.But yeah more secret objective or better yet a racial secret objective would be better. How often did you get the invasion secret objective as the Xichxia and frowned. ;)
  2. Making a house rule that uses Armada dice as different unit types and different damage types much in the same way Star Wars Rebellion has black health and red health was an idea for bombers. Only I used Armada dice and Black was for infantry Blue was for fighters and red was for hard targets (ships mech PDS). I can Imagine a bomber which is blue health but rolls red attack and a gunship which has blue health but rolled black attack dice.
  3. Well there already is flagships modules. I think the Emperor's flagship would just be a Lazax faction flag ship that has some broken Lazax ability. However the Lazax lore is not very well explained. The Lazax emperor could be like many of the Oriental Emperors of the past in which the Emperor was never supposed to leave the royal palace let alone the capital city. They were too divine to go into the wilderness, that was for their advisers and subjects to go in and report back what the outside world was like.

Well, i started this topic a year ago at the end of GenCon 2015. Now at the end of Gencon 2016 and nothing new about TI3.

I hope FFG donĀ“t forget the TI Universe.

I love this game. I make a new board, painted all minis, scrachbuild mini for all Flagships for all races, for all mercs too, create new house rules. With the hope to make this epic game became more epic. And once a year, me and my friends sit down and for 16 hours (a two day game) enjoy this great game.

Sam Healey from dice tower make a great video about my customization in the segment Canvas around the world in his program throat punch lunch (8:30 minutes)

http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/throat-punch-lunch-episode-3-welcome-back-yall

4th Edition my friends.

I guess the Answer is 4th Edition, but it looks like the new edition only starts with 6 races.

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I guess the Answer is 4th Edition, but it looks like the new edition only starts with 6 races.

No, it can support up to 6 players. But it comes with 17 races!

31 minutes ago, watertribe107 said:

No, it can support up to 6 players. But it comes with 17 races!

If I have the different coloured models from the TI3 expansions could I play TI4 with 8 players?

Just now, mulletcheese said:

If I have the different coloured models from the TI3 expansions could I play TI4 with 8 players?

There may be a few other components that will need to be worked around. Looks like you would need 2 extra technology decks for one thing, there may be others.

If my math is correct, you'd need additional system tiles for a 4-ring map as well. New game comes with 51, and I believe a 4-ring galaxy uses 61. The hexes are probably the same size as the 3rd ed ones, so they could be mixed, but we don't know yet if the resource and influence values will all stay the same and that could cause problems. Some hexes also include additional symbols that we are uncertain about, and tech specialties may become more common.

In short, it might require some work but will probably be doable.

On 1/1/2016 at 8:29 PM, BigKahuna said:

3rd edition at this point is over 10 years old and I think its had a pretty great run considering its a pretty niche type game. If they intended to develop a 4th edition of TI3 they certainly have plenty of experience and solid mechanics from the last 10 years to draw on. I doubt however that if they make a 4th version it would cater to the existing fan base. In all likelyhood they would be looking to stream line, speed up and simplify the game and I'm not sure the existing fan base would appreciate a kind of dumbing down of their favorite game. On the flip side if they make a 4th edition for the existing fan base, which at this point is pretty tiny, you would have to question if it would be worth it for them considering the scale of sales they work with today for products like X-Wing and Armada. They have done pretty limited prints of this game, I doubt there is more than 3-4 thousand copies of it in existence.

I think they have a far better chance of earning money by printing a new expansion, that's something every owner of TI3 is going to buy by default, they could probably calculate the number of sales they will make down to the decimal. Expansions also tend to trigger a returned interest and create buzz, which can trigger sales of everything else that has been printed.

All that said, I have it on good authority that TI3 is Christian Petersens baby and first love. If he decides to make a 4th edition it won't be for money, it will simply be a labor of love and I actually think that is a real possibility.

Quoting myself from last year, now that 4e has been released it turns out my final comment was not only accurate but almost a direct quote from Christian T.P. about the logic and reasoning for developing and releasing 4E. For what its worth I agree with him whole heartedly, sometimes you have to create something like TI4 just for the fans, just because its part of your legacy. He did just that and financially successful or not 4e, even before its released is going to be a part of a long and wonderful legacy that FFG has produced with this game. Its great to see that even after years of financial success FFG still knows how to treat its fans.