New Expansion or 4th Edition

By teslar, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

No Twilight Imperium expansion or 4th Edition or a new game in TI3 universe, this year at GenCon.

Not overly surprising, but sad nonetheless.

I would really really like to see them expand the TI universe into a bona fide franchise with a full range of all kinds of games. RPGs, miniatures, several board games, maybe a LCG.

I got runebound and fury of dracula.

FFG can't resurrect too many dead games at the same time.

Fingers crossed for twilight imperium next year.

I've still not managed to play this game after being one of the first games I bought joining the hobby close to two years ago. I think I'll get to play it in the next month or two but I fully expect a fourth edition before I get to play a second game!

I actually don't want a 4th edition. To me the game is about as close to perfect as you can get. Just do another expansion every 5 years it so to add some new races, units, tech and such.

Ok.... but do something...a dungeon crawling like Descent or Imperial Assault in the TI3 Universe, or a Cardgame, or a Adventure Game, a miniature Game....But please do something...ten years after the release of the 3 Edition.

Ok.... but do something...a dungeon crawling like Descent or Imperial Assault in the TI3 Universe, or a Cardgame, or a Adventure Game, a miniature Game....But please do something...ten years after the release of the 3 Edition.

Indeed. I would love an Armada or X-wing style game in the TI universe. To say nothing of a RPG.

I'd love a 3rd expansion.

Edited by Nagash1959

Indeed. I would love an Armada or X-wing style game in the TI universe. To say nothing of a RPG.

You lost me there not interested at all for me ... while I want more TI ... I always ALWAYS want more TI (More Races, More Ships, more options, deeper political turns etc.... ) I don't want ANOTHER overwpriced collectable mini game where you have to buy all sorts of shipos you don't need just to get the cards that come with them.

TI3 is great as it is. No need for fourth edition. But...more games in that universe WOULD be very intriguing...

No need for a 4th edition, but it would be awesome to see the official Star Wars version finally come out. Hasbro blah blah licensing blah blah, but I'm sure FFG could find a way to make it happen. Only downside would be now that all the EU has been deleted and replaced with Episode canon, many of the locations and personalities that made the SW universe great wouldn't be included.

I don't really see a Star Wars version of TI as being all that good a fit. SW, by its nature, is pretty much a "good vs evil" story. there are 2 sides. While the EU introduced various minor powers to the galaxy, the story remained rebellion vs empire. But TI is designed to be multi-faction. The game doesn't work with 2 players.

Yeah, you can hack something together with Hutts and Black Sun and CSA, but it won't feel like SW then.

I guess you could maybe do it as clone wars, but a prequel era setting probably wouldn't go over all that well. Star Trek or Warhammer 40K would be much better fits for a reskin of TI.

But I like the TI universe. I don't want them to reskin it for someone else's setting, I want them to expand THIS setting.

I have been wanting to buy this game but the looks of the components seems like the board game is going around for a long time. In my opinion the gameplay is awesome but the components just need to look more attractive in this time; So maybe a 3.1 edition ? Same gameplay but with better looking components!

This game doesn't really need a new expansion and with the trend of new editions aiming to streamline games, I fear a 4th edition wouldn't really capture the majestic epicness of TI3 (which whilst a long game, has pretty smooth mechanics). What would go down well, is to do an Eclipse style expansion- a box set containing individual ships for each race (or at least a bigger variety of models). I'd snap that up in an instant!

I have been wanting to buy this game but the looks of the components seems like the board game is going around for a long time. In my opinion the gameplay is awesome but the components just need to look more attractive in this time; So maybe a 3.1 edition ? Same gameplay but with better looking components!

Are you talking specifically about the plastic ships? Because the cards and hexes and tokens and basically everything else are all top notch.

I guess you could maybe do it as clone wars, but a prequel era setting probably wouldn't go over all that well. Star Trek or Warhammer 40K would be much better fits for a reskin of TI.

I agree Star Wars is not a good fit. Babylon 5 or Dune would also do well, especially the former.

Oh man if they remade TI3 as a B5 game I'd be all over it!

oh hell yeah. Will sell soul for B5 flavored TI3.

Personally I would hope for a small expansion, and NOT "TI4"...a small expansion with 2-3 more Great Races, maybe another ship type like a Missile Frigate, some new Public Objective cards, that's about it.

Personally, I'd be all over a Star Trek version of TI...

more progressive utility would be a cool addition though;
in general a complete makeover for politics, ACs and Tech would be nice.
as for units;I´d really like to see a Ship that can Tech into utility....maybe like:

"Frigate": mvmnt 2; cost 4; capacity 2;combat 7;

Heavy Barrage*1:

Before first round of combat roll a dice for each enemy non-fighter ship. For each 7+ apply 1 hit to the enemy fleet; these hits can not be taken by fighters. Only one Frigate may Perform "Heavy Barrage" each Battle. Requires Graviton Laser System

Infiltration Pods:

As an action you may activate an adjacent system under an opponents control and immdiately engage invasion combat, regardles of the number of enemy ships in that system (only Groundforces from the Frigate may be used for that). Requires Maneuvering Jets

For all other techs this ship is Treated like a Cruiser.

My thoughts on this; im not sure about the general opinion but Meneuvering Jets and Graviton Laser system are both rather unpopular techs in my Playgroup so I just picked them as they are both techs that require players to tech at least twice for them.

As for treated like a Cruiser; its just somewhat random. I was thinking about dreadnaughts first but with cost 4 for this ship at least SOME usefull upgrades should be in range in my opinion.

The basic Idear was to design a ship that works around boardstalls in case you want to play a proactive mid-game and yet requires some tech and money to get going.

In fact this is probably major bull if you dont have at least one of the two techs online

1*: I had trouble to formulate this in a decent way but obviously this shouldnt stack with additional Heavy Barrages

Edited by Wonoz

Another expansion would be great!

I want a TI miniatures game like Battlefleet Gothic.

3rd edition at this point is over 10 years old and I think its had a pretty great run considering its a pretty niche type game. If they intended to develop a 4th edition of TI3 they certainly have plenty of experience and solid mechanics from the last 10 years to draw on. I doubt however that if they make a 4th version it would cater to the existing fan base. In all likelyhood they would be looking to stream line, speed up and simplify the game and I'm not sure the existing fan base would appreciate a kind of dumbing down of their favorite game. On the flip side if they make a 4th edition for the existing fan base, which at this point is pretty tiny, you would have to question if it would be worth it for them considering the scale of sales they work with today for products like X-Wing and Armada. They have done pretty limited prints of this game, I doubt there is more than 3-4 thousand copies of it in existence.

I think they have a far better chance of earning money by printing a new expansion, that's something every owner of TI3 is going to buy by default, they could probably calculate the number of sales they will make down to the decimal. Expansions also tend to trigger a returned interest and create buzz, which can trigger sales of everything else that has been printed.

All that said, I have it on good authority that TI3 is Christian Petersens baby and first love. If he decides to make a 4th edition it won't be for money, it will simply be a labor of love and I actually think that is a real possibility.

I honestly can't think of a good reason for another expansion or 4th edition. The game with the two expansions already are so good. The only thing I can think of is a redo of the leader tokens (make them more like mercenaries or representatives) and maybe official rules for a 2-player game... but that's all I can think of.