Mirror of Desire - before or after Edge of Night??

By GRAAK, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hi guys, the question is simple as is topic title :)

What would you suggest?

I'm starting GMing with a new group of friends, at the moment they are in the middle of the Horror of Hugeldal.

I plan to get them soon involved in Eye for an Eye and then, in no particular order:

- Winds of Change

- Gathering storm (I read quite bad reviews about it...suggestion?)

- Edge of Night

- Mirror of desire.

I think tGS could be easily swapped before or after the other two, but should Mirror of deside be played before or after EoN?

I dont' want to put them in a position where they would be already in the favours of the Aschaffenberg. So maybe after EoN?

In the end I will play Harrowers of Thane to bring them in Black Fire pass...and introduce them in the gorgeous TEW, since the proximity of Averheim.

Edited by GRAAK

I would definitly play Mirror of Desire before Edge of Night. That way the player characters get to know some of the NPCs that will show up in EoN. EoN is quite a bit more NPC heavy, so knowing a few of the cast is a good thing.

We had a lot of fun with Gathering Storm, it's basically a showcase of the typical Warhammer bad-guys (chaos, greenskins, undead). But it's not as bad as some reviews say, we had a ton of fun with it.

TEW is meant to be started with rank 1 characters, and it has some specific character creation rules. You'd probably have to do some modifications to the adventure if you intend to play with the same characters through all the listed adventures.

Thank you!!

I've read the whole TEW and you're right. In fact I hope to get most of the PC killed or retired when they start moving towards Averland ;)

Do you have any suggestion about playing/fixing TGS?

I played Edge of Night after TGS (mention of that in thread) I worked on a lot before playing, it's got some great bones and set pieces but needs work on how they fit together.

When I ran TGS I went with a suggestion in the text of making the real villain someone other than the rather obvious one in adventure as written.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/33038-gathering-storm-summary-of-play/

He remains much as written and a menace as any over-confident and over-ambitious practitioner of magic in the Warhammer world is such (another great things about how TGS is essentially a 'walk through of core WFRP tropes and elements').

He is a pawn manipulated by others in the town, the real cult at work etc.

I played up the murder mystery much more, having the family involved actually put in an appearance in a lead in adventure (rough night at three feathers adapted).

I also changed the role the pieces and elven ruin, the elven ruin was a watch outpost on the faulty waystone and was to repair it if needed, inasmuch as it could, the ghost of its last overseer remains out of commitment to its cause and can (at great cost to the PC it possesses) use the pieces to repair the waystone.

I didn't like the ending meaning that one way or another the location can never be used again for the PC's, I like play "drilling down" and using NPC's and past events as "threads" to continually use again in tying campaign into a story. Other thoughts given in that linked thread.

The thread I link notes some other things, such as Mourn being a bit "glass-jawed" if you're not careful.

I actually played Mirror of Desire much later, moving it to Averheim.

Valvorik has some great points regarding TGS.

We played it quite early and all players (except me as a GM) was quite new to the warhammer world. So we played it mostly as it's written and had a lot of fun without any changes to the plot.

If I were to GM it again however I'd probably make some changes. Such deepening the murder mystery, which my players wanted to explore more. And I'd probably do as valvorik suggests and have some other power behind the obvious villain.