game board

By chubtoad69, in Talisman

all the ideas to print out stickers etc.. are really crap. That's really going to look awesome having stickers all over the place. Isn't it? enfadado.gif

For me, It would have being better for FFG not to even often the upgrade. I can't see FFG selling to many Upgrade packs.

Anyhow, I'll just have to buy it again.

rcmoore said:

What are you missing from the upgrade? A few board changes and some stackable counters. The money that you would save from buying the full game is what, $40? You have to ask yourself if the price is worth it or not. Frankly, if you are strapped for cash, the upgrade makes a lot of sense. You can always print out the text of the affected sites and have it next to you when you play. In fact, that isn't much different then what you already have to do with the BI version and its pages of FAQ and errata. Really, FFG is doing you a favor by offering an affordable alternative to purchasing essentially another copy of the game.

Oh this doesn't affect me in the slightest, I am buying the full FFG edition, but not having those erratas for the board actually changes the way the game is played, where as not having the new counters does not. That is definatly something they should be shipping in the upgrade, no matter what anyone says.

SubElement said:

People should *really* check this thread to see if anyone has linked to that webpage, which they have! We know about it, but we're discussing how they changes to the board aren't in the upgrade pack, when they REALLY should be.

Well, since people still are all "OMG teh evil gitz at FFG arn't giving us stickers in teh upgrade" I thought it would be helpful to bring their attention to the relevant section of the website again. Apparently the previous link didn't quite do it, did it?

akuma508 said:

all the ideas to print out stickers etc.. are really crap.

Gee, thanks mr. Friendly. What are you? A Troll?

akuma508 said:

That's really going to look awesome having stickers all over the place. Isn't it? enfadado.gif

Somehow I doubt any stickers printed by FFG and released through the upgrade pack would have looked any better. And, seeing the quality of the material they provided on the website, I'm sure it will look at least satisfying, if not better then that.

akuma508 said:

For me, It would have being better for FFG not to even often the upgrade. I can't see FFG selling to many Upgrade packs.

How come having less choices would have been better then having more choices? Since FFG kindly provided the updated locations at their website, and everything else that is needed in the upgrade, the upgrade will certainly be the purchase of choice to most people who bought BI's edition. FFG just needs to stress a bit more visibly that updated locations are availible at their website.

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

Look, I understand you're defending FFG etc, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day this is something that FFG DEFINATLY should have included in the upgrade pack. It's not at all like not including the new counters, this actually changes the way the game plays. What's the point of offering an upgrade pack if it doesn't even offer a full upgrade experience?

Like I said in a previous post, I don't know if they have changed the Upgrade Pack since I received the image of the back of the box, and if they have, then power to them for including the changes to the board.

I don't like the idea of FFG saying, "Oh, you can also download some changes to the board on our website. We'll leave it to you to print out, resize and somehow stick it to the board, that's even if you know to check the website for such a change." Which like you said they haven't even done. So at the moment you would have to find the article, have the technical savvy (albeit rather basic) to know how to save images from a website, size them correctly so they fit the board and somehow stick them on.

In conclusion, if this is something that is now shipping with the Upgrade, then awesome. Otherwise, bad form FFG, bad form.

I'm not so much defending FFG, as trying to show people who're stuck with BI's version that the upgrade pack is still a viable option for them, despite the changes on the board. I certainly agree that it would have been better if FFG included stickers in the upgrade pack itself. Since they didn't do it, people should have the opportunity to get as much as they can from what they did.

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

SubElement said:

I don't like the idea of FFG saying, "Oh, you can also download some changes to the board on our website. We'll leave it to you to print out, resize and somehow stick it to the board, that's even if you know to check the website for such a change." Which like you said they haven't even done. So at the moment you would have to find the article, have the technical savvy (albeit rather basic) to know how to save images from a website, size them correctly so they fit the board and somehow stick them on.

In conclusion, if this is something that is now shipping with the Upgrade, then awesome. Otherwise, bad form FFG, bad form.

I really think this is good form from FFG. For $20 you get essentially everything you need to upgrade your game and ensure that future expansions will be compatible. This is a good, affordable option. As for the board changes it is not necessary to have stickers to overlay on the board (although with enough requests, perhaps they WILL provide some in the future or make the quality pdfs of the spaces available for you to print on some sticker paper). The solution is simple enough...just have the correct text sitting there next to you when you play the game. Print it out, write it on a scrap of paper; it really doesn't matter. If you like the game, want to be able to play future expansions, and don't want to blow an extra $40 for the board and markers you don't have to. Put things in perspective.

In my not so humble opinion...

I think that if FFG had radically overhauled the game instead of just a smaller revision / fix, I would balk less at getting a whole new copy but the short time frame between the BL and the FFG version and the smaller changes (than say 2nd to 3rd edition or 3rd to 4th) makes me reticent to buy a whole new version and I appreciate at least the upgrade kit albeit incomplete. So there is a price difference of $40 but that's a whole new different game and I would rather buy (again like Talisman, I have multiple versions) the new version of Cosmic Encounter and the upgrade for Talisman than a single copy of Talisman that means my old BL is retired to gather dust. We still pull out 2nd and 3rd edition now and again but with a whole new 4th edition, there would be no reason to ever use any of the BL stuff, I don't see any second hand market need for it

I appreciate the upgrade kit and the board fixes may need a little bit of work but FFG could have easily said screw it, this replaces everything and who cares for the core fans who already bought the BL version. With the onslaught of games they are throwing out in Dec, I'm feeling slightly more generous towards them so may pick up a few more things as well..

The Doctor

I expect to pick up my upgrade pack day after tomorrow, if nobody else has reported on what they got in theirs I'll drop in. I'm not surprised we're not getting a new board with the upgrade pack at the price they're selling it--the board probably costs more to manufacture than the rest of the game.

Some stickers for the updated board spaces would be nice if they were good quality stickers. Ones with a fabric backing, frex. Having the correct wording off to the side isn't nearly as nice, IMO. Players are looking at the board when they play. They read it, and they start getting ideas right away. It really breaks game flow up when you have to stop and go, "No, that space is errata'd. Here's what it's supposed to say." Then you get into the "If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gone there!"

If you play all the time with all your players, then it's easy enough to say "tough noogies, you shoulda known." But if you have people who don't play all the time it gets disruptive.

I'll probably end up putting stickers on my board if there aren't any in the upgrade box just to avoid these problems. If I have to make my own I'll try to make them as good looking as I can, but a pro print job would be nicer.

I have a 5-6 player expansion of a board game by another company that included stickers to use on their board and they turned out fantastic. The stickers were made of heavy plastic and are reusable for when you are not playing the expansion. Sorta like a high quality, sticky Colorform.

I am disappointed that the upgrade does not bring the board up to the current rules, but I still bought the upgrade and pre-ordered the expansion.

I want to see a sticker set made, and maybe mail in your UPC from the upgrade box to get it.

OR

Give us a PDF of the changed areas, so we can make a photo paper printout (much easier for FFG).

Well, I'm sure you could easily make up something given the high quality of the board space pictures they posted in the article...

I tend to really geek out with every game I play...

I couldn't wait, must have game board updated for club gaming night tonight...

The .jpgs from the article just happen to be exact size to print out for the board! I used Paint and with some fiddling you can get all 5 board areas on one page of sticker paper.

Also, the upgrade set does have rules for most of the board changes on the instruction sheet included.

Hopefully by next week the miniatures will all be painted, then just need to wait for the expansion.