game board

By chubtoad69, in Talisman

I was so excited to hear that they were making a 4th edition of Talisman that I purchased the Black Industries release as soon as I found it. Now that FFG is releasing it I am just thrilled, especially with the release of a new expansion. I see they have an upgrade pack for the Black Industries version to bring it up to FFG standards but it doesn't include a game board. Does this mean that the game boards will be the same? Does anyone know this yet? And if it's not the same what is different between the two, will it just be easier to get the new 4th edition?

Thanks,

-chubtoad69

I have two copies of the BI version but am still planing on getting the FFG version. I will probably pick up two upgrade packs as well. cool.gif

chubtoad69 said:

Does this mean that the game boards will be the same?

The boards should be the same, otherwise the Upgrade pack for 4th edition standard would be pointless (which is what I'm doing). If you haven't purchased the game as yet, then buy the newer revised edition from FFG and avoid the extra cost of the upgrade.

Yeah the boards will be identicle, except that the new FFG board will have all the errors fixed.

Are you sure that is what FFG have said.

I have the BI 4th edition.

If l just buy just the upgrade pack then l am left with a uncorrected board.

I thought the FFG board was also going to be a little lighter with slightly bigger spaces. Not a major refurb besides fixing the errors, though. I've got the BI one, and plan on just getting the whole FFG game to get off on the right foot for the expansions. Plus, I just love this game and have to have everthing released from here on for it....

Is there a comprehensive list of board "fixes?" I seem to recall something about a wording clarification on Desert spaces, but I don't remember much else.

I'm planning on getting the upgrade pack....I think.

BI's 4th Edtion Board errors that l am aware of.

Village - The cost of the Axe was wrong at the Village, it states a cost of 2G the same as the Sword, the Axe should cost 3G.

Desert - States Lose 1 Life, it should say Draw 1 Card and then Lose 1 Life. Do not draw a Card if there is already one in the space.

The Desert spaces should now read as follows:

LOSE 1 LIFE THEN DRAW 1 CARD
Do not draw a card if there is already
one in this space.

talismanamsilat said:

The Desert spaces should now read as follows:

LOSE 1 LIFE THEN DRAW 1 CARD
Do not draw a card if there is already
one in this space.

This is from the Talisman Official F&Q v1.3

2.4 - Desert

Q1: The text printed on the Desert Space states that Characters must ‘lose a Life’, but the main section states that Characters ‘do not draw a Card if there is already one in the space’, which suggests that Characters should also draw an Adventure Card there. Is this correct?

A1: Yes, this is correct. The Desert Space should read: ‘Draw 1 Card and then lose a Life. Do not draw a Card if there is already one in the Space'.

Q2: Does a Character still have to lose a Life in a Desert Space, even if they do not defeat an Enemy or Enemy Spirit there?

A2: Yes, a Character must still lose a Life in a Desert Space, even if they do not defeat an Enemy or Enemy Spirit there. This could possibly mean that a Character loses 2 Lives there.

Bear in mind that the FAQ you quote refers to the BI incarnation of the game and not the FFG one.

So since so many changes are being made to the board, would it be too much to ask for stickers to place over the out dated tiles. They did this with WoW Board Game and Lord of the Rings.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah...this has me a little bummed now.

I'm not usually a big complainer...but I am now torn between these 3 choices:

1) Simply buying the revised 4th edition from FFG

2) Just buying the upgrade pack (my original intentions until the new board news came up!)

3) Skipping Talisman all together.

I don't want to sound like an A-Hole, but why couldn't they just have some "offer" for those with BI's version to upgrade the whole thing to FFG's version for a fee, say $20. I would pay that. Now, either way I go, I am sort of screwed.

Either I shell out a lot more $$$, or I have no new board and no stackable counters, etc...

Sigh. preocupado.gif

I'm confused too, because the Upgrade Pack doesn't mention anything about stickers for the board changes. There are number of changes to the board, regarding alignment and fate, in particular, in addition to general error fixes. What's the deal, anyone know?

Well there goes the idea of getting the upgrade pack. After seeing all the board changes im just going to get the whole game. AND I don't think it's worth my time to put the BI ed. on ebay. Guess I can just give it to my girlfriends little brother. Kinda bummed about the money I just spent on the BI ed. and now with the new rules its almost imperitive that I get the new game board. At least I get the counters, I really didnt like fishing for counters of certain values so *certain* players could satisfy their OCD.

The new board has changes also, You can replensih your fate at the graveyard, gain a fate at the temple and turn evil at the village mystic.

I won't be adopting the new fate rules, so I am going to keep my old board and get the upgrade.

gatefold313 said:

Well there goes the idea of getting the upgrade pack. After seeing all the board changes im just going to get the whole game. AND I don't think it's worth my time to put the BI ed. on ebay. Guess I can just give it to my girlfriends little brother. Kinda bummed about the money I just spent on the BI ed. and now with the new rules its almost imperitive that I get the new game board.

This is just it, gatefold...

BI's edition is now utterly worthless . I can't recoup some of my $$ via selling it; 'Geek or Ebay.

The upgrade pack is only 1/2 the necessary upgrade?! That's a crock, imo.

I am really surprised by FFG on this...very dissappointed, as well.

I don't truly know if I will get the revised edition, because I feel I have spent enough $$$ on Talisman.

With a true upgrade option, I would have...and I would have been in for all future expansions, most likely.

Now, not so much. serio.gif

I guess one thing we need to remember is that FFG is a buisness and the fact that they even offered any sort of an upgrade pack is amazing. If I were them I would not have even offered an upgrade pack at all so as to increase profits.

What's most distrubing to me, if I'm hearing correctly, is that the upgrade doesn't correct board errors. (Yes? No?) It would have been so easy to include stickers (even for $1 more) to overlay errata on the board.

If true, I suppose I'll have to do that myself with a little Photoshopping if I wish to go as far as adopting all the new changes in the "revised" edition. At this point, that's questionable. I don't see how the Mystic turning characters evil can be justified - entirely unnecessary.

More and more, I grow nostalgic for the days of 2nd edition (even with its faults)... as do those with whom I play the game.

I was going to buy the upgrade pack. but now I'm not so sure. I like the new broad changes (I still don't like FAte', but that is a different story). I'm glad the Graveyard is more even now. I'm also glad that we can be turned good and evil, it's not just one way now.

When I said the upgrade pack wouldn't include the new board or any board erratas I didn't realise that they had made some significant changes to the board...

Unless the back of the box has changed:

back45.jpg

Then that really does suck for anyone who was thinking about getting the upgrade pack... Now I definatly wouldn't touch it.

FFG HAS PROVIDED THE ALTERED LOCATIONS ON THEIR WEBSITE

That is here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=267

Well, some of them, at least. I've no idea whether any more were changed, and the article isn't 100% clear on that either. They're high res, downloadable files, covering the Temple, the Graveyard, the Chapel, the Village and the Desert. I guess anyone who has the BI version of the game board can just print these, and glue them over the old ones.

Of course it'd be nice if someone who ended up having both versions of the board compared them to each other and let us know what other locations might have been changed.

People should *really* check out the Talisman section of the FFG website more often, instead of stampeeding into a panic :P

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

Gorthuar said:

FFG HAS PROVIDED THE ALTERED LOCATIONS ON THEIR WEBSITE

That is here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=267

Well, some of them, at least. I've no idea whether any more were changed, and the article isn't 100% clear on that either. They're high res, downloadable files, covering the Temple, the Graveyard, the Chapel, the Village and the Desert. I guess anyone who has the BI version of the game board can just print these, and glue them over the old ones.

Of course it'd be nice if someone who ended up having both versions of the board compared them to each other and let us know what other locations might have been changed.

People should *really* check out the Talisman section of the FFG website more often, instead of stampeeding into a panic :P

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

People should *really* check this thread to see if anyone has linked to that webpage, which they have! We know about it, but we're discussing how they changes to the board aren't in the upgrade pack, when they REALLY should be.

What are you missing from the upgrade? A few board changes and some stackable counters. The money that you would save from buying the full game is what, $40? You have to ask yourself if the price is worth it or not. Frankly, if you are strapped for cash, the upgrade makes a lot of sense. You can always print out the text of the affected sites and have it next to you when you play. In fact, that isn't much different then what you already have to do with the BI version and its pages of FAQ and errata. Really, FFG is doing you a favor by offering an affordable alternative to purchasing essentially another copy of the game.