A thought on the stop of third edition

By BadinPlaid75, in WFRP Gamemasters

So I just finished reading my friend's End Times books and it got me thinking. I started late into getting involved with the game but fell in love with it. So I started to really dive into the worlds history and back ground to start my own game. Then I begin to think why stop 3ed with POD and other ways to get resources to the players.

Okay here is my thought. 3ed seems to take place before Storm of Chaos, warherds gathering, Ork waaaggghhhs, Chaos united, and skavens attacking. Play through to Storm of Chaos and beyond to where second edition starts in the aftermath of Storm of Chaos. Now with the End Time books saying screw that old Storm of Chaos and let's recon this Storyline. Now if Gameswork shop as bad as I've read I can easily see them saying we don't want FFG messing with it. So here this company that laid the foundation to start heading into Storm of chaos and told that whole storyline just got fragged. Then said company hears the new storyline (with ending) and knows that no adventure groups is going go on that run. So now what else to do but stop the line and GWS blow its wad on its game.

Just a thought.

That's possible. Another possibility is that GW informed FFG about their plans for End Times, and FFG decided the IP was too unstable to continue WFRP development until the dust had settled. Considering that Creative Assembly just announced Total War: Warhammer (which is set pre-SoC) it doesn't appear that GW will be shoehorning all their licensees into the rumored WFB9e "bubble-verse" setting.

WFRP3 was stopped when Jay had a heart attack and nobody else in the company felt it important to continue the line. FFG killed a 25 year old successful rpg franchise in 2 years (and then drug out petty releases for 3 additional years). Now they are sitting on the license and nobody can make anything for it. Whomever is ultimately responsible (licensing? production? management?) for doing hates fans of WFRP or worse, doesn't give a crap about us.

547d2d5444c0bcd2d4391f2703f3bf3d.jpg

Edited by Emirikol

WFRP3 was stopped when Jay had a heart attack and nobody else in the company felt it important to continue the line. FFG killed a 25 year old successful rpg franchise in 2 years (and then drug out petty releases for 3 additional years). Now they are sitting on the license and nobody can make anything for it.

And probably won't. Can you imagine a new WFRP in "Regalia" or those (supposed) reality bubbles? That won't be Warhammer anymore.

"Regalia"...WTF are they smoking??

WFRP3 was stopped when Jay had a heart attack and nobody else in the company felt it important to continue the line. FFG killed a 25 year old successful rpg franchise in 2 years (and then drug out petty releases for 3 additional years). Now they are sitting on the license and nobody can make anything for it.

THIS!

Looking at the bright side, they have produced some of the best official adventures since years.

THIS!

Looking at the bright side, they have produced some of the best official adventures since years.

With all due respect, nothing will beat the classics of 1st and 2nd edition. The new Enemy Within may be good, but the old Enemy Within is king. ;)

If they do an Age of Sigmar rpg (and I hope they do) it's gonna be something weird.

Like Warhammer meets World of Synnibar, but better...

THIS!

With all due respect, nothing will beat the classics of 1st and 2nd edition. The new Enemy Within may be good, but the old Enemy Within is king. ;)

Except for what comes after PbtT, I would add ;)

What are you thinking when you say 2nd edition "classics"? I've played quite everything published for 2nd Ed but I would put none of those adventures in the podium. We enjoyed playing a lot, but I find those adventurers quite uninspired... Especially Paths...

THIS!

Except for what comes after PbtT, I would add ;)

What are you thinking when you say 2nd edition "classics"? I've played quite everything published for 2nd Ed but I would put none of those adventures in the podium. We enjoyed playing a lot, but I find those adventurers quite uninspired... Especially Paths...

I have a soft spot for the "Paths..." but only because it was the first campaign that I've ran as a GM. Unfortunately it was medicore. "The Thousand Thrones" is an absolute blast, a campaign on par with TEW in my opinion. "Terror in Talabheim" was also very good. Especially the guerilla war in the City of the Comet. "Lure of the Liche Lord" is also good, if you're looking for a dungeon crawl. All in all the 2nd edition had a few nice modules published.

Oh and "The Empire in Flames" sucks. Fortunately there's a fan made alternative that's very good.

Paths was also my first wfrp experience! And it way a good play... However reading through it I rarely felt that thrill I feel reading TEW, or TEW3rdEd or Horror at Hugeldal. My favourite module was Spires of Altdorf and the conclusion in Nuln.

Ttt: we stopped out of Wolfenburg since real life issues. I have very mixed feelings about TTT: it's a blasting idea but not well executed overall the chapters. Some were gorgeous (1st,altdorf's,villa Hann, sylvania) but the other were... meh (2nd, the theatre thing... They were absolutely out of theme and atmosphere: it is so evident that they were pushed in by force) . It is also heavily railroaded and the character of Karl could be a very problematic one.

Terror is another blasting start with a quite hurried conclusion in my opinion ... I stopped it, because of real life issues too, after the first rats invasion. Never figured out how to play and organize gaming session in that guerrilla environment without banalize gaming sessions with too much action and stealth vs perception rolls, or without recurring to "in game visual descriptions" like videogame cinematics. It could be an amazing videogame or novel situation but not the best to handle for roleplay...

Never read Lure so far.

Paths was also my first wfrp experience! And it way a good play... However reading through it I rarely felt that thrill I feel reading TEW, or TEW3rdEd or Horror at Hugeldal. My favourite module was Spires of Altdorf and the conclusion in Nuln.

Ttt: we stopped out of Wolfenburg since real life issues. I have very mixed feelings about TTT: it's a blasting idea but not well executed overall the chapters. Some were gorgeous (1st,altdorf's,villa Hann, sylvania) but the other were... meh (2nd, the theatre thing... They were absolutely out of theme and atmosphere: it is so evident that they were pushed in by force) . It is also heavily railroaded and the character of Karl could be a very problematic one.

Terror is another blasting start with a quite hurried conclusion in my opinion ... I stopped it, because of real life issues too, after the first rats invasion. Never figured out how to play and organize gaming session in that guerrilla environment without banalize gaming sessions with too much action and stealth vs perception rolls, or without recurring to "in game visual descriptions" like videogame cinematics. It could be an amazing videogame or novel situation but not the best to handle for roleplay...

Never read Lure so far.

I've also like Spires a lot, but Nuln is definetly my favorite part. it was because of that book that I've decided to place almost all of my adventures in this city. My Empire army is also painted in the colors of Nuln.

TTT is... good. Even very good IMO. However the "many authors" syndrome is showing (one of them is Nathan Long, who worked for Black Library btw). Some adventures are great, like the one in Marienburg and Wolfenburg. Others, like the end of the campaign were poorly written and rushed. The difficulty factor was insane and one of my players had 10 different characters killed. Remember that TTT istelf has 9 chapters... I disagree with the railroading. I remember that my players missed a lot of stuff, even skipped the (almost) entire Sylvania chapter and still managed to finish the game. That's what I like about it. Paths were linear as hell on the other hand.

Terror was good and I initially had problems with the Guerilla part, but fortunately consluted this with my friend who taught me to GM in the first place and found a solution. I've essentially made it very cinematic and intense. Less rolling, more talking from my players and myself. It was cool.

Lure is nice, altough hard as hell in places. A lot of posion-related deaths can occur during its playthrough. Ushabti are also burly and dangerous, even for buffed up PC's. It's on par with Karak Azagal, altough the latter is not an adventure per se, just a description of various dungeons (and dragons).

Out of curiosity: where can I find this Horror at Hugeldal adventure? Never heard of it.

Out of curiosity: where can I find this Horror at Hugeldal adventure? Never heard of it.

It's the adventure in the Signs Of Faith box if I'm not mistaken.

Yes it is.
After preparing I realized that the investigation part is too quick if the players realize too soon they have to go to shake the doktor. But playing was another thing: it's gorgeous! I've toned down the rumors about the doctor and made the surviving bandits seeking for revenge.
Much fun indeed!

Another wonderful adventure is Witch's song.
And of course the new TEW.

Yes paths was linear but not railroaded: the PCs had not to fall in love with the charmy child in order for the adventure to work at best, nor they have to disguise them as actors in order to play a chapter. Karl was found, then stolen, the re-found then he escapes. In addition the whole Sylvania trip is a massive wrong herring to the plot. There were so many script-based events and plot turns that I have thrown the book to the pavement several times. As you said: way too many authors... And it's a pity because there are several shiny ideas in this campaign!
I really ated wolfenburg chapter: it is so out of the atmosphere and has a really wasted setting: a chaos ravaged city!
The only thing I liked in that chapter was what I put in it. ;) A visit to the chaos warped court of the Elector.

The trip to Sylvania could be the best part of the adventure IMHO: the da Vinci code thing is a bit convoluted but the atmosphere is amazing. The Morrite monastery, the wedding...
Highway to Hellfurt and the Hunger wood from TTT by Liberfanatica staff enrich it even more!

EDITED: sloppy grammar

Edited by GRAAK

Yes it is.

After preparing I realized that the investigation part is too quick if the players realize too soon they have to go to shake the doktor. But playing was another thing: it's gorgeous! I've toned down the rumors about the doctor and made the surviving bandits seeking for revenge.

Much fun indeed!

Another wonderful adventure is Witch's song.

And of course the new TEW.

Yes paths was linear but not railroaded: the PCs had not to fall in love with the charmy child in order for the adventure to work at best, nor they have to disguise them as actors in order to play a chapter. Karl was found, then stolen, the re-found then he escapes. In addition the whole Sylvania trip is a massive wrong herring to the plot. There were so many script-based events and plot turns that I have thrown the book to the pavement several times. As you said: way too many authors... And it's a pity because there are several shiny ideas in this campaign!

I really ated wolfenburg chapter: it is so out of the atmosphere and has a really wasted setting: a chaos ravaged city!

The only thing I liked in that chapter was what I put in it. ;) A visit to the chaos warped court of the Elector.

The trip to Sylvania could be the best part of the adventure IMHO: the da Vinci code thing is a bit convoluted but the atmosphere is amazing. The Morrite monastery, the wedding...

Highway to Hellfurt and the Hunger wood from TTT by Liberfanatica staff enrich it even more!

EDITED: sloppy grammar

Heh actually I liked the Wolfenburg part a lot. It showed just how dangerous Chaos can be and what it'll do to the Old World, unless it is stopped.

TTT was a very cinematic campaign. That means it was more akin to a interactive movie than an RPG. Karl was a MASSIVE Deus Ex machina, but in a good way I think. I like his part in TTT. Villa Han gives me the creeps to this very day.

Also my players found the hidden Skaven Assassin's lair and got butchered by him and his Gutter Runners. To this day I'm baffled by it.

We plan to start The THousand Thrones this autumn. At present we are trying out a few new players using D&D 5e with the absolute worst adventure of all time Princess SuckCrappyLips. I can't think of any other adventure I've ever prepped, in 30+ years of GMing, that has been as fakkan terrible as this one. Just a heads up for y'all if you're doing a foray into the worlds most cliche, win-button, oppsoite-of-grim-and-gritty RPG.

Anyways, as we move into TTT in the fall, I anticipate continuing to use the WFRP3 rule-set. We've done a few tailor things that keep the game moving at a scorching hot pace: a) 1 defense always active without recharge..so no tracking, b) no fortune characteristic dice bonus for combat, c) no talent socketing..take what you want.

We plan to start The THousand Thrones this autumn. At present we are trying out a few new players using D&D 5e with the absolute worst adventure of all time Princess SuckCrappyLips. I can't think of any other adventure I've ever prepped, in 30+ years of GMing, that has been as fakkan terrible as this one. Just a heads up for y'all if you're doing a foray into the worlds most cliche, win-button, oppsoite-of-grim-and-gritty RPG.

Anyways, as we move into TTT in the fall, I anticipate continuing to use the WFRP3 rule-set. We've done a few tailor things that keep the game moving at a scorching hot pace: a) 1 defense always active without recharge..so no tracking, b) no fortune characteristic dice bonus for combat, c) no talent socketing..take what you want.

You'll be using thye 3rd edition for TTT? Is there some document for converting it to 3rd? Word of advice: TTT is **** hard and very complex. I suggest switching to 2nd edition. ;)

I ran my group through Thousand Thrones as well, using 3rd edition. Of course skipped the "chicken hunt" and revised lots of things, using later chapters selectively.

The play logs are on this board:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/63407-the-crusade-of-the-child-my-1000-thrones/

I created various 3rd edition bits and my own backstory about Karl, a "Karl, Light of Your Life" card for those affected by him making it not all sucky etc.

I ran my group through Thousand Thrones as well, using 3rd edition. Of course skipped the "chicken hunt" and revised lots of things, using later chapters selectively.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/63407-the-crusade-of-the-child-my-1000-thrones/

I created various 3rd edition bits and my own backstory about Karl, a "Karl, Light of Your Life" card for those affected by him making it not all sucky etc.

I actually rather liked the chicken hunt. Mainly because of the :"oh s****" moment with the Blood Dragon. My players almost crapped their pants. :P

I actually rather liked the chicken hunt. Mainly because of the :"oh s****" moment with the Blood Dragon. My players almost crapped their pants. :P

+1 though it was more how annoyed my players were when they found it out, I'll never forget the reaction of my friend to that, he was going crazy but he did it so in character and so animated (he does have a honours degree in performing Arts) the whole group of us were laughing our arses off.

The Thousand Thrones campaign was also what made me realise the Death Magic spell Limb Wither was grossly over powered in 2nd Edition, low CV, No Save, one limb becomes instantly useless... Lots of Chase scenes and just opponents falling on there face before being beaten upside the head by the wizards allies who wait poised ready with clubs at the forefront becomes old quickly!

My main issue with chicken hunt is that it's only at the end it connects to overall plot and even then in way not apparent later.

You are in hot pursuit of an important plot macguffin (Karl) and you get coerced in heavy-handed way into a side story that on surface is not worth your time nor "engaging" in the same way the whole Karl thing is. It's better as a "pre start of adventure" story , while on the way to Marienburg or such, so that the end information later turns out to be useful.

My main issue with chicken hunt is that it's only at the end it connects to overall plot and even then in way not apparent later.

You are in hot pursuit of an important plot macguffin (Karl) and you get coerced in heavy-handed way into a side story that on surface is not worth your time nor "engaging" in the same way the whole Karl thing is. It's better as a "pre start of adventure" story , while on the way to Marienburg or such, so that the end information later turns out to be useful.

Well it does work like a "stress-release" kinda chapter. It does not connect with the whole Karl plot (in fact the Blood Dragon in question returns on the very end of the game, and only in one instance) but it did wonders for my stressed out players, who just couldn't catch a break from chasing this **** kid. ;)

Also what about the Limb Wither spell? I think it's rather high level and if your players abuse it, make sure that Tzeentch will bite them in their asses for it. ;) Not to mention that the enemy can use it as well... ;)

Well it does work like a "stress-release" kinda chapter. It does not connect with the whole Karl plot (in fact the Blood Dragon in question returns on the very end of the game, and only in one instance) but it did wonders for my stressed out players, who just couldn't catch a break from chasing this **** kid. ;)

Chapter 2 is a nice diversion from the main plot, it's just that the timing wasn't ideal IMO. The PC's hadn't really sunken their teeth into the crusade/Karl plot yet - would've worked better as Chapter 3 or 4 IMO.

Also what about the Limb Wither spell? I think it's rather high level and if your players abuse it, make sure that Tzeentch will bite them in their asses for it. ;) Not to mention that the enemy can use it as well... ;)

If my memory serves it was CN9 so easily achievable by a journeyman that channels before hand. Now obviously they need to level that far but I fill out any campaign with lots of filler quests appropriate to the region because I find it distracts from the main plot enough to stop my characters feeling like they are on a rail road. Now from memory in the thousand thrones it started to become a problem around the chapter with the play and then would have been hugely problematic in Altdorf afterwards, though I can't remember exactly what Chapter this was. As an aside anyone else notice how devastating those nurgle hornets are outside the Villa, they were death on toast!

If my memory serves it was CN9 so easily achievable by a journeyman that channels before hand. Now obviously they need to level that far but I fill out any campaign with lots of filler quests appropriate to the region because I find it distracts from the main plot enough to stop my characters feeling like they are on a rail road. Now from memory in the thousand thrones it started to become a problem around the chapter with the play and then would have been hugely problematic in Altdorf afterwards, though I can't remember exactly what Chapter this was. As an aside anyone else notice how devastating those nurgle hornets are outside the Villa, they were death on toast!

Nurgle's Hornets weren't encountered by my PC's interestingly. They've still got owned by the horde of Nurglings from the pond and later some of them got whacked by cultists emerging from the underground temple in the maze (it was awesomely described, and that fleshy entrance... Brrr..). Altdorf chapter was before the one in Wolfenburg, when the play takes place. Interestingly it was written byt Nathan Long, one of the authors who wrote a couple of Gotrek and Felix books, as well as Ulrika the Vampire. It was very good IMO, with the heretic-killing vigilante, little emphasis on combat, infiltration of the Temple of Sigmar and the awesome chase above the streets of Altdorf using the cut outs of different rooftops. I loved that chapter. The weakest one was the last, as it was a literal dungeon crawl and a bad one at that. The ammount of mutations the PC's were subjected to was riddicolous. One of my players became a bloody skeleton with a rat's head and the eyes of a fly... during a single combat, as each time any PC got wounded in those caves he had to make a hard WP or T test or grab a mutation. Nuts!

Thanks for clarifying, its been years since we played (it was a few months following its release) the campaign. Personally I found chapter 8 to be the weakest it was essentially a travelling to Kislev chapter and was pretty boring and would have required immense amounts of additional material from me before I would actually play it but as things happened we didn't get that far, my party got fed up and half of them saw though Karl's mutation from the start, I cannot remember how or why it happened but they Killed Karl, the real one and chased down the fake ones as well just to make sure way before we got there which was a relief as I wasn't looking forwards to that big dungeon either, Dungeons have never worked in Wfrp beyond the scope of a large house because combat's so deadly the players should have the chance of being able to avoid it realistically most of the time, that dungeon was not one where that would have been possible so it would have gotten dull quickly. Even the fantastic Dungeon in Lure of the Liche Lord had myself (DM) and my players somewhat fed up with combat by the end of it, so much so I let them avoid the final confrontation with the Liche allowing them to negotiate favours with him, now that Dungeon was wonderful though being as it was loaded with information, traps and overall pretty light on combat but hell was it deadly.

Anyway back on topic my personal favourite chapter was number 7 but I felt that the writer was trying to relay far too much information in far too small a amount of space and I also feel the expansion material for this later released by Libra Fantatica goes a long way to staggering this information as well as solidifying it in one place for the DM. Honestly though overall I prefer Warhammer fantasy at early 3rd career of development at the top end because I find it becomes silly at higher levels of play and that the RPG engines (Mechanically 2nd or 3rd, not knowledgeable enough about 1st to make an informed opinion) are simply not designed to handle Characters of that ability level. Also while I love the 3rd edition dice system, I feel that it should have been brought in for Starwars instead and instead a improved version of the 2nd edition system should have been used instead for WFRP, this is for multiple reasons; The amount of content already in existence that could be used would have allowed the writers to explore new areas of the World rather than going back over previously covered ground (in less detail as it turned out); Secondly while the 2nd edition rules were far from perfect, the big issues could have been fixed within that system using a lot of the same mechanics found in Dark Heresy (1st & 2nd edition) allowing again for a far more polished rule system rather than a new system with its own massive flaws, especially when the cost of that system is entered into the equation (its the most expensive RPG I've ever owned).

Anyway off topic rants aside (because I'm pissed with how WFRP has been treated by FFG, though not even close to how strongly I feel about what's just happened to Warhammer) I'm not surprised Nathan Long wrote that chapter because you can see Ulrika and her sire in those Lahamin's clearly, I've always thought that's who they were based on, but not actually used because of it causing issues with there and his narrative.