Parrying and stacking bonuses

By 531st, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

We have an assault marine that maxes out his WS (surprise-surprise) and this guy has already quite a powerful stack on 3rd rank which includes 60 WS, Hatred, Hunter of aliens, Master-crafted weapon, Oath of knowelege etc. Which already bumps him up to 100+ WS. Its not too surprising that assault marine can hit stuff reliably but this also kind of making him immune to melee hits. Parrying on this level allows for 100% chance to negate multiple hits depending on weapons/other bonuses. How does that works with bigger foes? Is it ok that he is just immune to wraithglaive to the face, crushing claws and even tyranid biotitan hits? Because I've found no rules regarding parrying stuff that is bigger than you. Logic is logic ofc but whats the limit of parrying capability except reactions ofc? Our GM just made toughness/strength test or fly away and take falling damage

I thought that ASM that negates 3-13 hits, has 55% force field of storm shield, -10 to hit because of masking screen and 80% dodge chance if parry is not an option is a bit too extreme in this hit\evade mechanics. Yea, he is hard to hit and this is awright-ish but unless feinted he is "almost" completely immune to any monstrous/gargantuan creatures and walkers that dont usualy have tremendous WS to make quadrillions of attacks. And that is weird imo

Yea i know about hordes of tyranids swarming around monstrous creatures, eldar protecting their heroic wraithlords/wraithknights, heretics supporting corrupted dreadnoughts, lesser deamons following big one etc. But apart from hordes that can be slaughtered by anti-horde devastator with some frag ammo heavy bolter with storm of iron and maybe some psykers, there is absolutely nothing that can harm the ASM. He just runs around and teabags every single enemy waving hands and swinging thunderhammer

P.S. we use latest rules in DW/RT/DH/DH so we use Lightning attack=DoS attacks, Swift=DoS/2 attacks etc with limit of WS bonus so i guess making Lightning attack unparriable with 3 reactions needed is not an option

Edited by 531st

swinging thunderhammer

Thunderhammer is unwieldy, he really shouldn't parry with it (as long as he's no salamander at least).

Maybe your enemys can use the surroundings as an advantage. For example rough terrain might be a problem with feet of sm size, but not for a bio titan. On the other hand, an ASM might find a way around this problem... but maybe you get the point - adjust the circumstances. Another thing that works good with most ASM's is to lure them into traps. They always tend to rush forward ;)

Edited by Avdnm

you need to force him to burn out his reactions, then hit him again.

-Come in with a flamer then charge him with two guys.

-Give the enemy lightning attack/two weapon fighting

-Hit him with a haywire, then charge him with a demon

-Use the all out attack with fate point for the bad guys

-Bloodthirsters have an uparriable attack.

-Hit him with a haywire, then charge him with a demon

:D :D :D

Why not make it two bloodthirsters?!!?

What a Character can, and cannot parry is up to GM discretion.

Remember, parrying isn't a block, the character isn't stopping the attack dead, but directing it a few inches away from his body.

That said, I would not allow a character to parry a bio-titan's attacks. Generally speaking, anything hitting a character with a weapon that is literally twice the size of that character is pretty much overpowering any form of parrying. At least in my games.