Dark Heresy Digital Character App now available

By Tim Huckelbery, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Hi TomDeal, nice app you created. I bought it yesterday and like how it is build !

Now, there is one bug with the starting wounds in Home world Selection : "A feral world character starts with ..." for all homeworlds.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if a character has an aptitude X, and by selection its role (for example), this same aptitude is given, he should be able to choose a new one instead (at least, it works like that in Whiplash450's Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Character Creator .

Divination
Does the application of the effect "automatically" is a WIP ? I do not mind, but I didn't propperly realized I had to do it manually before writing this line and testing again. Maybe the "Important" notice about it should be in red ?

Reroll of characteristics

Can the One reroll allowed be written in read as well, or be less chatty ? Like a "popup" or something saying "You have one reroll.".

Do you think it would be a good idea to propose to choose between the old and new one if the new one is worst ?

Experience count:

Not a bug, but when training a characteristic, the "Add this to your Experience Sheet" should be available (as for Skills).

It should as well increase the value of the char., don't you think ?

You can add several times the same talent (quickdraw) even if you already payed for it (I could check "Add this to your Experience Sheet" several times).

Removing a talent (I think you have the same behaviour with skills) does not remove the experience entry (at least it should propose it ?). Removing the experience entry does not remove the talent (should propose as well).

I'll continue to use it and post my comments.

PS: Would be great if we could add some "extension" to it :D

Edited by devilredneck

Hi TomDeal, nice app you created. I bought it yesterday and like how it is build !

Now, there is one bug with the starting wounds in Home world Selection : "A feral world character starts with ..." for all homeworlds.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if a character has an aptitude X, and by selection its role (for example), this same aptitude is given, he should be able to choose a new one instead (at least, it works like that in Whiplash450's Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Character Creator .

Divination

Does the application of the effect "automatically" is a WIP ? I do not mind, but I didn't propperly realized I had to do it manually before writing this line and testing again. Maybe the "Important" notice about it should be in red ?

Can the One reroll allowed be written in read as well, or be less chatty ? Like a "popup" or something saying "You have one reroll.".

Do you think it would be a good idea to propose to choose between the old and new one if the new one is worst ?

Experience count:

Not a bug, but when training a characteristic, the "Add this to your Experience Sheet" should be available (as for Skills).

You can add several times the same talent (quickdraw) even if you already payed for it (I could check "Add this to your Experience Sheet" several times).

Removing a talent (I think you have the same behaviour with skills) does not remove the experience entry (at least it should propose it ?). Removing the experience entry does not remove the talent (should propose as well).

I'll continue to use it and post my comments.

Yes, that will be fixed in the next content update, it is just a typo and should not affect character generation.

This is mentioned in the last screen of the character generation. Maybe we will add an automatic function for that later, but the reason we did not do that on the creator itself is this: After the character has been created, you are usually going to buy some skill advances and talents. If we force you to choose a new aptitude in the character generator, you would not be able to get the best combination of aptitudes for your talents. That's why we remind the player to edit aptitudes if they got doubles.

Divination

Due to the many different divination effects, automating them is quite hard. That is why we tell the user in the last step of the creator to apply the effect manually.

I think the re-roll text is placed in the right area. It is near the continue button, so the player sees it and it isn't really that chatty with about 2 lines on a mobile device.

The re-roll rule on page 31 in the sourcebook says "the player can re-roll any one characteristic value when generating his Acolyte's characteristics, but must keep the second result", that's why we don't have a chooser there

Experience count:

There was a discussion about why the characteristic advance does not automatically add the 5 points to the value. Basically, we don't want any changes in the app happening without an indication. If the number would change when selecting an advance, there should be a flash or some kind of UI element to underline the change. We haven't had time to implement such an element yet.

One of the main rules of the app is: Let the player do what he wants. There might be a reason to add a talent like quick draw multiple times, let it be a very small edge case, a house rule or a GM decision.

The xp remove is not automatic because of the same reason as with characteristic points. The change would not be noticed by the player, it is even on another tab. If you remove a talent, there is a good chance you remember why you did that and also remove the xp.

What do you mean? Since the app is ... an app, there is no chance of user added extensions because Apple and Google don't allow that.

What do you mean? Since the app is ... an app, there is no chance of user added extensions because Apple and Google don't allow that.

I mean creating some XML content (example, based on your internal format) to add new Homeworld, talents, mutations etc ... Could be added with a URL.

I know It could be a lot of work, but it's just an idea :) Maybe extensions is not the better term, "Mods" or "custom content" instead.

There was a discussion about why the characteristic advance does not automatically add the 5 points to the value. Basically, we don't want any changes in the app happening without an indication. If the number would change when selecting an advance, there should be a flash or some kind of UI element to underline the change. We haven't had time to implement such an element yet.

One of the main rules of the app is: Let the player do what he wants. There might be a reason to add a talent like quick draw multiple times, let it be a very small edge case, a house rule or a GM decision.

Ok, but I think it's easier to keep track of the source char value by automatically adding the 5 points. You have the manual +/- as well if necessary. But, I mean, it's just my opinion. As long as I know, it's fine.

Thanks for clarifying the main design rule.

The only downside is if I don't carefully know the character, I could spend more XP, or buy things that I already have. But as stated, the Character sheet here is an help and does not calculate everything for you (It's not a critic, don't misunderstand me :) )

Thanks for your explanations and I will look forward to the new additions :D

Edited by devilredneck

Btw, the characteristic advance "add to experience sheet" now appears ...

Maybe I was doing it not correctly ...

By the way 2, are you considering a PDF export ?

By the way 2, are you considering a PDF export ?

yes we do, though it will take a while. We need to get some other things out first :-)

Btw, the characteristic advance "add to experience sheet" now appears ...

Maybe I was doing it not correctly ...

It only appears when you change the advance level. But maybe there is a bug, I've added it to our checklist for the next update.
Edited by TomDeal

We need to get some other things out first :-)

Like the huge update for Enemies Without? ^_^

I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

The first rule of the fight club is you do not talk about... no that was something else. You'll have to follow our blog at blog.dizelabs.com, we are publishing a new hint every few days :)

DevBro Tom, I am recommending this to the rest of my group. :ph34r:

Also to echo the request for OW talents & equipment integration, or a bundle deal if it's a separate app. eventually . . .

DevBro Tom, I am recommending this to the rest of my group. :ph34r:

Also to echo the request for OW talents & equipment integration, or a bundle deal if it's a separate app. eventually . . .

Thanks :-) I've added one vote for OW as the next app on our internal list :-) We will try to find a solution for a bundle/special deal for users of the DH2 app.

BUGFIX RELEASE 1.2.2

Also, there is a small bugfix release available on our server. Just connect your device to the internet, start the app and let it run for a few minutes.

Changelog:

- fixed a bug where psychic powers would corrupt your experience sheet when using the auto add function

- fixed a bug where gender and age could not be changed in the character tab

Edited by TomDeal

This is mentioned in the last screen of the character generation. Maybe we will add an automatic function for that later, but the reason we did not do that on the creator itself is this: After the character has been created, you are usually going to buy some skill advances and talents. If we force you to choose a new aptitude in the character generator, you would not be able to get the best combination of aptitudes for your talents. That's why we remind the player to edit aptitudes if they got doubles.

The reminder is nice, but it'd be good to have a 'flag up' prompt along the lines of " you have the following duplicate aptitudes from character generation " to make it obvious for imbeciles like me....

One question - because I've not used it enough to be sure - is Random Background/Role chosen from any Background or Role, or is it a random-but-recommended one? And if not, is it worth having the option?

The reminder is nice, but it'd be good to have a 'flag up' prompt along the lines of " you have the following duplicate aptitudes from character generation " to make it obvious for imbeciles like me....

One question - because I've not used it enough to be sure - is Random Background/Role chosen from any Background or Role, or is it a random-but-recommended one? And if not, is it worth having the option?

With the next update, duplicate aptitudes will be marked red on your character sheet.

The random role does not take into account the recommended options (that's why we put it under the not recommended options). Adding a recommended-random roll is a nice idea though, we'll look into it.

Quick Note: The 1.2.0 iOS version is also out now. You should already have this version (if your iPhone/iPad is connected to the internet and you used the auto updating method), but at least the store version is now also almost up to date.

Edited by TomDeal

ANNOUNCEMENT of an announcement!

We are back from gamescom and a well deserved day off yesterday (my phone said we walked 22km in 10 hours, and had a three hour drive, too). Gamescom was a really interesting event, but even on the trade visitor day, it was crowded. For example, there was a 2 hour queue for "The Division". I passed on the division, but I played "Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr", the new game from Neocore, the guys behind the Van Helsing games. This game has a lot of potential, being a diablo-like action rpg in our beloved 40k universe :-) It just needs to be a lot faster, the inquisitor in the alpha demo was walking so slow...

Anyway, I'm sure you followed our "mysterious image" series on our blog at http://blog.dizelabs.com very closely, but no one has guessed the right answer yet. On Monday, we will release the next image, which is the first real hint on what is coming at the end of next week! I'm really excited about this!

Gniarf. I. Don't. Know. :unsure:

I want to echo the request for a PC program or App.

The windows store should be able to take care of distribution credit cards and all that noise.

I'd be all over this if that were the case.

Experience count:

The xp remove is not automatic because of the same reason as with characteristic points. The change would not be noticed by the player, it is even on another tab. If you remove a talent, there is a good chance you remember why you did that and also remove the xp.

Idea: Could you add a function that checks if the entire character is legal? This is probably a little tough, since it's possible to gain aptitudes later (e.g. if you become an Inquisitor) but excluding that corner case, that may be a nice feature. Maybe I miscalculated the exp cost for my last talent or forgot to remove it and then the app can say "Hey! You're 300 exp overbudget!"

I would love to have the ability to build the character and then click "Did I forget anything?"

:-D

Edited by Flail-Bot

Idea: Could you add a function that checks if the entire character is legal? This is probably a little tough, since it's possible to gain aptitudes later (e.g. if you become an Inquisitor) but excluding that corner case, that may be a nice feature. Maybe I miscalculated the exp cost for my last talent or forgot to remove it and then the app can say "Hey! You're 300 exp overbudget!"

I would love to have the ability to build the character and then click "Did I forget anything?"

:-D

It might be possible for the initial build phase of a character. At the moment, we are looking into "error states", when something in the app is clearly not allowed and should be changed. For example, the next content update will flag double aptitudes with a red color to easily identify the problem. There will also be a different tab-background color on tabs with problems. This could be also done for exp, since exp should not be able to go negative. For many other cases however, there are so many edge cases and special rules that we cannot use error state flagging.

however, there are so many edge cases and special rules that we cannot use error state flagging.

Yeah, that's not surprising. :-)

If you add weapon mods (which have a weight of "-" rather than "0") the encumbrance calculator starts returning a total character weight of "NaN".

If you add weapon mods (which have a weight of "-" rather than "0") the encumbrance calculator starts returning a total character weight of "NaN".

Thanks, I'll investigate this.

If I had to vote for a feature in particular ... I would love to have the PDF export :D

Is that ... orks / orkish ... in the new image background you posted ?

Nevermind. A book, someone in POV ... I don't know.

Edited by devilredneck

It's the image on page 27 of the rulebook. I tweaked the levels when the August 7th image came out. None of this really provides a clue as to what this is leading to.

So now there's going to be four more skulls, I guess? This tease is almost getting tedious instead of interesting - especially now that it's not for Enemies Without.

It's the image on page 27 of the rulebook. I tweaked the levels when the August 7th image came out. None of this really provides a clue as to what this is leading to.

So now there's going to be four more skulls, I guess? This tease is almost getting tedious instead of interesting - especially now that it's not for Enemies Without.

That is exactly why I did not add the missing information with a dark overlay :P

We will release another image tomorrow and reveal it next week completely, so it is not getting too tedious ;)

I can tell you one secret though, we will add the "Enemies Without" supplement to the app as soon as it hits the shelfs.

But don't get too excited and don't expect something unimaginable or jaw dropping. It will be something about the Dark Heresy Digital Character Sheet App. (And it won't be the announcement of the DH First Edition app, because we already announced that this will be the next app).

Edited by TomDeal

Ohhh. I have an idea. Will you be backed up by GW or FFG ? :)