Dark Heresy Digital Character App now available

By Tim Huckelbery, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Dang. 8€? Can I have a demo/lite version at least?

This information:

• comprehensive character generation analogous to the procedure illustrated in the Source Book including all optional rules
  • unlimited character slots for Dark Heresy Acolytes and Inquisitors
  • automated calculation of all skills including advancements and temporary effects
  • inventory system for all of the Acolyte's gear
  • a digital dice roll system including threshold calculation
  • and much more...

Should be in the App Store. I can only see that the app is a character sheet handler. No indication that there's inventory, rolling checks, etc. Is damage calculation supported? Can you define "and much more" more precisely please?

You single out the 10s digit of many stats for use as bonuses (ugly, but with historical precedence). Crushing Blow uses WS Bonus. Should this also not be singled out?

Toying around with the app. I mean I guess its fine, but the bulk of my players don't have apple devices to run it, and I don't really feel like tracking all my players stats in this manner on just my Ipad.

Would be cool if it could export into a printable format.

At least one minor bug (using the char gen option, it gave Weapon Training(Chain) to an Adeptus Administratum background), but there likely more; in essence it should always be double checked.

Feel free to IM me any bugs spotted and I can pass them to GW.

–Tim

Is this out for Android now? I assume so since I see it in the Play Store.

~ alemander

Looks like! Thanks for the spot.

Any chance we'll get a Windows version?

Hey, you're a funny guy.

I'm sorry, I am not trying to be dense, but apparently I missed the joke. I was being earnest. I think a digital sheet interface which calculates is great. You could use it to create, print off, and store characters and it'd save you time and look way better than an excel spreadsheet.

Maybe that's just me though.

No, it's a good question. A version that could run on a PC would indeed be useful. GM's could use it to generate NPCs as well. I'll ask on it.

—Tim

Hey, you're a funny guy.

It'd be funny if he asked for a Mac version. Windows makes sense.

The joke is that windows has no app support.

I know this because I am a windows phone haver.

The joke is that windows has no app support.

I know this because I am a windows phone haver.

Suddenly cps's constantly seething irritation starts to make sense.

Wouldn't it just be called a program on windows? Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have both itunes and google play apps on all my windows computers. I mean, yes it is not on the windows store app, but I mean I can just download it in either store and run it on anything...

Though I can understand the phone aspect particular.

Hello everyone,

I'm Thomas, developer at dizelabs and responsible for the "Dark Heresy: Digital Character Sheet" app. I'm sorry I did not write earlier here, but I had trouble getting my account approved (seems that the forum does not like our dizelabs.com mail address).

Anyway, lets hijack this post and talk about the app :-)

Is this out for Android now? I assume so since I see it in the Play Store.

~ alemander

Yes, the App is finally out for Android. Unfortunately we could not launch the Android version along with the iOS version due to problems with google. I'm currently writing a blog post about our horrible launch week, which should be finished around the weekend. Let's say Google and Apple do care a lot about intellectual property, and sometimes even a bit too much... :-)

The App is available on the Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dizelabs.dcsdh2

Toying around with the app. I mean I guess its fine, but the bulk of my players don't have apple devices to run it, and I don't really feel like tracking all my players stats in this manner on just my Ipad.

Would be cool if it could export into a printable format.

At least one minor bug (using the char gen option, it gave Weapon Training(Chain) to an Adeptus Administratum background), but there likely more; in essence it should always be double checked.

We are still thinking about how we could integrate a print option. The Weapon Training (Chain) slipped through the QA and tests, sorry. We check everything in three instances, but with hundreds of code-lines (skills, talents, homeworlds etc), there may be a few errors in the database. This particular error has been fixed in the new patch 1.0.1 (more on the patch later in this post).

Dang. 8€? Can I have a demo/lite version at least?

This information:

• comprehensive character generation analogous to the procedure illustrated in the Source Book including all optional rules
  • unlimited character slots for Dark Heresy Acolytes and Inquisitors
  • automated calculation of all skills including advancements and temporary effects
  • inventory system for all of the Acolyte's gear
  • a digital dice roll system including threshold calculation
  • and much more...

Should be in the App Store. I can only see that the app is a character sheet handler. No indication that there's inventory, rolling checks, etc. Is damage calculation supported? Can you define "and much more" more precisely please?

You single out the 10s digit of many stats for use as bonuses (ugly, but with historical precedence). Crushing Blow uses WS Bonus. Should this also not be singled out?

We will add videos for every main feature in the near future. I've added the list from our website on the store after reading this post, thanks :-) The new patch will also update the screenshots. If you think something is still missing on the store page, just mail me at [email protected], I'll add it immediately.

Actually, that is indeed a good question. Do you mean a windows phone / tablet version or a proper windows application? We plan to add a windows tablet version in a few weeks, after our new patch is out and we finished the Dark Heresy First Edition app. If there are enough requests for a windows application, we will try to provide it, too :-)

Patch 1.0.1

--------------

New Features:

• The Enemies Within supplement character creation options (new Homeworlds, Backgrounds and Roles)
  • Backup and restore your characters on your hard drive - also allows character exchanges between devices
  • A new internal update system that let us skip the app approval process from Apple and Google for small updates, which allows us to provide updates more often

We also added a lot of bugfixes and smaller changes.

The patch is currently in the Apple approval queue and as soon as it is done, we'll release it for iOS and Android. The full patch notes will be available on our blog at http://blog.dizelabs.com when the patch is live.

And, of course, the patch and the new content will be free for all customers.

Questions, Feedback?

If you've got any feedback, questions, feature requests or just want to talk about the app, I'll read this forum every day and you can also mail me at [email protected] or send me a tweet @dievo.

If you like the app, please rate and review it on the app stores. It is really important for us and helps other players to find the app. We also print out every review and put it on our office wall :-)

Thanks and have a nice day!

Thomas Diehl

DIZELABS - Daniel Zerner und Thomas Diehl GbR

www.dizelabs.com

Actually, that is indeed a good question. Do you mean a windows phone / tablet version or a proper windows application? We plan to add a windows tablet version in a few weeks, after our new patch is out and we finished the Dark Heresy First Edition app. If there are enough requests for a windows application, we will try to provide it, too :-)

I mean Windows on a PC, not a phone or tablet. I want this app on my computer, not my Smartphone.

I like the idea. We'll have to figure out how we can put the app into a windows application, which might be a bit tricky (because the framework we use is made primarily for mobile devices), but it should be doable. Another problem will be the distribution system, which is handled by Apple and Google on mobile devices. But for a native program, we will have to put a store up, handle credit card transactions etc.. We are a very small team, so it might take a while, but we will give it a try.

Can Windows 8 run things developed in the Windows Mobile environment? Like Chrome can run most (all?) things from the Google Play store.

Of course, some work would have be done reworking the interface, which is not optimized for mouse/keyboard interface.

Lastly, thanks for the reponse Thomas. Nice to see feedback is appreciated.

We are a very small team, so it might take a while, but we will give it a try.

Can Windows 8 run things developed in the Windows Mobile environment? Like Chrome can run most (all?) things from the Google Play store.

Of course, some work would have be done reworking the interface, which is not optimized for mouse/keyboard interface.

I agree with Flail-Bot, thanks for posting here Thomas. Devs being open, honest, and incorporating feedback into their products is exactly how you build a loyal customer base.

As the others stated, I would buy it via windows app store or just the program itself. I don';t have a windows phone but a Surface Pro 3. I can easily see it being useful on this thang.

I also got a surface pro and would like to see this thing coming to windows.

I would also like to see a print option, so you can print the character sheet and hand out, colour is nice, but a black white pint option would probably be needed.

Just a quick update: We are still waiting for Apple to review the 1.0.1 patch. It's been 10 days now since we uploaded the version to the review queue, really annoying. Good news for all Android users: The patch for the Android version will go live on Tuesday, because we don't want to wait any longer :-) I'll post the complete patch notes as soon as the patch is live.

We already started working on the 1.0.2 patch, which will be a bugfix and minor improvements patch. Since we are changing our update system with the 1.0.1 patch, we will be able to deliver the next patches in a much shorter timeframe.

EDIT: We are still finalizing our server related stuff. So the patch will be out tomorrow morning (which is 14 hours from now, at least at our office). We want to make sure there is enough time if we encounter any serious bugs. Should not happen, but always can happen.

Edited by TomDeal

Flail-Bot votes for export to pdf option! (black and white and color) (also still editable and not, which can be flagged with "houseruled" or whatever, so GMs know a Direct-From-The-App character is RAW-approved)

Version 1.0.1 released!

The easiest way to update to the new version is to connect your device to the internet, open the DHDCS 1.0 app and wait a few minutes. Then, after restarting the app, you should have a fourth button on the character selection named "backup/load", indicating that you successfully updated. Of course, you could also scroll down to the bottom of the overview tab, there is the version number.

If you update from the App stores, unfortunately you will also have to connect your device to the internet, because for a successful update, the app needs to check back to our server for a version check.

After you updated the app, I'd highly advise to backup your current characters. We don't think the new update breaks the app, but just in case and to be on the safe side, backup your characters and then download the save files to your computer's hard drive. This way, if anything breaks and the app cannot be restored, delete the app, reload it from the app store and restore your characters afterwards.

If you want to read more about our new update system and why it is a bit unusual, check out this blog post: http://blog.dizelabs.com/2015/06/04/dhdcs-version-1-0-1-released/

We will release an update every week from now on (we aim for a wednesday release) and upload a new version to the app stores every 3-4 weeks.

If you have any trouble with the update or the app in general, just get in touch with us, we will try our best to give you the best Dark Heresy experience possible :-)

Have a nice day!

Thomas

Changelog: DHDCS 1.0.1

• NEW: “Enemies Within” Character Creation options added
  • NEW: Export/import/backup your characters. Also trade them with your friends
  • NEW: New Update system for faster and easier app updates
  • bugfix: fixed wrong talent in Adeptus Administorum background
  • bugfix: changed STR to S in characteristics overview
  • bugfix: fixed iphone6 splash screen and icons
  • bugfix: fixed endless loading screen crash
  • bugfix: fixed character creation horizontal scrolling
  • bugfix: Character Creation white bar on Android devices
  • bugfix: added navigate and operate to skills on Character Creation

I mean Windows on a PC, not a phone or tablet. I want this app on my computer, not my Smartphone.

I like the idea. We'll have to figure out how we can put the app into a windows application, which might be a bit tricky (because the framework we use is made primarily for mobile devices), but it should be doable. Another problem will be the distribution system, which is handled by Apple and Google on mobile devices. But for a native program, we will have to put a store up, handle credit card transactions etc.. We are a very small team, so it might take a while, but we will give it a try.

If you put the app in the Windows store it would handle all of this for you. You can even make it a universal app so it would hit all three, desktops, tablets and phones. My vote would be for an app in the Windows store, I would definitely use it on my Surface Pro 3.