Pain suppressor and critical damage

By koldone, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

so I had a player take -10 critical damage and his head exploded...he says pain suppressor kicks in and he ignores this. Not really sure how pain suppressor would let you shrug off your head exploding.

The rule seems poorly worded to me. He claims we ignore all critical effects for 1d5 rounds so he fights on! So then in 1d5 rounds does he just die because well.....HIS HEAD EXPLODED!

I'm sure it mentions somewhere that critical hits that result in death are not covered by the pain suppressor, or you can tell him to stop being a **** and burn his fate point.

Pain suppressor ignores critical hits EFFECTS, like being stunned for 3 rounds, being unnable to use your arm (broken limb) etc. It does not ignore the critical hit itself, therefore if you lose a limb (like your head) you cannot use it anymore. And loosing your head, well, is an instant death.

In other word, death is not an effect of critical hits. You're -10 somewhere, you're dead. End of the story. Of course you can burn fate points to transform this into a serious injury (that probably will not allow you to fight anymore).

can anyone point to where this is in book? We can't find anything...

Well, I'm not sure if there is a particular point in the book that distinguishes between critical hits effects like losing limps compared to other effects. However, common sense should always apply. If he wants to use pain supressants when his head explodes, I'd just let him walk around for 1d10 rounds like Störtebeker or a chicken. Not like that's gonna help him much, but if he really wants to...

The difference between the critical effects and death is described , for example, under Duty Unto Death talent (Core Rulebook, p.116) .

The problem is the wording is SO BAD.

pg 162 - each does can be used to ignore Critical Effects for 1d10 rounds

pg252+ - Critical Effects Tables

p 262 - Death is always the result of a critical damage effect...

Makes it all very confusing so if a character has -10 and uses pain suppressor do we just not consult the Critical Effects table? Or do the effects suppressors ignore mean things like a hand or leg is useless????

Yes, the wording is bad - so normal logic applies here. Pain Supressants let you ignore critical effects except the little things like loosing parts of your body! If you have to argue about this with your players, I really don't know what to think anymore. I mean, yes, if I get find bad worded rule I'd come up with it for a joke, but that's it. Like Brother Anselm already said, tell your player to stop beeing a whiny b**** and burn a fate! And if he doesn't stop arguing just throw an asteroid or something at him, to remind him to not **** with the GM(this is really important!!!).

The difference is Critical Effects, and Critical Damage.

When a character suffers 7 critical on the explosive table.

The Critical Effects of the attack are 1d10 rounds of being stunned, 1d10 levels of fatigue, and the test of shock.

The Critical Damage of the attack is the arm being blown off and blood loss.

Pain suppressants would allow you to ignore the stun effect, fatigue, and delay the test for shock for 1d10 rounds; but not your arm being blown off. Pain suppressors suppress pain, they don't instantly heal massive damage.

Similarly, when using fate points to heal, you heal the wounds you've taken, but all the effects and damage still apply for their normal duration.

In the above example, the character uses a fate point to heal 8 wounds, putting him at +1 wound; but he still suffers 1d10 rounds of stun, 1d10 levels of fatigue, must test for shock, starts bleeding, and loses his arm.

In the above example, the character uses a fate point to heal 8 wounds, putting him at +1 wound; but he still suffers 1d10 rounds of stun, 1d10 levels of fatigue, must test for shock, starts bleeding, and loses his arm.

Fate doesn't heal critical damage.

You are absolutely correct. A Character cannot use Fate to repair or ignore the damage effects from Critical damage.

Even so, Fate points can be used to bring your Wounds back up from critical.

Your arm's still off though.