SirWilli's Workshop: Armada stuff

By SirWillibald, in Star Wars: Armada

See, I told you the fighter boxes were a bit small

:D

I don't know what's wrong but I can't seem to get the file to download correctly from your site. Every time I download it and try and open it it says that the file is damaged and can't be repaired.

Yes, touché. :unsure:

I don't know what's wrong but I can't seem to get the file to download correctly from your site. Every time I download it and try and open it it says that the file is damaged and can't be repaired.

Man, this really sucks. Every now and then somebody has a problem with a file that everybody else (including me) can download without problems. I have no idea what's going on there! Any pdf experts out there with hints?

Anybody else having problems?

To solve your problem:

1. Download only one file at a time and don't open it in your browser but save it to your hard drive. Then open with Adobe Reader.

2. If it still doesn't work, send me a PM, I'll give you a dropboxlink.

Yes, touché. :unsure:

Man, this really sucks. Every now and then somebody has a problem with a file that everybody else (including me) can download without problems. I have no idea what's going on there! Any pdf experts out there with hints?

Anybody else having problems?

To solve your problem:

1. Download only one file at a time and don't open it in your browser but save it to your hard drive. Then open with Adobe Reader.

2. If it still doesn't work, send me a PM, I'll give you a dropboxlink.

I tried downloading it again and it decided to work this time. I had been opening them with adobe reader before... I honestly don't know what was going on, thanks for the advice though.

Awesome work BTW. I will be assembling the last 4 that I need tonight! 2 Gladiators and 2 Mk IIs.

Thank you so much! Now my Gladiators have the protection they need and they no longer have to sit on top of each other looking jealously at the Victory-class ships in their neat boxes.

Thanks, the Glad boxes finished my fleet too !

Forever grateful, SirWilli*

*Or until my next victory in SW:A, whichever comes first :D

Can I ask how many cards fit inside the ship boxes? Is it the two cards that come with each ship listed?

Can I ask how many cards fit inside the ship boxes? Is it the two cards that come with each ship listed?

It depends on the size of the version you print out. I'm pretty sure that even the smallest thickness can hold cards for more than one copy of each ship.

Just submitted the files to Office Depot for printing. What a nightmare for me.

Took me nearly all evening to remove pages I didn't need* and get them uploaded due to mistakingly converting to .oxps format initially and having trouble getting it back to PDF properly. I didn't have a print to PDF function on this laptop, so I printed to .oxps. Then, I realized Office Depot did not accept .oxps. So I found a website that would let me convert .oxps to PDF. I did, and I could view the PDF files on my laptop just fine, but when uploaded to Office Depot, they came up blank. Back to square one. After a lot of digging, I found a free, malware free, program that allows me to print to PDF. Except when I used it to print from the Windows 8.1 reader, all the new PDFs had the file squeezed up in the corner of the page at less than 25% scale. I had to open each file with the specific .xps reader, print to PDF from there.

And it took so long because I am printing for 1 of every Wave 1 expansion (including the ships from the core), a second Gladiator and Assault Frigate Mk II, and then 3 total of each squadron pack (including 11 size 6 carriers). Plus one or two of every card box, usually at the largest size. 116 pages total! I have A LOT OF CUTTING AND GLUING to do.

*Before you ask, there isn't anything you can really do to make this easier unless you want to offer each individual page as its own PDF :D . I'm totally not asking you to do this.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

Squadron boxes. I hate them. I love them when they are done. I hate them right now.

I have never done anything like this. I am horrible at arts and crafts type stuff but I figured for the cost of 110lb paper and the ink what do I have to loose. I started assembeling these and they look great and they re extremely easy to put together. Thank you so much for these. You obviously put a yon of effort into this.

If you are on the fence about making these hangard I say do it.

Squadron boxes. I hate them. I love them when they are done. I hate them right now.

;)

Stay focused, you will be extremly self-satisfied when you're done and look at your wall of squadrons.

And if you really can't stand the squad boxes anymore, go build 3-5 CardHolders and afterwards the squad hangars will feel like vacation. :)

Edited by SirWillibald

One other thing concerning your efforts to have the hangars printed.

Isn't there a freeware out there that can delete and merge pdf pages? I use Acrobat, it's a breeze, but perhaps anybody else knows of a freeware variant that's easy to use. Let me know, I'll add it to my FAQ page.

Isn't there a freeware out there that can delete and merge pdf pages? I use Acrobat, it's a breeze, but perhaps anybody else knows of a freeware variant that's easy to use. Let me know, I'll add it to my FAQ page.

I was having trouble finding freeware that handled PDF files that also didn't include malware. I found a website that does it for you. Unfortunately they have a limit on how many files or the size, but my problem was that the PDFs they gave me didn't want to work on the upload service I was using to print. I could view them perfectly fine, but they showed up blank in the preview for the printing service.

The easiest thing I found was use a "print to PDF" driver and select the pages you want printed. The one I found that works is doPDF. You have to deal with little ads for their pay software that has more features, but that only show up on the window for you to verify the settings before printing.

http://www.dopdf.com/

I've been working on some software to do this. Its a bit rough & ready ATM but it does extract pages from PDFs (can't remember if I have the merge working yet). When I get time I'll get it to a releasable state and make it freely available for the sanity of Armada community.

BTW, I have a terrible memory, so if you don't hear anything on this after a couple of weeks just remind me ;)

I guess it's good that there's about zero chance that we meet in real life right now... ;)

Stay focused, you will be extremly self-satisfied when you're done and look at your wall of squadrons.

And if you really can't stand the squad boxes anymore, go build 3-5 CardHolders and afterwards the squad hangars will feel like vacation. :)

If by card holders you mean the "command bridge" type things, I'm actually not doing any. Personal taste, but I prefer to have everything flat on the table. I did do the dice box and the damage deck with the stand. I still have to do:

-Boxes for all cards except 1 damage deck (I have 2)

-Gear boxes and hangars for 1 of each core set ship

-58 squadron boxes (2 cores and 6 squadron packs is 68 squadrons, 10 boxes done)

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

Having 10 squadron boxes already, I know how great they are. I mostly hate cutting them. I only have scissors.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

I guess it's good that there's about zero chance that we meet in real life right now... ;)

If by card holders you mean the "command bridge" type things, I'm actually not doing any. Personal taste, but I prefer to have everything flat on the table. I did do the dice box and the damage deck with the stand. I still have to do:

-58 squadron boxes (2 cores and 6 squadron packs is 68 squadrons, 10 boxes done)

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

Having 10 squadron boxes already, I know how great they are. I mostly hate cutting them. I only have scissors.

It sounds like it would be worth investing in a cutting board. Something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Fiskars-Classic-Rotary-Paper-Trimmer/dp/B000YAJHVE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1436971007&sr=8-10&keywords=fiskars+cutting+board My wife has one because does a lot of crafts, and it's made doing the boxes much, much easier.

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

It sounds like it would be worth investing in a cutting board. Something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Fiskars-Classic-Rotary-Paper-Trimmer/dp/B000YAJHVE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1436971007&sr=8-10&keywords=fiskars+cutting+board My wife has one because does a lot of crafts, and it's made doing the boxes much, much easier.

Thought about it. Decided I wouldn't use it after I was done with the boxes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I still have to do:

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

And if I can make a wish:

Please take a nice photo once your vast collection is completely boxed, that has to look awesome!

I still have to do:

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

Believe it or not and join the club: I use only scissors, too. For all prototypes and for all final boxes. My wife owns the wrong robocutter (no Silhouette), it can't cut around printed borders. I only use her paper trimmer for scoring, which helps a lot, because you get really nice and easy folds.

Please take a nice photo once your vast collection is completely boxed, that has to look awesome!

Will do!

I still have to do:

-11 size 6 carrier boxes

Believe it or not and join the club: I use only scissors, too. For all prototypes and for all final boxes. My wife owns the wrong robocutter (no Silhouette), it can't cut around printed borders. I only use her paper trimmer for scoring, which helps a lot, because you get really nice and easy folds.

Grab an exacto knife, it makes cutting a lot easier and faster, and allows you to score the lines by just lightly running the blade over the paper. Plus, they are dirt cheap.

I use CutePDF to print specific PDF pages. It acts as a printer, but saves the print as a PDF. So I open the big PDF in Acrobat Reader, find the pages I want, print just those pages to CutePDF and name them. Then I can upload the newly created PDF to my favorite printer (UPS Store at the moment).

D'oh!

Edited by DarthSidious