Some spells for Amber Wizards

By Valhall Awaits Me, in WFRP House Rules

I need some feedback regarding the spells I've made for Amber Wizards. Do they look balanced?

hwh7o4.png

5fkx7p.png

2ho8woy.png

2r3xuab.png

23a1b8.png

2cwpgyr.png

1zcmn81.png

2e0mheg.png

11hf4i8.png

34ec9e1.png

2jfwpid.png

68h4cx.png

Fun cards. Nothing stands out as being obviously broken (but I haven't played an Amber Wizard and don't have my cards handy to compare to these spells, so I could be missing some subtle power issues). A few observations and suggestions:

Your strength-buffing cards are better than the average buff card. I tend to think that’s a good thing, because most of the buff effects in the game seem too weak in my opinion. There’s so many cards that are basically spend your action to add 1 fortune die to a roll, which is almost never worth the caster forgoing their own aggressive action. In this case though, your spell is adding 1 to 4 blue dice, plus the side benefits of bonus damage and carrying capacity that come from a strength boost. Again, I don’t actually think this is broken or problematic, necessarily, since the cards it’s outperforming are generally underpowered… but it is, on paper, far enough above the curve that it’s worth keeping an eye on. Clearly, somebody at FFG thinks +1 white die is powerful enough to warrant spending (1 XP and) your action for the turn, so it’s not impossible that these sorts of cards are more potent than I realize. (But I doubt it.)

As written, the Bear cards can be used to actually lower the Strength of certain really large and powerful monsters… that’s not necessarily a problem, but it is an interesting application. When using the red side against a really high-Strength monster like a Dragon you would actually want to roll a Chaos Star, and that's a little odd. Doubt it's enough of a problem to justify any change, but it's something to keep an eye on.
(A few typo and editing remarks on this card: “Strenght” should be “Strength”. “Yoourself” should be “yourself”. If there’s a way to reword the boon line of brown bear so that it doesn’t look like two different boon lines at first glance, that might be aid comprehension in play.)

Primal Fury mentions nothing about duration. You might want to add “while this spell is recharging” to the “effect”-line and/or the triple-success line. It’s implied by the boon-lines on the card, but could be clearer.

Reflexes of the Fly could also use either a duration statement on the comet-line, or just the inclusion of the words “an additional” before the +1 defence. As written, I could just see a power-gamer at the table trying to argue that it means a permanent bonus from the comet.

I guess I’d encourage you to just generally double-check your effects lines and include durations where appropriate on all the cards, such as any time you’re applying a modifier or a condition card.

Along those lines, I would recommend adding the “Ongoing” Trait to all the buff spells that are meant to last as long as they’re recharging — the official products aren’t consistent about it, but having that Trait can help prevent a few loopholes and minimize confusion.

My gut instinct is that Swarm of Insects is a little under-powered for Rank 3, especially on the green side. I don’t think I’d want to spend 7 power and risk a 23% chance of a miscast for the goal of just adding 1 black die to a single target. As a Rank 3 spell it should probably be superior to Guarded Position, and I don't feel the green side currently is.

I have one minor concern about Voice of the Master. The double-bane line is actually beneficial if you use it against a predator, guard dog, or other foe. On a success I make the wolf leave without attacking, and even if I really bomb out the roll the sluggishness result will help me in the fight I failed to avoid. So I’d recommend changing that line to “Target gains either the Sluggish or Energized Condition (GM’s choice).” Something along those lines, any way, so that the double-bane result is always a penalty and never a benefit to the caster. (This is kind of like the thing I observed about Brown Bear's Strength working to debuff dragons, except here it's not situationally restricted to use against high-STR monsters and hoping for a chaos star, so it's something a player might be able to more readily abuse.)

The only thing that strikes me as a bit powerful is the first one. Increasing Str to 5/6 is quite high, especially as a Rank 2 spell. Coupled with the chance to get an extra action on a comet (red side), and the possibility to increase duration quite significantly with boons it seems like a powerful spell. The chaos star effect is not that dangerous either, so that does not balance the power of the spell.

I like the concept, but would probably have the spell increase Str by 1 if you want to keep it at rank 2, or increase the spell rank to 3 and keep it as it is. You could make it the rank 3 and lower Swarm of Insects to rank 2 (and maybe decrease the power cost of the Swarm spell a bit as well).

The others seem great. I really like Nightingale Song. :)

great thoughts guys, thanks! I'll fix the spelling mistakes and sort out duration periods.. Increasing Bear's Strength Rank to 3 seems a good idea. Also, I'll add 'Ally within close range' so it will sort out using it as a debuff. But now that you mention it, I think of making another spell, decreasing Beast strength. I could make swarm rank 2, and decrease difficulty on green side to 1 purple and 2 black, and lowering required power to 5? The red side is more powerfull, so maybe power 6?

Voice of the Master - adding 'Target gains either the Sluggish or Energized Condition (GM’s choice)' makes a lot of sense, thanks.

General idea was to make spells a lot better option on red side, where an Amber Wizards supposed to be more often.

Nice concepts.

In addition to observations above:

Voice of the Master - I would make having the beast controlled undertake an action constitute the controller's action (rather like a Ratcatcher with their dog, you don't get two actions), and if making them undertake an unnatural action to them require the caster suffer 1 stress each time that action is performed and if the creature rolls a Chaos Star on their action the spell ends. I would make the banes that the caster gets the Sluggish condition.

Thematically I would make Reflexes of the Fly another creature (Rabbit or such) just because flies are Nurgle's theme. Of course a natural fly is a natural fly but just my gut.

Nice concepts.

In addition to observations above:

Voice of the Master - I would make having the beast controlled undertake an action constitute the controller's action (rather like a Ratcatcher with their dog, you don't get two actions), and if making them undertake an unnatural action to them require the caster suffer 1 stress each time that action is performed and if the creature rolls a Chaos Star on their action the spell ends. I would make the banes that the caster gets the Sluggish condition.

Thematically I would make Reflexes of the Fly another creature (Rabbit or such) just because flies are Nurgle's theme. Of course a natural fly is a natural fly but just my gut.

thanks, changed that spell to Reflexes of the Hare. Making it like Ratcatcher with his dog, would make it a little underpowered

I got some more spells, if you guys could have a look at them as well, I'd appreciate it a lot

w1d9jk.png 2n87ark.png

4uf7n9.png fbm0qt.png

ifcp5z.png 34ht649.png

jfuezd.png 2u5xkox.png

2hs9buc.png vp9r2w.png

24cil2g.png f9h9n9.png