What cards would you like to see reprinted?

By guitalex2008, in UFS General Discussion

How about Terrible Discovery?

Or Ring Veteran? (it was a 1 for 1 and balanced as hell)

MegaGeese said:

ROTBI said:

MegaGeese said:

I notice the end of Shinji's post has...nothing in it =/

Things I'd love to see reprinted:

Vast Resources
Vanity
Misdirection (whoever mentioned this earlier is awesome)
Kunai (different symbols, tho)
Bat Spin
Devil Reverse
Unorthodox Style (c'mon, think about how hard it is to get momentum)
Forgotten Memories (same)
Quartet of Oblivion
Mission of Peace
Heisheng Jian
Nadeshiko
Ruthless Villainy
The Don's Right Hand Man
Challenged
Armored Defense
Whereabouts Unknown/Graceful Kabuki
Waterfall's Momentum

And about twenty assorted characters, HA

As an avid Mission of Peace player and lover, I can say we really don't need that back in the current block, my friend. Also (respectfully) I totally disagree with Vanity, Vast Resources (another card I love), Kunai, Wherabouts, and...Quartet of Oblivion? Really, dude, lol?

I'll totally second (or third) the notion on Misdirection, Heisheng Jian (great call), and an equivalent to Nakeshiko that isn't Yoshitora-only but IS unique.

Why not? It's solid, non-busted support for three of the weaker symbols. What's wrong with that? It's also got good stats, at the cost of having a block.

On the rest: Stand Off is Vanity 2.0, but more foundation intensive; there's also a HUGE lack of check hax in the game right now, rendering the anti-hax cards we have useless; not advocating anything HUGE, just something like Dark Hado 1 or something minor. Vast Resources was feckin' awesome, you shut up! xD Then again, Lord knows the symbols on it don't need help (change THOSE) - same goes for Kunai. Life doesn't need the help, nor Evil, but Water wouldn't mind it, or Good, Order, Air, etc. Same for Whereabouts - we need some quick, on the spot momentum generation that's properly costed like Whereabouts; I'd change the stats a bit (2/5 and no Breaker), but still, there's a market for it. Quartet was a statistically excellent card that was balanced card pool clearing with a restriction - I'd much rather have Schmetterling, but I don't think many people would like that very much, especially since Tira would abuse to living crap out of it.

On the others, yeah, exactly, even down to Nadeshiko being non 'tora (especially since we don't have one...sigh; starter 'tora would be a BEAST in this format).

hehe, on the other stuff, I wasn't saying they're bad or unbalanced, just things the game doesn't need now at all. Trust me I LOVE whereabouts and Vast Resources...and Quartet, while solid, is a very forgettable card. When this game is no more, players reminiscing about the game will remember Lost Memories, Shadow Banishment, Feline Spike, Whereabouts Unknown, etc. No one's gonna remember Quartet of Oblivion, it's just not a card anyone misses.

...but Schmettering Fighting Performance Arts? NOW you're speaking my language...and the block is crap, just like all the other cards in standard. gran_risa.gif If it were to come back it might take that pre-release card out of sideboards and into main decks.

On a side note, why does this forum keep duplicating quotes everytime someone posts? That is very annoying.

MegaGeese said:

I think there's enough cheap stun attacks (speaking in respect to ratios) in standard to choke a horse. Torn Hero already has it's hands full, despite all the hate it gets. I don't think we want to creep back to insane commit and CC hacks (as you mentioned earlier) just yet. People are liking the rebirth of UFS as is for the time being. On that note though, I do agree with you 100% that small hacks like Dark Hado would be great to have.

More Stuff I'd like to see

Attacks: Sky High Claw - Probably the most balanced form of momentum gain on an attack. I love this card.

Foundation: Wandering Master - With so few blocks, and alot of them being +2, +3, this would be welcomed back with open arms, and sleeves.

Asset: Close to the Edge - I know the powers that be are against alternate win conditions, but this one was balanced.

Action: Methodical Fighter - There is nothing I can really say about this card that it doesn't say for itself. 2nd best disruption card, ever.

ROTBI said:

MegaGeese said:

I think there's enough cheap stun attacks (speaking in respect to ratios) in standard to choke a horse. Torn Hero already has it's hands full, despite all the hate it gets. I don't think we want to creep back to insane commit and CC hacks (as you mentioned earlier) just yet. People are liking the rebirth of UFS as is for the time being. On that note though, I do agree with you 100% that small hacks like Dark Hado would be great to have.

Really? Someone thinks Ring Veteran was balanced ? Are you insane?

They gave us a better-costed version of Ring Veteran and it wound up being just as good. No.

If we get any of the "Old Guard" control cards back, I'd be more for Lost Memories returning - crap block, 4 control, one-time-use-only. It's completely fair. The only bad thing is we already have two cards out now (Summoning Evil and G-Corp Leader) that would allow it to be reused to some extent, and even then, G-Corp costs some of your precious vitality, Summoning Evil is an action card, and Journey of Repentance is a partial counter to its ability.

so in summary I actually hope we don't get Lost Memories back, but if we do get ANY of those, that'd be the most reasonable one.

Other "old guard" power cards I'd think would be cool to see return:

Reversal (one of those cards that's super strong, but limited by its bad stats, plus the resource drawback that once it's played it switches to the new resources, so if it doesn't kill, you probably aren't blocking anything for the rest of the turn - would be an awesome answer to Hilde and Astrid LOL U R DED shenanigans)

Friends and Rivals (it's one shot and reveals your hand as a cost, and provides a great effect that's usable on your opponent's turn as well as your own - if Stand Off is fair, so is this. the only arguably bad thing is its okay block. there are several cards already in place that totally wreck this card - torn hero, jealously guarded secret, perfect sense of balance, and a few others)

Start Over (with POTE coming back and Kazuya in the format anyway, it'd be interesting to see this card return. this card actually promotes a more aggressive game from aggro decks, while giving more control-centric decks the ability to recover from bad draws/slow starts and more ability to control the game's tempo. the only "bad stuff" here is that it shares a resource with Jin)

The Ninja Computer Geek (this one's a maybe, but it's mediocre lifegain with a very appropriate restriction on using it, and like above, there's already a bunch of stuff that stops all the non-existant lifegain - if any old lifegain card returns, this one is probably the most fair)

Ninja Shrike Dash (as long as we don't see a new Material Advantage, it's a cool card that's reasonably statted and costed, and gets 0'd by Stand Off)

Dodge Step (strong anti-discard ability and cool defensive ability albeit one that's still hard to use effectively because of its own lack of a block and requirement to block off-zone; strong one-shot answer to Throws, and it has three resources that are currently weak)

Beginner's Luck (encourages attacking in a big way, can't be negated, doesn't have a block, boosts "weak" resources, etc.)

Heisheng Jian (appropriately statted, one of the best split cards ever created - certainly not an auto-include on any of its resources, and lack of keywords makes the attack side hard to work into combos but its enhance assists combos - very strong answer to foundation destruction without being overpowered at all really)

Overhand Throw (just kidding, this card can rest in peace)

I'll think of more later maybe.

Tagrineth said:

Really? Someone thinks Ring Veteran was balanced ? Are you insane?

They gave us a better-costed version of Ring Veteran and it wound up being just as good. No.

If we get any of the "Old Guard" control cards back, I'd be more for Lost Memories returning - crap block, 4 control, one-time-use-only. It's completely fair. The only bad thing is we already have two cards out now (Summoning Evil and G-Corp Leader) that would allow it to be reused to some extent, and even then, G-Corp costs some of your precious vitality, Summoning Evil is an action card, and Journey of Repentance is a partial counter to its ability.

so in summary I actually hope we don't get Lost Memories back, but if we do get ANY of those, that'd be the most reasonable one.

This I agree with 100%.

Tagrineth said:

Other "old guard" power cards I'd think would be cool to see return:

Reversal (one of those cards that's super strong, but limited by its bad stats, plus the resource drawback that once it's played it switches to the new resources, so if it doesn't kill, you probably aren't blocking anything for the rest of the turn - would be an awesome answer to Hilde and Astrid LOL U R DED shenanigans)

This. A thousand times over. Until I run out of breath, this.

Tagrineth said:

Friends and Rivals (it's one shot and reveals your hand as a cost, and provides a great effect that's usable on your opponent's turn as well as your own - if Stand Off is fair, so is this. the only arguably bad thing is its okay block. there are several cards already in place that totally wreck this card - torn hero, jealously guarded secret, perfect sense of balance, and a few others)

I don't think it'll make it (with a +2 mid block on 2/5 stats and all that), but I sure as hell wouldn't mind it being back. happy.gif

Tagrineth said:

Start Over (with POTE coming back and Kazuya in the format anyway, it'd be interesting to see this card return. this card actually promotes a more aggressive game from aggro decks, while giving more control-centric decks the ability to recover from bad draws/slow starts and more ability to control the game's tempo. the only "bad stuff" here is that it shares a resource with Jin )

The bolded text says it for me. Sure, allow Jin to have turn 1.5 KO potential, and then give him Kazuya 's ability JUST IN CASE things go south. He's already strong enough, man. You should have to put in some actual thought over whether you wanna be flying out of the gate or revving up for a surer kill.

Tagrineth said:

The Ninja Computer Geek (this one's a maybe, but it's mediocre lifegain with a very appropriate restriction on using it, and like above, there's already a bunch of stuff that stops all the non-existant lifegain - if any old lifegain card returns, this one is probably the most fair)

Ninja Shrike Dash (as long as we don't see a new Material Advantage, it's a cool card that's reasonably statted and costed, and gets 0'd by Stand Off)

These are balanced to the point that I don't think they'll have all that much of an impact.

Tagrineth said:

Dodge Step (strong anti-discard ability and cool defensive ability albeit one that's still hard to use effectively because of its own lack of a block and requirement to block off-zone; strong one-shot answer to Throws, and it has three resources that are currently weak )

ORLY?!?! It has Fire , Tag. Fire is hardly weak. All is on the upswing (see Paul 's support for more details, all it needs is a finisher apart from Algol 's incomprehensibly named attack), but yeah, Air needs a reason to be run over Fire , Death , or Life (apart from allowing Nina to use Shredding Vibrato as a kill condition).

Tagrineth said:

Beginner's Luck (encourages attacking in a big way, can't be negated, doesn't have a block, boosts "weak" resources, etc.)

Heisheng Jian (appropriately statted, one of the best split cards ever created - certainly not an auto-include on any of its resources, and lack of keywords makes the attack side hard to work into combos but its enhance assists combos - very strong answer to foundation destruction without being overpowered at all really)

Overhand Throw (just kidding, this card can rest in peace)

I'll think of more later maybe.

Everything else in the post I'm OK with, just thought I'd leave some comments.

As an aside, I want Schmetterling Fighting Performance Arts back, damnit! Great speed on 2 symbols searching for answers, and it has that +3 block modifier that marks a NewFS foundation as 'acceptable', and it's a LOW block (gods know we need more of those...).

Although I do respect Tag's opinion for all he did for the game for years, I do disagree with some of his choices.

Reversal: This card always was way too good. The 1-check didn't stop it from being a game-winning card. The fact that the player didn't receive any damage from the thrown attack and was sending it back to the sender was a little too good. Also, one thing I always hated about the card is that it also named after a keyword. It's as if you were to make a card named Multiple, or Powerful. Or for those who play MtG, it's like if they were to release a card named Power, or another named Toughness. For universal consistency, it's always better not to release cards named after one of the game's mechanics, eliminating needless confusion, especially on the boards.

Lost Memories: Although I have always said that this card was powerful, yet never overpowered, and that it was "necessary", I do believe now that Memories that Stain its Armor is a much more balanced and enjoyable version of this card.

Start Over: This card was never a good idea. Completely undercosted and way too powerful without any real downside in the end. In my opinion, Begin Anew was more appropriately costed since it couldn't be played turn one. This card was one of the game's initial mistakes and should not be reprinted. Hunger for Souls is much more balanced with a "High risk - Hig Reward" philosophy.

Beginner's Luck: Although I never found this to be overpowered, it was a tad too good, yet when comparing it to a card like For the Money, it starts to look quite reasonable.

As for the other choices, I don't really have any problem with them, but I'd like to emphasize on how much Dodge Step was a great card, appropriately costed, extremely useful, and far from overpowered.

SunJian said:

Although I do respect Tag's opinion for all he did for the game for years, I do disagree with some of his choices.

Reversal: This card always was way too good. The 1-check didn't stop it from being a game-winning card. The fact that the player didn't receive any damage from the thrown attack and was sending it back to the sender was a little too good. Also, one thing I always hated about the card is that it also named after a keyword. It's as if you were to make a card named Multiple, or Powerful. Or for those who play MtG, it's like if they were to release a card named Power, or another named Toughness. For universal consistency, it's always better not to release cards named after one of the game's mechanics, eliminating needless confusion, especially on the boards.

Lost Memories: Although I have always said that this card was powerful, yet never overpowered, and that it was "necessary", I do believe now that Memories that Stain its Armor is a much more balanced and enjoyable version of this card.

Start Over: This card was never a good idea. Completely undercosted and way too powerful without any real downside in the end. In my opinion, Begin Anew was more appropriately costed since it couldn't be played turn one. This card was one of the game's initial mistakes and should not be reprinted. Hunger for Souls is much more balanced with a "High risk - Hig Reward" philosophy.

Beginner's Luck: Although I never found this to be overpowered, it was a tad too good, yet when comparing it to a card like For the Money, it starts to look quite reasonable.

As for the other choices, I don't really have any problem with them, but I'd like to emphasize on how much Dodge Step was a great card, appropriately costed, extremely useful, and far from overpowered.

I gotta back Tag on this one. 6 difficulty, 1 check and no block. This card could almost say "F: You win the game" and not be overpowered. I'm exaggerating, of course, but that card is not overpowered in the least. None of its resources are undisputed top tier (poor, poor Water) and, as Tag mentioned, you're pretty vulnerable after it's played. By the way, it can still be blocked as normal.

I wanted to agree with you about Memories that Stain, SunJuan. I quickly snatched up a playset of these thinking it would be the new Lost Memories, but after seeing it action, I was pretty disappointed. The "damage" that said target foundation did has already been done, so the lack of negation makes it pretty week, especially considering it's lackluster stats. Lost Memories was always balanced and never unnecessary. Tag brings up a good counter-point to his own case in Summoning Evil and G-Corp. G-Corp has a worthy cost for it's symbols and Summoning Evil being an action is not a dependable safety net.

Beginner's Luck gets destroyed for committing it for the check of a non-attack. Totally not too-good...For the Money doesn't even need to commit. A playset of FtM and an opponent's committed staging area means plus 8 to ALL of the checks for your attacks.

But yeah, Start Over, Infiltrating, and Begin Anew can all stay on permanent vacation. If you want to clear the staging area, play Kazuya. I think (or at least hope) we're in the era of actually choosing your character based on something other than just stats and resources.

Schmetterling is too much of a speed boost, AND it clears your card pool as a cost so you get a strong benefit from it regardless. Also I don't think Life should have three different foundation effects that mitigate progressive difficulty (Schmetterling + Genius Alchemist + Atoning for the Past).

Lol, you people and your wanting of broken cards back in the environment. You make me laugh.

You know what would be an awesome card to have back?

BLOCK!

Block was a great card. I used to run it in my Void **Ken**. I'd friggin pilot that in ANY deck I could run it in in NEWFS <3.

No, Tag, I'm not insane. I honestly think something like Ring Vet that can commit, flip (at an obvious RFG cost, so you can't retrieve it), or blank assets is probably close to a necessity now, simply due to crap like Path, Burial Ground, Jaguar Mask, Paul's Gi, Dream Remnants, etc. The only asset control is printed on Ragnar and Rashotep support, and Killer Android. That's it. Same goes for characters - all we have is a really crappy foundation (Covenant Elder, I think?), Pommel Smash, and Rashotep to control characters. Tag Along's not a GREAT idea, but Terrible Discovery, or something like it, IS.

And Misdirection is a better overall choice for entering the card pool than Schmetterling, as previously stated. However, if only we had QUARTET OF OBLIVION like SOME people said...xD

Ring Veteran itself would be severe overkill.

Maybe a Ring Veteran that blanks a foundation or asset for the turn with the same timing/cost...

MegaGeese said:

The only asset control is printed on Ragnar and Rashotep support, and Killer Android. That's it....And Misdirection is a better overall choice for entering the card pool than Schmetterling, as previously stated. However, if only we had QUARTET OF OBLIVION like SOME people said...xD

Dude, how could you possibly forget Controller of Souls? Don't you have like 25 playsets of that? It's falling off of trees, man.

But I digress...Tag makes a good point about the card pool clearing yet, I still wouldn't mind Schmetterling back (two of those 3 symbols are absolute weaksauce now). You still got me laughing with that Quartet talk though, Wakeen. It's like a really bad joke that you still have to laugh at, my friend. LOL

Idyllic Kamui Koten

Singing and Dancing Musical Sister

deceptive look {not likely}

kiit said:

Idyllic Kamui Koten

Singing and Dancing Musical Sister

deceptive look {not likely}

And since I'm on the subject of agreeing with Idyllic, I disagree with all of my heart against Deceptive Look lol

Tagrineth said:

Ring Veteran itself would be severe overkill.

Maybe a Ring Veteran that blanks a foundation or asset for the turn with the same timing/cost...

At least a blanked foundation can still be used to pass a control check. That was always my big issue with Ring Vet.

Well, that and it wouldn't GO AWAY like lost memories.

It might as well have gone away if you can only use it for control checks. What good does a blanked Mishima Family Bloodline have? A blanked For the Money? A blank Enraged Golem?

So it stays there, big whoop. It's useless other than for making ONE control check.

Anti-blanking or hell no. I didn't play that foundation for it to be useless for the rest of the game.

guitalex2008 said:

It might as well have gone away if you can only use it for control checks. What good does a blanked Mishima Family Bloodline have? A blanked For the Money? A blank Enraged Golem?

So it stays there, big whoop. It's useless other than for making ONE control check.

Anti-blanking or hell no. I didn't play that foundation for it to be useless for the rest of the game.

OK, would you prefer Ring Veteran making the card not even usable for that one control check? -_-

Zangief* and Spinning Pile Driver.

Blanka*, Blanka** and Vertical Rolling Attack.

Knock Down, Drag Out.

Cervantes* and Dread Slash.

Universal Fighter (The character has only 1 symbol for the entire game. I love it.)

New art on any of the reprints would be nice.

night terror might be fun to bring back:) He never seen that much play and his abilities seem semi- in line with chars weve got now.

I'd have to agree with Pirate here. Zangief and Spinning Pile Driver were an extremely fun mechanic and far from a broken one.

SunJian said:

I'd have to agree with Pirate here. Zangief and Spinning Pile Driver were an extremely fun mechanic and far from a broken one.

Nina stuff man.