Unofficial Campaign Tracker for Descent!

By Atom4geVampire, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This descent2e looks like a fantastic game tracker. I will use it for my next normal campaign.

I am also looking for a game tracker that works with the Road to Legend campaigns. I would use it as a way to share game state with the other players in between missions. The info stored would include Gold available, items at the shop, items owned, current xp per player, current class cards selected, and so on. This way all decisions non-mission decisions could be made before we ever meet together. Has anyone seen a tracker like this? Is there a way to do this in descent2e that I am unaware of?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no online tool available to track progress in RtL campaigns. Maybe you can work with screenshots.

After a long period of inactivity, I'm sort of working on the tracker again. I'm aiming for a pretty significant overhaul/redesign, so if you have any feedback, feel free to leave it here.

I've also noticed that a lot of pages (including the homepage) seem slow as ****, so I'll need to do something about that anyway.

Can't promise anything though!

Atom, noticed yesterday while I was saving a travel step that the "lost messenger" travel event did not discount the 25 gold from the party. No need to worry about it, I'll just not count a 25 gold card on next quest. Just a heads up for you for future fixes.

Edited by Dommus

I'm kind of worried that the address bar says the site is not secure when I try to make an account and log in.

This is shown if you are not using https.
Not really a problem.

The "real" problem is, that if you try to use https, the alternate names for the certificate don't match the URL.
In the "Certificate Subject Alt Name" there are currently these names:
DNS Name: ftp.web0092.zxcs.be
DNS Name: mail.web0092.zxcs.be
DNS Name: pop.web0092.zxcs.be
DNS Name: smtp.web0092.zxcs.be
DNS Name: web0092.zxcs.be
DNS Name: www.web0092.zxcs.be

This list should also contain "DNS Name: d2etracker.com"

@ Atom4geVampire: is that a shared virtual server, or something you control directly? Do you have the ability to upload your own certificates?

I guess I'll have to contact my hosting company for that info (I'm not that familiar with server stuff tbh).

One point I noticed when I tried using the track for our second campaign - if you want to add any rumour cards, the tracker forces you to add 3. However if you have just 1 heroes & monster pack, you will only have 1 rumour card.

Slick site apart from that!

Hello wtfrank,

the behavior of the tracker is strictly speaking correct. To be able to play a campaign with rumor cards you would need at least one of these expansions "Lair of the wyrm", "The Trollfens" or "Manor of Ravens".

All of these expansions include the rules for playing with rumors, the H&M collections only contain the instruction to add the rumor and advanced quests to their respective supplies.

If you choose to play with rumor cards you have to draw 3 rumors at the start of the campaign. Of course you could theoretically use only H&M collection rumors, but you'd have to use at least 3 sets.

You can of course house rule this, but the tracker is built around the official rules.

Hey folks. Just played my first game last night, running Heirs of Blood. Had a great time. Afterwards I looked around and found this tracker online. Really like the look and layout of it.

I do have a couple of newb questions that I didn't immediately find answers too inside this 20 page thread ;)

Is there a way to edit the Quest Details? If I accidentally saved the hero's as the winner, but it should have been the overlord, I can't seem to find a way to go back and change that.

Is there a way to manually give the hero's extra gold? We misread something and they took an extra 125 for an item found in a treasure chest during a search. That was incorrect, but, they got it and spent it when shopping. I'd like to be able to add that extra gold without having to carry a negative gold balance.

Hi all, it's been a while.

The site will probably be down one of these days (might even be today). My hosting company is calling it quits, so I'll have to move the site to a different hosting.

I will try to reply to some of the mails I have received but haven't gotten around to answering yet.

Don't know when the expansion is coming out, but when it does, I'll do my best to get that implemented as well.

Other than that, as you might have guessed, I'm not really actively working on the website anymore.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:04 AM, Atom4geVampire said:

Hi all, it's been a while.

The site will probably be down one of these days (might even be today). My hosting company is calling it quits, so I'll have to move the site to a different hosting.

I will try to reply to some of the mails I have received but haven't gotten around to answering yet.

Don't know when the expansion is coming out, but when it does, I'll do my best to get that implemented as well.

Other than that, as you might have guessed, I'm not really actively working on the website anymore.

Thanks for the update Atom. Love your site, and would be happy to help keep the site up to date if you need any help with card text as with the lieutenant packs.

Edited by Charmy

Hi everyone,

me and my group started a new campaign just a few weeks ago and we are using this tracker for the first time.

This tracker is awesome 🙂

Our next session will be in about a week, are there any news when the site will be online again?

Thanks again for your awesome work Atom !

Edited by Geolino01

Well, getting my domainname transferred was a pain in the *** it seems. Even though I went through the steps to speed up the progress, it still took 5 days.

But now I've run into trouble with setting up the site on my new hosting. (Well not the site itself, but creating a space for it on my hosting)

I've contacted support, and hope to hear from them soon..

😕

Thanks for answering so quickly!

Well then our hopes are with you :)

Ok, so it should hopefully be working again tonight.
I can't fix it now cause I'm at work where FTP is blocked :)

Anyway, I've spent the past 5 days improving the website a bit here and there, and then I found another thing to improve there, and there, but also there, and here, and...
So yeah, the site launching this evening (+- 7 hours from now) will still be the old one. But I'm working on an improved version, dnno if and when it will release, because as you can see, it's a bit like going down a rabbit hole :)

Great stuff mate, the tracker is a fantastic resource :)

If you're making improvements, could I make a couple of requests?

1) Support for RAOV - specifically the Overlord mechanics for spending XP and threat tokens... At least maybe an option when you're setting up your campaign to choose "RAOV" as the Overlord player?

2) The ability to expand your collection during a campaign. My group started playing an Heirs of Blood RAOV campaign last year, then we got some new expansions (MoB and TCtR) for Christmas. As far as I could tell there's no way to add that new content to our existing campaign? We still used it, but when it comes to recording monsters we just had to lie to the tracker :D Also the two TCtR travel event cards, which fortunately didn't result in any party gold changes...

Neither are particularly high priority, just nice-to-haves for my group :)

4 hours ago, Atom4geVampire said:

Ok, so it should hopefully be working again tonight.
I can't fix it now cause I'm at work where FTP is blocked :)

Anyway, I've spent the past 5 days improving the website a bit here and there, and then I found another thing to improve there, and there, but also there, and here, and...
So yeah, the site launching this evening (+- 7 hours from now) will still be the old one. But I'm working on an improved version, dnno if and when it will release, because as you can see, it's a bit like going down a rabbit hole :)

I can't wait to test the new features :)

Site should be back!

12 hours ago, Xyphistor said:

1) Support for RAOV - specifically the Overlord mechanics for spending XP and threat tokens... At least maybe an option when you're setting up your campaign to choose "RAOV" as the Overlord player?

2) The ability to expand your collection during a campaign. My group started playing an Heirs of Blood RAOV campaign last year, then we got some new expansions (MoB and TCtR) for Christmas. As far as I could tell there's no way to add that new content to our existing campaign? We still used it, but when it comes to recording monsters we just had to lie to the tracker :D Also the two TCtR travel event cards, which fortunately didn't result in any party gold changes...

ROAV? Redjack's Overlord Automation Version, or something? :)

Second thing is probably an option (i was planning to add in in the past but it never happened.

8 hours ago, kbalazsa said:

I can't wait to test the new features :)

First up is just fixing/improving the old crappy code. Like making it so the homepage doesn't take 10 min to load because I never anticipated so many people to use the site ;)

I just logged in and when I tried to select the next quest I got an error message. The screenshot is attached. 2240D7A9-5021-43DC-922F-3F141E9CA694.thumb.jpeg.78fef27d819f24580b2e5f392dc6036e.jpeg

Thanks.

There are some issues between the PHP version/ MySQL version compared to my old hosting. But on this new one, I can't find where (if its even possible) I can change a certain mysql setting.
I've changed the query, and the error seems to be gone.

I did a db restore, just to be sure. I'm waiting for that to finish and i'll put it back online

It's back online. The restore was only executed during the night (gotta love my new hosting 😕 )

12 hours ago, Atom4geVampire said:

ROAV? Redjack's Overlord Automation Version, or something? :)

Ya, Redjak's Automated Overlord Variant. 👍

The main difference is that the Overlord spends just 1 XP to draw a card at random from their chosen decks; so the XP cost of the card is irrelevant, as is the requirement to own some in that class already. So for the 1 XP earned from the introductory quest the Overlord could potentially gain a 3 XP card... For tracker implementation it just means all available cards can be purchased for 1 XP without any restrictions...

However, for each new card added to the Overlord hand there is a 50% chance that he discards (returns to the box) one from his Basic deck... So that would probably need adding as well...

Those two features give you the ability to track and remember what cards the Overlord has available, but if you wanted to get carried away you could implement the starting Overlord Class Deck selection mechanic as well to reduce the long list of possible cards to something more manageable... :D

That is, rather than being able to buy cards from any classes, at the start of an RAOV campaign the Overlord chooses a single or dual class and then randomly picks cards from those classes... So if you added an 'Overlord class/classes' selection box at the start you could then only show (all) the cards from those decks at the spend Overlord XP step...

None of this stuff is particularly important though so if it's not relatively straightforward then it's probably not really worth doing... Especially since RAOV may be about to be superceded by Sands of the Past :D

Adding support to the tracker for a Sands of the Past campaign would probably be easier, not sure how that will work just yet though (probably just turn off all the Overlord stuff)...

Edit: Just thought of another feature that would actually be useful - the ability to update the tracker information between Encounters of a Quest... If you don't play them both in one session it's hard to remember the Encounter 1 info when you come back to it weeks later :P

Edited by Xyphistor

Hi all, i am new to Descent and have just discovered he need for a Campaign tracker (great idea!)

I managed to register fine, however when i create a New Group (which i need to do to start a new campaign), i get the following error

"Column 'grp_creation' cannot be null"

Can anyone help?

Edited by feeble18

That seems to be another issue related to the migration (see above) I'll fix it asap