Master Level play?

By Salazark, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I can't remember if knight's got 150 of 1500 (I like 1500 more) so for masters I would give 250-300, or 2000-2500.

What do you think?

Also I have a character I made using Oggdude's generator (thanks!) and he is 1,500 xp, should he be a knight, master, or WAY overpowered?

Welcome! :D

Well, Knight level is 150 XP but I really suggesto you that before give any XP think about a few things, and of course, discuss it with your players.

- Determine the game lenght: Would be a 4-6 sessions campaign or a marathonian sandbox that your grandsons will continue playing? Also consider the "how often will you play" and the amount of XP given per session.

- Fix the universe "power level": Determine world "max challenges" and what are the max a player can achieve, and whats the maximum Nemesis do you want they face and win (or survive).

After determining those points, then just give the starting XP that you wish, but, 1.500 XP (or even more) is a big amount. A 300XP build can face tons of problems (a specialized one). Also I want to say that high amount of XP doesn't always guarantee success (less XP and specialization uses to be so much better). In my games I have one player with more than 2.600XP and still have problems (a lot) with non-specialized skills.

By the way, if you don't determine the first two points, you will have some problems with your games.

And finally, I would like to know, to aid you better, what are the exact reasons that are moving you about want so much XP. If you can explain them with more detail, probably we can help you better :)

Again, welcome and take care!

While I don't have a problem with potentially introducing a 'Master' Level option, I would agree with Josep's suggestion that you think ahead of time on what that will do to your game. The more xp you give your players at character generation, the bigger the knock on effect on how your game runs.

I would definitely recommend that you maintain the same limits on what can be bought with the extra xp. The official Knight level states that the extra points are spent after character generation is complete, so characteristics can only be increased by purchasing the relevant talent and I would use Master level the same way.

One big problem that I've repeatedly seen with advanced XP characters is that often times, the players will out and out forget about abilities that their characters have. I've seen this with Knight Level (150 XP), I've seen with with playtests that I've done where the PCs had hundreds of XP. Since the players haven't allowed their character to organically grow from starting level to whatever advanced level you place them at, there's going to be multiple talents that were never used before that first session that the players are simply going to overlook.

Granted, this isn't a problem unique to this game, as it shows up in any RPG that has more than just skills where the players make a character that's not 1st level. D&D and it's various iterations/clones are very subject to this, particularly where spell-casters are concerned.

Personally, I'd suggest that if you want the PCs in the game you're running to be really powerful but avoid the "forgotten abilities" issue, simply double or triple the XP awards handed out each session. I did this with my Force and Destiny group during the Beta in the hopes that we'd be able to test out more of the material quicker if they advanced faster, and it worked pretty well to get them up to Knight Level after only a couple of sessions but without the players constantly overlooking or forgetting talents they had purchased.

Totally agree with previous posters also...

I can't remember if knight's got 150 of 1500 (I like 1500 more) so for masters I would give 250-300, or 2000-2500.

What do you think?

Also I have a character I made using Oggdude's generator (thanks!) and he is 1,500 xp, should he be a knight, master, or WAY overpowered?

Way overpowered, assuming you're playing by RAW.

Knight was set at +150 because that gives an even boost to all character types, both force and nonforce, while still leaving plenty of room to grow. Whether or not the resulting characters were "Knights" was a much debated topic that was up to each individuals point of view.

Also make sure you really really get the system. A lot of people don't get it as well as they think they do. Force Ratings alone throw a lot of new people for a loop when they find out that to have the power the Jedi use in the films you only need a max FR of 2 or 3. Even the likes of Yoda didn't need to be but around 4 or 5. Calling on the darkside and the morality system also is quite different then many expect. There was one guy not long ago that really butted heads with the boards because he didn't understand how the force worked and balanced, and essentially rewrote the entire rules to better fit his vision and was very upset when he found everyone didn't agree with him.

Thanks! changed the character to 650 xp, still too high for jedi master?

I wouldn't worry about the starting cost just yet. But here is a suggestion.

1. Do a normal 1st Level build in the class and starting specialization you want. For this build focus on upping the characteristics you want to have. Note: Increasing characteristics should only occur at Character Creation unless you're taking a Talent that allows them to be increased. Follow any species rules as well but for simplicity as well as a baseline, use Human.
  2. From that initial character, began to build to what you think a Master Level character would be.
  3. Add up all the experience spent on skills, talents, and Force Powers taken after Character Creation. That will be your 'Master Level' total. But don't tell your players this total.
  4. Have your players go through steps 1 and 2 and compare your total to their totals. If their builds follow a similar pattern like yours and is within 30 EXP of your total, then the Character could work. If the player has built a super broad character, then that player should rebuild the character.

Like the others have said, giving a huge XP boost right off the boat could create too broad of a character. "Jack of all trades, Master of none" should be taken into consideration. Impress on your players that they should build a character to Master Level, not take every Skill, Talent, and Force Power possible with the EXP given to them.

What do you think?

I would probably pitch "master-level" (Mace, Luminara, et al.) at around 800XP, which is pretty high! However, if you haven't built your characters up to that over time or aren't very familiar with the system, that's going to mean a lot of rule-book flipping for all the talents that you have but can't quite remember what they do.

Edited by knasserII

I think for now skip XP level and just explain what you are trying to accomplish. What do you want the player to be able to do? What restrictions on the campaign and character build options are you planning? How important is advancement and what XP rewards, if any, do you intend to hand out? What about players that don't want to play Jedi Masters? Do they get to make beefy clonetroopers or something? How have you planned for that? Once we understand that we can probably give you better feedback.

As others have said just handing the players a pile o XP and assuming you're good is probably not going to work. If you do you'll probably find the players won't build their characters the way you expect. You will probably have to change the build process or establish limitations to avoid issues.

XP level->Learner/Knight/Master was a huge point of discussion and the results were radically different. Some said +150 was knight, some insisted +500 was the required minimum. The problem wasn't one of actual XP costs so much as how each person saw the Jedi, and what they expected a "knight" to be capable of.

Extrapolating from my own back-of-the-bar-coaster calculations , a nice round 600 earned xp is more than sufficient to call oneself a Jedi Master.

Not saying she's right, but she's certainly not wrong.

You have to factor in your players though and say things like "You must spend X XP on career skills, Y on non career, Z on talents, G on a second Specialization, Q on talents in that Spec, S on Force powers, L on force power upgrades..." witht he total being whatever you decide the XP ceiling to be.

If you do, you'll get balanced "Masters," if you don't, you'll find out what a rancor with a lightsaber is like...