Please help me find the mythos novel I'm looking for

By Yog-Hurtoth, in The World of H. P. Lovecraft

Hi,

There is a particular mythos novel that I'm looking for, but I've forgotten its title. All I know is that it features elder things and tcho-tcho people. I think it's a fairly well-known mythos novel, but it's not by HPL. Also, I think someone recommended it on the old COCCCG forums. If anyone could help me find out the title of the book it would be much appreciated.

I reckon you're thinking of A Shadow Out of Time?

I suspect The Professor's right, although I seem to recall it's more a 'mention' of the Tcho-Tcho than them 'starring'to any large extent. A few short story collections would fit your description - any clues about the setting, time period, or anything else you can remember about the story would be appreciated!

@Dam: Thanks! I've posted my question on the AH forums

@TheProfessor and Robertlain: Thanks for your help:) It's definitely not ASOoT, though. It's not a Lovecraft story, but I think it's by one of the more well-known mythos writers (probably not from the "first generation", though). I'm quite sure that it's a novel rather than a short story (I've seen it for sale somewhere, and it looked like it was the only story in the book. from the look of the cover I'd ay that it was published in the 70s or 80s). My memory fails me, but I think the shining trapezohedron or the glass of leng is featured in the story. Or maybe it takes place on the plateu of leng. I'm sorry I can't give any better clues.

Did you ever get an answer to this? The only story I can even think of with the Elder Things is At the Mountains of Madness - which does fit your criteria as a novel: but I am pretty sure lacks teh Tcho-Tchos. The Tcho-Tchos would be associated with the plateau of Leng - do post back and let us know if you tracked down the title. It is intriguing.

I'm a bit late to the thread here but I have a wealth of info on the Tcho-Tchos that may help find the book if you haven't already. The handy-dandy Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia by Daniel Harms lists the following under the See Also section for the Tcho-Tchos entry. Each title is followed by the author's last name:

• The Curse of Chaugnar Faugn - Barton
  • Behind the Mask - Carter
  • The Strange Doom of Enos Harker - Carter
  • The Doom of Enos Harker - Carter & Cornford
  • Goat-Mother - Comtois
  • Made of Meat - Conyers
  • Lair of the Star-Spawn - Derleth & Schorer (Original appearance)
  • The Curse of the Toad - Hall & Dale
  • The Andaman Islands - Herber
  • Dawn Biozyme - Isinwyll with Hike
  • Black Man With a Horn - Klein

Hi,

I'm sure you've got the answer to your question already but I'll chime in.

The above is correct. Elder Things and Shoggoths only appear in AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS which is one of HPL's "novellas".

Mi-go appear in WHISPERER IN THE DARK

Deep Ones in THE SHADOWS OVER INNSMOUTH

Ghouls appear in several stories but significantly in PICKMAN'S MODEL

The Great Race of Yith appears in A SHADOW OUT OF TIME

Cthulhu makes his one and only personal appearance CALL OF CTHULHU

The Brian Lumley's et al who took up the Cthulhu Mythos thread after HPL's death feature many of the original creations plus several new ones.

My favorite HPL story of all time is THE DUNWICH HORROR which has been made into two terrible movies. (Curiously both starring Dean Stockwell.) I think the consensus is the critter in that one is a DARK YOUNG.

Enjoy!

Dont know about the other film but I like the 1970 Dunwhich Horror film

The other one is the one that they have not made yet. I'm afraid that it would take Wilbur to explain that.