A Serious Petition to Fantasy Flight Games

By WayToTheDawn, in Hollow Bastion

Kingdom Hearts Community! I ask you now to join me in signing this petition...read over it and if you agree post your name (or username if you don't want your real name known) and a reason why you believe FFG is dropping the ball. together I believe we can make this great game what it deserves to be! Please avoid any conversation here as well...I'm trying to make this as professional as possible, your name and a reason will suffice, thank you all. ^_^

Dear FFG,

We, the loyal community of The Kingdom Hearts Trading Card Game, would like to make a statement concerning how it is being handled. For the past two and a half years we have spent countless hours play testing, promoting, and buying this amazing product only to be met with muddy card rulings, lack of company support, and no hope of ever seeing an Organized Play system. We believe that you, as a company, do not understand what property you are dealing with. The Kingdom Hearts Video Game is a global phenomenon that has sold millions of copies worldwide and is adored by fans of both Disney and Square-Enix, merchandise such as T-shirts and Action Figures sell out constantly. What we’re getting at here is that your not showing enough support for a game that could be making you so much more money than it already is.
Two years ago, when Kingdom Hearts premiered at GenCon Indy, Kingdom Hearts had it’s own section of the FFG booth, a big screen TV was playing the Demo CD, and wouldn’t ya know it..it drew the fans in, people were lined up around the booth to demo it! Where did this support go we ask. Last year Kingdom Hearts had no demo areas at the FFG booth and the product was stuck in a small corner which took forever to find. So we ask again, What Happened?
You have a loyal fan base now that understands what you have to go through with getting things approved with the original company and all the red tape that requires, but we can’t imagine that showing more support for such a huge property would be that much more difficult, as we mentioned, do you even understand how huge of a property it is? We are not asking for much here, just more support. The kind of support you show UFS, or Game of Thrones, at least they have Organized Play, at least you show them some semblance of company support; whereas we only get one incredibly hard working employee (Jaffer Batica) who I know feels the pressure.
Below we are signing this petition and telling you why we believe that these things need to be addressed. We pray that you will listen and understand how much we love this game and how much we want to see it succeed, but without more support from you, it will die off like its Japanese counterpart did. Thank You.

~The Kingdom Hearts Community

Brett Wright (WayToTheDawn)

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, the first 100 people to sign up for the original Heart Forums back in late 2007. I've been waiting on Organized Play for about as long as I'vee been a member here. I've been a Mod and supported this game as much as humanly possible...but I still feel like I've been ignored. Like the petition said, we aren't asking for the world, we're just asking for more support.

Liam Stanway (Username: Trothael)

I too am a longstanding member of the community that FFG have provided space for, and, I feel, given little consideration for. I have been one of the four user moderators and have seen this community grow for nearly two years, given it my support and actively sought out FFG's products from overseas. Now I feel let down by FFG's lack of attention to the community that they are the parent to and their attitude towards helping this community or improving their website.

Joshua Stothers (Roxas)

I've been playing since Christmas 07 when set one first came out. I love this game as Kingdom Hearts is my favorite game hands down, but this company has really disappointed me with it's lack of getting the game out there. The only place that has a tournament near me is about 30 mins away and that simply doesn't cut it.

Pretty much FFG needs to support this game better. Jaffer has done a good job with answering our questions, but he is still only one man and I think even he feels the pressure coming from us with some of the current rulings and screw ups to this game.

To echo Brett, we're not asking for the world, just some decent support for a game that would be a money maker if you gave it more support.

Carl Antonik (Kiro13)

I may not have been here since the beginning but I started playing the moment Set 2 come out and knew that this was a great game cause I had played the Video Games and liked the games very much which easily pulled me into playing Kingdom Hearts. Where I learned that this game is great, and I know there might not be many people but there could be some serious improvement. Cause is it really hard to re-read a card to make sure you got the grammar/translations right? Not to be ungrateful but some of the effects and names and such should not have been easily mistooked and typed out wrong. And organized play would be good cause I play UFS and I know how the much support UFS can get and it would be a little great if the KH Community could at least get half of that support.

Greg Trog (gtrogi)

Joined in between set's 2 and 3.

What really gets me is (like it says in the petition) how awsome and popular a franchise kingdom hearts is and how FFG could be making a ton of money off it, It just doesn't make sense to give this game so little attention. + Organized play would be fantastic!

Ethan Simpson (Ecomics21)

I have played Kingdom Hearts 2 around 40 times (serious), so the second I found out that there was a TCG about it I was extatic. But lately, I've kinda felt like I've been throwing my money away while buying this game, aside from the fun in the games, there seems to be no reason to play this game. I remember the hype it had at Gencon 2 years ago when it was first announced, the demo booth was packed and everyone wanted to play it because they love Kingdom Hearts. This past year I was drafting, and there were people walking by just saying how this game was a waste and wouldn't make it....I didn't want to believe it, but it starts to look more and more true every day.

So, FFG...actually do something with the game you try to create rather than sell the cards and nothing else.

Samuel Lee(sungtrs)

Hi there, I have been playing this great tcg game at the beginning of when set3 came out. At first, I was only focused on getting one card which was Cloud lv4, my inspiration for what I've set my career to be. I've become fond of how the game play worked, and how unique it was towards other types of tcgs(like there was 2 ways to win which is WR and Aggroing) so I've started playing thanks to my friends here in Houston, and personally think this tcg's potential is so much better than other tcgs(It has the popular Disney, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy characters). What I'm trying to say is that this game has so much expectations to so many people. The reason we buy these cards is to collect and play because this game is fun. We get them BECAUSE it's fun. Taking that away from us by giving us alternate rulings on the card's effect, limiting the power of the card on what it's effect is directly saying in the card and confusing us with half-built card statements ruins the gameplay itself. I'm not saying to change the effects towards what we want it to be, but more like state it in the card so that we would know, not tell us indirect effects that the card's effect is this and it seems like the card's potentials are being limited because of the fact that the effect states different. We know that the company is trying, and that's why we are petitioning; we are trying to help the company and this community to make this game more fun. It's like when the Americans wanted independence from Britain. Not all Americans wanted to break away from their motherland, but they did so just because the British kept on restricting them to keep an eye on them. They taxed goods that would have either benefited the Americans, or just to bind the Americans to show who's superior. If the British at the time gave the Americans some free space, maybe the revolution would not have happened at all. And so just like how the Americans wanted freedom from the grasp of the British, I want freedom from this confusing card effect statement.

Kevin-Éric Bouchard (WeirdUsername)

I was on the old forums before the first Riku promo came out. Since then, I waited, and waited and left the forums, around the time that Set 2 was arriving. Why? Because I didn't have any cards. The stores that had them were too far away. I'd have to spend half the money allotted to the purchasing of cards, just to make the trip. This is a great game. I've never played, and I can tell. I recently came back to find brand-new forums, and a much greater metagame. I've learned quite a bit about it, and I intend to play this game! Could you just make my part of the deal easier? In addition to ALL of the suggestions above, I feel this game needs more marketing. Make more ads! I don't think I've ever even seen an ad for this game. In fewer words, what this game needs is MORE SUPPORT!

Richard Ballance (Choitz)

Ever since the day I found out about this from a friend ('n mind you, I saw ZERO advertisement for it) 'n tackled him just to pry the first set's starter from his fingers (it was awkward.. 'n hilarious), I have been continuosly buyin what Kingdom Hearts cards I possibly could.

Around Set 2 or so, I found myself lurkin within the halls of the community forum, 'n started becomin an active, concern'd player, due to my wantin to see this game thrive (lord knows the many times I nearly put myself into debt by buyin "just one more pack", just to see if I'd finally get the card I was searchin).

Though I haven't seen many tournaments ( I hear bout GenCon 'n ThisCon 'n ThatCon) in my area or nearby to support, I look onward with hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll have an opportunity to participate in a tournament, 'n finally meet other fellow KH friends. There are a total of 4 of us here that play the card game. Decks have become VERY predictable.

All we are askin is for a little more support in this area. Daily, we check the site, with hopes that somethin new will pop up on the mainscreen, lil red Sora icon 'n all, but between the Highlander tournament 'n Set 4's release, I've seen more bout card games 'n board games that I haven't really much of an interest in. Yes, I'm pretty sure they're great 'n all, but when you find somethin you've memorized 'n quote 'n correct people whenever they get somethin wrong (no tellin how many times I had to explain the whole 'Sora/Roxas' thing...), you kinda grow attach'd to it, 'n want it to grow in response.

I understand you are a business, 'n have your own needs 'n objectives to accomplish. I also understand that when the people speak, companies try to listen to the public (especially those speakin. That's why we have polls, for the benifit of the company) 'n meet the standards that the public so desires, under certain conditions. We want to see this game last. We'd like to see it thrive. I'd love to see more people know what I'm talkin bout when I confront them (especially game store owners). 'N we'd like to see (as I repeat others on this) more Organized Play for Kingdom Hearts TCG.

Do understand that this isn't an angry mob (yet) comin at you. This is a community that would like to be noticed, 'n believe we need a lil bit more out of a game that has such huge potential. So, on behalf of myself 'n every other player here (with all due respect, no less), we ask of you:

Can you please do this for us?

John Rayner (Player Name: Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto)

To Whom it may concern,

I've been playing since this game came out. Every set I have purchased a box, along with individual packs. I have enjoyed this game for its easy learning curve and endless fun. However, I have been somewhat disappointed with the lack of attention this game gets, even from Fantasy Flight Games. It seems that on the front page of the website, the only real time you see Kingdom Hearts is when a new set is coming it seems now. Other games like the UFS seem to be getting constant attention through their organize play and the acquisition of new licenses. Other games show more support through the updates that they get. It seems like there was more Hype to the Penny Arcade release than the new set of Kingdom hearts.

I know it is tough balancing everything in the company, with all the card games, board games, and other projects that FFG has taken. My feeling though is that you have created this community, and you should be listening a bit better. I don't want as much coverage as other games, but enough to let people know that we are here. If you can't handle that, then give the license of KH to a company who will be at least willing to give this game the proper attention it deserves.

FYI FFG, 358/2 Days is coming out soon, maybe you should be making some calls and setting up a promotion for the game. I don't know, maybe a Promo card with the game, and a pamphlet to let people know about it. As PO'ed as I am at Press Pass, at least with their FMA, they were able to release a promo into one of thier games, the TCG one for DS. Not a bad idea.

So, here is what I would like to see:

At least Monthly Updates on the Game (May it be promos or Organize Play)
A organize play itself (or more of)
A promo with the DS game (doubt this will happen, but it would be very nice, even a reprint with a different picture)
More ways to get promos (Like your HP redemption)

Other optional things:
How about a DS game we can play to???
A podcast like UFS with the state of the game

Its tough managing things, I have a diploma in business and I can understand that, but you did take this on, and any failure right now is on your hands because of the lack of promotion and incentive to play this game.

To sum up all what I said into a sentence, "Give this game a bit more love, thats all."

Thank you for your time in reading this, and I hope, and the rest of the community hopes to hear from you soon on this matter,

John Rayner,
Kingdom Hearts Canadian Player

Matthew Louie (Username:TheChampIsHere)

I was always an avid Kingdom Hearts lover. I do not play the game, I am solely collecting them because I have a passion for Kingdom Hearts, as my brother does Power Rangers. We have always been passionate about certain things, and when I found out Kingdom Hearts had a Japanese TCG, I found myself wanting to import them so badly, though I couldn't understand them. Then, the exact day (wrote on my Kingdom Hearts calendar imported from Japan) of November 10, 2007, I was told that Fantasy Flight Games would be broadcasting the Kingdom Hearts TCG TRANSLATED into the US. I was so happy, and I was 1 of the first few to preorder boxes and join the community on the forums.

Ever since then I have made numerous trades with what I have bought (only 1 box per set), and have surmounted to getting every card out as of now, and I just can't believe it as I look upon these forums now, as they are not as hustling and bustling as they used to be. There are still those that get on a good amount of time, but I notice there aren't even enought trade threads still active too cover the 1st page...DO YOU KNOW WHY?!?! Because FFG is not marketing KH enough. I have numerous KH friends who also love the franchise...do you know what is so sad...I was the only one who had heard about the TCG...I asked so many people, and nobody even knew...NOBODY EVEN HEARD OF IT!!! But I guarentee you if you went to more Kingdom Hearts sites and advertised it you would find a lot more people dedicated to getting these cards. I find that a lot of people who are on these sites like www.khinsider.com and www.kh.co.uk do not even know that you made these cards, and I can't believe my eyes as I read there remarks regarding who makes them or where you can get them. It is almost heartbreaking to know such a beloved TCG is being shunned by its own fanbase and I believe that if you just tried a little harder you can make this really popular.

In Japan, this TCG became so popular it was able to make 5 sets before even getting close to losing their fanbase, and it made 2 more sets before being discontinued. At this rate in the US, the game will be discontinued before the next 2 sets come out, and that is because most people do not know of the card games. I reccommend that FFG put a huge booth at Gencon, and have a whole section dedicated to its not so popular games as a way to bring up their popularity, otherwise, please, stop putting hope in us that this game will be anything more than it is now, because I can't bear to see something KH be another atrophy as so many TCG's in the past.

Thank you for your time....

Anthony Rodriguez (Catmaninja)

Recently I have come across this game and decided to give it a try because I loved the video game. So I searched for places to meet people who also played this game. I haven't found a single store nearby that has people who play this game or even sells these cards. It would be in the best interest for both the players of this game and the company if there was more support and advertising for this game because the company would make more money and the players would get to play and meet other people who share a common interest. Since playing this game I have made friends with some of the people in this community, and I'm very glad I did because that's the whole point of a card game to meet new people, develop friendships, and have fun. If this game had more support from its owner think of the potential friendships that could be made between players. It would be a great thing if this community grew so big that people could connect with others easily all over the country (or even world) and become friends through a card game.

Ryan Bedillion( User Name: Anarchy_In_The_Galaxy)

I've been complaining about poor promotion since i heard about the game then randomly stumbled upon base set packs at the store i work in. You know what I did I bought half the stock that day! Two weeks later the KH cards are gone and never to be sold in my store again, as a matter of fact there isnt a store within an hours drive of my house that stocks them and that store has a very small stock. This is due to lack of klnowledge that the game exists! Its Kingdom hearts one of Squares greatest titles but it can;t sell itself we need an advertisement in a magazine or something! I'm tired of going to a card shop for a kingdom hearts tourny only to be shoved in a cormer to make room for yugioh players! If we had more people in this game the tournament turn out would be great and on scheduled days I wouldnt be confined to a table in the back for organized play! GenCon shouldnt be the only chance i get to play this game with new people. Oh and thanks Mr.Dawn for telling me where the KH cards were last GenCon or I'd have left with nothing. and thanks for the etiton its about time!

Brian Blackwell (Van Comrad)

I as well have been on the forums and playing this game nearly since it came out and it seems it’s losing more and more support since then. I can see how much trouble it is for all the red tape but more support is not too much to ask is it? You didn’t even give us a release kit this time round. What happened to that?
Please take this game seriously

Joe Vargo

i am annoyed with the yugion/score like card rulings. the way some of these cards are ruled, turns potentially playable cards into crap. i would like someone to read the cards and interpret them as they are written, so please FFG, when printing cards, please read them and clarify the wording in the card itself

Christopher Horton(greenkoolaid)

This game is seriously fun and I enjoy the properties that it is based from. This new set has given me the feeling that you are trying to bring this game to the next level(hopefully more tourney's and organized play), but the card rulings, set release dates, lack of organized play, and availability makes this games only a side game for most people. But it could be more, and I cant wait to see what becomes of this game.

Michael Cacchillo (darkjawa)

I am also saddened by a lack of support show by FFG. I have played KH on and off since its release, I also have bounced back and forth with FFG's other game, UFS. The reason for the back and forth with both great games is lack of support from FFG. I was able for a limited time get a store to let us play UFS weekly, but again it was without "official support". I have played Pokemon consistantly and even have been running a League for over a year due to its INCREDIBLE amount of support. I have even used my Pokemon League to promote Kingdom Hearts, but people ask me "do they run tournaments?" I have to say no. In my opinion this game has great potential to capture a much larger audience (who doesn't LOVE Disney characters), but it will never come to fruition without the proper support.

Austin Ashe (Sluppie)

There's so much I could (and want to) say here, but I'll limit it to three big points. It's going to be spammy anyways but I think these points are worth making:

Hire a Technical Writer: I've been to the forums for your other card games and I've noticed one big problem in common with all of them: The text that you write on your cards is VERY unclear. Believe it or not, but there is a skill to saying things clearly AND concisely, and you've made it very obvious that you do not have it. This is the cause of many problems and complaints for us players, and the demand for "rulings" and "answers" and other such things would simply VANISH if you just said things clearly to begin with. Here's what you can do to fix this: Hire a Technical Writer. Just find someone who is skilled and/or talented in the art of writing very clear instructions and all of your card text-related problems will be solved. Assuming that they do their job that is. And if they don't, find someone else who will. Just don't leave things as they are. PLEASE.

Allow the Meta-Game to be more Diverse: I know that maybe you don't have a lot of control over this. Maybe you don't get to call the shots on things like this, but at the very least you can try to get in touch with people who do. If you want this game to be a success, a good meta is the way to go. This game's meta currently suffers from a lack of forethought in the design, thus resulting in only a few strategies being "top tier". In set 3, a Light deck running Riku + Soul Eaters was the way to go. Now in set 4, it seems like Sora level 1 swapping between using Kingdom Key and Valor Form is what's at the top. Now this is "okay", but "okay" isn't going to compete with card games like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon. If you want the meta to be more diverse, you NEED to make cards like Roxas, Axel, Xaldin, and Dark Riku be more viable. And there's really only one way to do this: Give them more control. Control over the Friend Area, control over Magic, control over Magic/Friends, control over your opponent's hand, control over challenges, control over dark cards, control over your opponent's control, etc. etc. Light decks have all of this control, and they are at the top of the meta. Meanwhile Dark decks, Org13 decks, and Roxas decks do NOT have as much control and they are WEAK WEAK WEAK. The thing is that I've played Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2 + CoM, and I have to say that it is VERY WELL DESIGNED from a mechanics/strategy point of view. I only wish the card game could live up to those same standards.

More Support: This game is only fun to play provided that there are actually other people to play this game with. Kingdom Hearts is HUGE! It's a pretty big deal to gamers all over the world. Go ahead and google "Kingdom Hearts fansite". I just did and it came back with "about 63,000" results. Now for many searches, only about 10% of the links that Google gives you are relevant. But if you do a search for "Kingdom Hearts fansite" then AT LEAST the first TEN PAGES will be 100% FULL of fansites, without a single irrelevant link. THAT'S HOW MANY KH FANS THERE ARE. It is HARD NOT TO FIND ONE.

Again, signed.

Garett Brett (dutpotd)

Needless to say I don't disagree with the statements made by most players in this thread. The more the support the better. Thank you for instigating this WttD, your love for the game shines more than any other's. Here is hoping that with the new set and potentially more new players that the game grows legs, becuase it is KH fun at its best.

As players we have to recognize our role is to support the game we love even if we know that we don't have all of the information dictating the Publishers actions. Usually monetary decisions are made for good reasons, as players let's continue to give FFG a good reason to support the game we play :)

- dut

Steven Meisel (elstevo)

While i might not post here too often, i too have been an player of this game since its inception and have starting a playing community within my area ( i have introduced about 10 people to the game) and am also dissatisfied with the awkward rulings and phrasing, but the lack of support. i play this game because it is different to the other ones i play (VS., Magic, WOW) and with its simple premise should not be this overly complex. i love this game and hope that it lasts more than two more sets

Tyler Finley (username: Got It Memorized?)

I am still quite new to the game, however it took only one night of reading the rules forum for me to see how confusing the rulings are. This game is quite enjoyable, however, by neglecting the support for it; FFG has scared away numerous potential fans of the game. Last week, my friend and I sat down at the local card shop and began playing. At least 20 people stopped by and asked us about the game or said that they had a deck or two made but they didn't know that anybody played the game. This is a truly fun game and I much prefer it over games like Yu-gi-oh. I quit playing it because the rulings became too confusing and situational, I would hate to see the same thing happen to this game.

Chexlleim

I have been playing for a while now and i would mind having some organized play to get to know more of the Kingdom Hearts players in Canada, this game has a lot of players but very little publicity. It is an awesome game and i believe that it can do so much more than what it is now. FFG should really back up this product more that they are doing now and clarify some of the rules that are still up for debate.

Thanks

Pedro Viana (UserName: Nobody)

I'm so tired of coming up with stratigies by myself. To be alone, mocked at for following a game they said was destined to fade away. I will not let that happen! Playing for HOURS with this game by myself. You don't have any idea of the potential this game has to offer. I almost did abadoned this game. But then, where is the fun? FFG, you do not know what you hold in your grasp. The power to make this game as famous as the Yugioh or Pokemon Franchise. I won't abadoned this game, nor the friends I have made here. Now, PAY Attention to what we have in our minds!!! We Will not be Ignored!!! We have all played this game, for one reason or the other. But the main one is that this game has the potential, the power, that entertain us for the better of our time. We have listened to your thanks you's, your events, your announcements. But now, it is your turn to listen.....

Thomas Carney

I've been playing for about 9 months now when my girlfriends came in yelling about kingdom hearts players at her school (Cal poly pomona). We found starters at a Barns and nobles and bought them. We have enjoyed every minute of it! The simple rules, the fun cards, and a great property. But when we went to Anime expo, No one had even heard of it!

FFG you have a great chance to make LOTS of money here. Give the game more promotion, get some organized play, and get it into more shops. TRust me, I've recruited about 20 people to playing it just by demoing it, if you try you could get LOTS of people.