Thoughts on Expansion sets

By Papa Midnight, in Forbidden Stars

I think a great option for them would be to release a new edition of the game with four new factions and 12 new tiles.

Say, Astra Militarum, Necrons, Tyranids and Tau.

That way it's a great new product and at the same time it's a fantastic pick up for those who already love the base game and want to mix and match races and titles. I think it should definitely stay at max four players though, the Planning Phase is great and relatively interactive but combat between two players leaves the other two completely out of the loop. I use a house rule where other players can go ahead with non-advance orders while others are doing combat, if they're next to go and have something on top of a stack.

I would also love to see "faction expansion packs" that interact and replace or add to the decks for the standing races. For example I'd love a Space Wolves faction expansion that combined with the Space Marines faction and added a space wolf combat deck (scouts become blood claws, space marines become Grey Hunters etc), a new faction card (the big one, and a dominate ability) as well as thematic new space wolf upgrades. These could be as intensive or as light as they like, for example even just a few simple combat cards and upgrade cards might suffice, or they could go balls to the wall and release a whole new set of light blue figures, (land raider would probably be a Thunderwolf rider or a wolf claw equipped Dreadnought) Or they could just use most of the blue space marine figures and simply add in the dreadnought piece and it's supporting upgrades and combat cards.

Ideas for action expansion packs/replacements

Space Marines - Space Wolves, Blood Angels

Chaos - Thousand Sons, Death Guard

Eldar - Dark Eldar

Orks - Evil Sunz (Speed Freakz),

I think another good idea for an expansion ties in with another aspect of 40k that always does well - characters. Adding some battle changing and influential characters to this game could shake things up quite well. The Eldar could have a devastating Avatar of Khaine (strong combat) causing havoc, the Space Marines a strategic genius Chapter Master (buffs), Chaos a powerful and cunning sorcerer (opponent affecting effects) and the Orks of course would be a powerful Warboss (Unit creation).

I'd also just be happy with entirely new races. The colours would be hard though, Necrons would work well as a dark charcoal grey, Tau would be orange, Nids would be a purple/magenta and Astra Militarum would be khaki of course!

Just some ideas.

I agree tyranids don't work with the 'default' objectives given how they probably should play - certainly they shouldn't use cities and manufactorums, for example, and shouldn't capture them.

Tau are fine, as are necrons (lots of cards to generate shields and 'unrout' units would make sense). Astra Militarum would work, too.

I don't particularly want >4 player games, but a choice of races would be nice.

I'll be honest; what I really want to see is something focusing in on the fleet combat. But FFG aren't going to do that whilst Armada is a thing.

I'd go Tau, Dark Eldar, Nids, Necrons, Imperial Guard.

What could be cool is a Nids expansion, where completely new gameplay mechanics could be introduced for them, like in Conquest.

I've always loved the Tau, so I really want to see them.

HI!

it's too early to talk about new materials and expansions about this game but...

i really hope to see an expansion about this new brand game by FFG.

more planet tiles, more combat cards, new races/factions..

in order of personal preference: tyranids, dark elves, necrons, tau, imperial guard.

and last but not least the gain of the 5th and 6th player.

I hope it's not too early to talk about expansions for FS because I feel one is warranted, and the sooner the better! I can't wait to play 6p, and have more Factions in the game!

I think a great option for them would be to release a new edition of the game with four new factions and 12 new tiles.

Say, Astra Militarum, Necrons, Tyranids and Tau.

That way it's a great new product and at the same time it's a fantastic pick up for those who already love the base game and want to mix and match races and titles. I think it should definitely stay at max four players though, the Planning Phase is great and relatively interactive but combat between two players leaves the other two completely out of the loop. I use a house rule where other players can go ahead with non-advance orders while others are doing combat, if they're next to go and have something on top of a stack.

I would also love to see "faction expansion packs" that interact and replace or add to the decks for the standing races. For example I'd love a Space Wolves faction expansion that combined with the Space Marines faction and added a space wolf combat deck (scouts become blood claws, space marines become Grey Hunters etc), a new faction card (the big one, and a dominate ability) as well as thematic new space wolf upgrades. These could be as intensive or as light as they like, for example even just a few simple combat cards and upgrade cards might suffice, or they could go balls to the wall and release a whole new set of light blue figures, (land raider would probably be a Thunderwolf rider or a wolf claw equipped Dreadnought) Or they could just use most of the blue space marine figures and simply add in the dreadnought piece and it's supporting upgrades and combat cards.

Ideas for action expansion packs/replacements

Space Marines - Space Wolves, Blood Angels

Chaos - Thousand Sons, Death Guard

Eldar - Dark Eldar

Orks - Evil Sunz (Speed Freakz),

I think another good idea for an expansion ties in with another aspect of 40k that always does well - characters. Adding some battle changing and influential characters to this game could shake things up quite well. The Eldar could have a devastating Avatar of Khaine (strong combat) causing havoc, the Space Marines a strategic genius Chapter Master (buffs), Chaos a powerful and cunning sorcerer (opponent affecting effects) and the Orks of course would be a powerful Warboss (Unit creation).

I'd also just be happy with entirely new races. The colours would be hard though, Necrons would work well as a dark charcoal grey, Tau would be orange, Nids would be a purple/magenta and Astra Militarum would be khaki of course!

Just some ideas.

All sounds awesome to me Leowulf! Bring it all FFG!...I'll buy it!...I'll play it!

Edited by SFRR

Expansion with additional tiles for variety would be nice and different races of course. However, I would not want to play a 5 or 6 player game. The game can get long enough with just four players (which so far I only have played four players). A 5 player would mean a 4 by 4 board with 5 objectives to collect to win, and 6 would need a special map configuration or 4 by 5 map, with 6 objectives to collect to win. That is an all day affair there. Also, Tyranids, as much as I would love to play them, is not really a race that tends to stay and build up on planets. Would be cool of FFG could come up with special upgrade orders and race abilities so they just move around the board to wipe out planets, as that is what they excellent in.

I'd personally love to see the Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Tau Empire, Nekrons, and Dark Eldar. And I feel that they'd need to come up with new rules for Tyranids and Nekrons, as others have said.

Also, I'd love to see Epic Characters brought in such as Abaddon the Despoiler (Chaos) or Ghazkull Thraka (Orks). It'd be cool if each faction had a their own epic character to weild in battle.

Edited by Raveous

This thread just turned 1 year old! Some kind of hint for planned expansions would be an ideal birthday present.

I'd love to see all the Wh40k major factions in the end. Order of most wanted?

1. Dark Eldar

2. Necron

3. Tyranids

4. Tau

5. Astra (but to be honest, I don't want them at all).

It will probably be like Runewars, with no new factions being added. After all, 40k is not Star Wars.

It will probably be like Runewars, with no new factions being added. After all, 40k is not Star Wars.

That'd be a huge disappointment. Even Chaos in the Old World got an expansion adding a new god, that didn't fit well (from lore point of view). By that time nobody expected that he will actually become a new chaos god. I think at least one race expansion is a safe bet.

Seems like our only hope for expansion is now at Gen Con or Origins. I am assuming this is a game fantasy flight would want to show off when an expansion is announced. Similar to how Return to Hoth with its miniatures was announced.

Hi. Ive been working on a Nid expansion for a few weeks, but it needs playtests.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uN6glmBC9xQv3RcqyHdxVpKQMnpbHJW-Cp8zm16exlI/edit?usp=sharing

Best played with the Eldar figures due to 6 ships, but easily adapted to another faction such as chaos or marines for testing against Eldar.

Please post your playtest feedback to the expansion thread here or on BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1545173/tyranid-faction

I agree tyranids don't work with the 'default' objectives given how they probably should play - certainly they shouldn't use cities and manufactorums, for example, and shouldn't capture them.

Tau are fine, as are necrons (lots of cards to generate shields and 'unrout' units would make sense). Astra Militarum would work, too.

I don't particularly want >4 player games, but a choice of races would be nice.

I'll be honest; what I really want to see is something focusing in on the fleet combat. But FFG aren't going to do that whilst Armada is a thing.

If Eldar can use Orc factories to make Eldar units, then I think you can cut the Tyranids some slack there as well ;-)

I think the important thing with a new faction is to offer new strategies and tactics to employ, loosely inspired by the flavour of the race.

There is one thing that makes me think an expansion will be on the way...Now bare with me here. Somewhere here was a thread that had an official response that an official FFG errata and/or FAQ for the game will be posted in a six months period from launch. And as we all know its not out yet. So i figure that they are waitng to put it out WITH an expansion, since it is bound to have fixed rulebooks that should remedy and answer all the problem rule bugs?

Now that Runebound has received an expansion, it makes it more likely that FS will as well. This means that they will support their non LCG/minis games. Before then, it looked like Asmodee wanted to shift the company to one-off games, LCGs, minis, and Star Wars. Now, the future is brighter.

But with GW reluctant willingness to come back to BG again (well, its attempts have been rather half hearted so far), maybe FFG is waiting before committing to an expansion for this or Warhammer Quest.

There is one thing that makes me think an expansion will be on the way...Now bare with me here. Somewhere here was a thread that had an official response that an official FFG errata and/or FAQ for the game will be posted in a six months period from launch. And as we all know its not out yet. So i figure that they are waitng to put it out WITH an expansion, since it is bound to have fixed rulebooks that should remedy and answer all the problem rule bugs?

Either that or they have completely given up on the game.

I really hope that isn't the case, I really love this game and would love to sink my teeth into some tyranids/tau/necrons/ig/deldar, anything!

I really hope that isn't the case, I really love this game and would love to sink my teeth into some tyranids/tau/necrons/ig/deldar, anything!

Just finished the Tau tonight, so that is the first 4 on your wishlist at board game geek variants forum. No Dark Eldar, sorry :)

i wrote ffg and asked them whats up, give me the expansion already. here is the answer " Anders, we're glad you're enjoying our games! That said, as a rule, we don't discuss our future plans for product lines apart from what we post to our website and to social media. So, essentially, please stay t, but there really are some problems with the ruledfdfdfdned. " My guess is that the game sold a bunch of copies but there really are some seious problems with the rules. So maybe they are waiting to sell out the first production run, update the rules and release it again with updated rules.

And i get it, you cant go out and say woops we released a brokken game we are gonna fix it some time in the future just buy the game as it is now, because of all the stores who still have it in stock.

i wrote ffg and asked them whats up, give me the expansion already. here is the answer " Anders, we're glad you're enjoying our games! That said, as a rule, we don't discuss our future plans for product lines apart from what we post to our website and to social media. So, essentially, please stay t, but there really are some problems with the ruledfdfdfdned. "

Wait, what did they reply? It looks like there was a warp storm which broke up transmission...

i wrote ffg and asked them whats up, give me the expansion already. here is the answer " Anders, we're glad you're enjoying our games! That said, as a rule, we don't discuss our future plans for product lines apart from what we post to our website and to social media. So, essentially, please stay t, but there really are some problems with the ruledfdfdfdned. "

Wait, what did they reply? It looks like there was a warp storm which broke up transmission...

Perhaps even a shadow in the warp.... Aghhh Tyranids!!! :o

What problems could there possibly be with the rules?