Thoughts on Expansion sets

By Papa Midnight, in Forbidden Stars

Yeah, this is definitely too early but I had to ask:

1) Do you think that new planet/system tiles are warranted to expand the game?

2) Which races would you like to see in the next expansion? (Necrons, 'Nids, ??)

3) an expansion that will allow moe players to be added? (6 or more players?)

Your thoughts on other inclusions to be added on.

HI!

it's too early to talk about new materials and expansions about this game but...

i really hope to see an expansion about this new brand game by FFG.

more planet tiles, more combat cards, new races/factions..

in order of personal preference: tyranids, dark elves, necrons, tau, imperial guard.

and last but not least the gain of the 5th and 6th player.

Edited by Jonz

Yes, I agree with most of what you wrote above Jonz. :)

If/When more player slots are added (5 and 6 players, and maybe more!) I do believe that additional planet tiles must be added so that more playing room can be had for all players.

However, I do hope that "Dark Elves" don't get added, because their weaponry might not be enough to overcome armor and Titans. :D (am just teasing)

BTW, I love expansions..... Yup, I am a gaming nerd. :P

If/When more player slots are added (5 and 6 players, and maybe more!) I do believe that additional planet tiles must be added so that more playing room can be had for all players.

I'm torn about this one. Adding a 5th / 6th player could result in the game becoming incredibly long. Adding alternate races able to keep the game capped at 4, on the other hand, is something definitely appealing

The game tiles may have restriction on movement, eg warpspace lanes, etc, which would make more sense in using tiles rather than a static system map. Laying out the tiles in different combinations creates differing pathways along which forces can travel - a bit like the mountains and rivers limiting movement in Mighty Empires.

I would imagine expansions would add new units and factions, though not necessarily more players (eg up to 4 people still play, but one might play Tau rather than Orks).

I think adding more players would be difficult since they've gone for a square board - it would be possible of course, but I think they'd need to add more tiles in order to make it a larger square or even rectangle so fit everyone around it.

As for races, I can easily see most of the other factions like Tau or Necrons being added in without any problem, although I think Tyranids would be more tricky because of their tendency to eat the ground they capture rather than hold it - although if they had a mechanic where each planet they captured lost all of its abilities or something like that, it would certainly motivate the other players into removing them as a threat first

@darksaber,

Are there only 9 planet system tiles in the release, or more?

Secondly, following up on your post above; do you think that the play area is only laid out in a 'square' format, and no other shape is allowed? (Given the few pics that we have do far indicate that each player sorta begins 'in the corner' of each game board, I think)

I could see, imo, a rectangular shaped board, and even odd shaped maps where certain planet/system tiles are laid out to the 'periphery' of the game area.... I need to post s pic of what I'm describing, and I'll do so when I get home. :D

Edited by Papa Midnight

I think there's only 9 tiles @Papa Midnigh. - would make sense for FFG to only include as many as are shown in the photos, however I guess there could be more.

And I'm sure there won't be any rules against different shapes play areas being used, which would make more players possible - and if that's the case, simply adding more factions and rules would make adding more players easy anyway

in the description FFG tell us that the game board will be composed of 12 tiles (double-sided).

in the description FFG tell us that the game board will be composed of 12 tiles (double-sided).

So, the hypothesis of keeping the board square proved wrong (unless we go for a 2*(3^0.5) side)

And I'm sure there won't be any rules against different shapes play areas being used, which would make more players possible - ...

I was thinking something along the lines of the Carcassonne boardgame tiles, such as here: (2/3 of the way down the page)

http://www.cis.gvsu.edu/~kurmasz/GamesWorkshop/

Or, maybe it will be possible to have a very large gaming area, if more than 4 players are allowed, a board such as the one below would be wonderful to game on. (the pattern of distributed tiles, of course)

best-board-game-carcassonne-board.jpg

Edited by Papa Midnight

Hey there,

even though I just bought this game, I already love it and I'm looking forward to see a lot of Expansions.

Still we got the "problem" of downtime the players have, not being involved in battles (like in Starcraft: The Board Game), hope they gonna fix that somehow.

Also, while I was playing 40k, I played as Tyranid. I jhust love these typical Starship-Troopers/Zerg-"Aliens". I would love to see them in game as well, but not as a playable faction. I would prefer seeing them taking over the universe on their own (as NPCs) and sometimes players are "forced" to stop them together, before they continue with their objectives. So in some events "Forbidden Stars" turns into a Coop-Strategy Board Game

That's what also fits to Tyranids, just absorbing all planets. U cannot stop 'em alone, but together u might have a chance to last a little longer, before the next swarm arrives.

What do u think??

I'm torn about this one. Adding a 5th / 6th player could result in the game becoming incredibly long. Adding alternate races able to keep the game capped at 4, on the other hand, is something definitely appealing

Wouldn't force me to play 5 or 6 players though If I had different races, I can play 8 on my TI3 but never have.

I personally think just individual card decks could instantly add a lot more re playability to the game, could turn a chapter into say the 10th company (scouts) or even a totally different chapter.

They very specfically gave each race a sub selection of their race meaning all you would need is a new race card and a new deck set and they could play very differently. (Another craftworld anyone?, Another or clan or chaos or marine chapter without fishing for new more expensive plastic)

Oh and Nids always Nids, I would prefer to see them as more of a flash in the pan, so they take over things very quickly but find it hard to hold stuff. (which is overpowerful due to the game objective)

Edited by Lilikin

Would really love to see Tau, Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Dark Eldar in this order :)

Necron, Tau, Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard in that order for me =)

Edit: Odd reasoning why Necrons are on my top pick (besides being one of my favorite factions) - I have never seen FFG do Necrons yet and I really want to see them tackle how to do them.

As for future factions - I hope they go even wilder on the asymetric balance. Maybe have Imperial Guards have 3 tier 0 units, have the Necron units be generally stronger, but more expensive, the tyranids biomorphing planets, etc.

Edited by LionCub

Hey there,

even though I just bought this game, I already love it and I'm looking forward to see a lot of Expansions.

Still we got the "problem" of downtime the players have, not being involved in battles (like in Starcraft: The Board Game), hope they gonna fix that somehow.

Also, while I was playing 40k, I played as Tyranid. I jhust love these typical Starship-Troopers/Zerg-"Aliens". I would love to see them in game as well, but not as a playable faction. I would prefer seeing them taking over the universe on their own (as NPCs) and sometimes players are "forced" to stop them together, before they continue with their objectives. So in some events "Forbidden Stars" turns into a Coop-Strategy Board Game

That's what also fits to Tyranids, just absorbing all planets. U cannot stop 'em alone, but together u might have a chance to last a little longer, before the next swarm arrives.

What do u think??

I think 5 or 6 player expansions are possible but I agree that with the current state of the downtime in the game, that would probobly do more damage than good. The downtime right now in the game in a 4 player game is tolerable, but only just barely. Experianced players can get through battles quickly and I think over time this will be less of an issue for people but I think 3 to 5 minutes is about as fast as its going to get which is to say its not much but battles can take place in multiple system and its common for two people to have 2-3 battles in the same round (attacks and counter attacks) in particular in the later part of the game.

I'm not sure what they can do to address this, its such a fundemental part of the game that I don't see there being much in the way of expediting it mechanically.

I do think that they could design alternative races and I suspect we will see new races coming onboard as well as factions for existing races. You can probobly expect some new cards and optional variants in the game, that is largely par for the course for FFG.

My hope however is that they create some team driven variants where two players fight for the same side, I think that could make for some interesting alternatives.

As it stands right now, Forbidden Stars is already a great game, worthy of any fan of the 40k universe's collection and so as far as I'm concerned FFG gets an A+ for bringing yet another awsome game into their library of awsome games. I know there is this sentiment out there that FFG is too corporate and too greedy but I don't really see it that way, they create, we consume and its a good relationship in particualr given the very high level of quality we get from them. Sure the hobby is not cheap, but dollar for dollar I get more out of my FFG board games than I get out of anything else so to me the expense of expansions and many great games FFG produces is well worth it.

Hoping very strongly for Tau faction. Not because it's my favorite faction (maybe third or fourth favorite faction), but because a friend of mine is an avid Tau fanatic and with the inclusion of that faction I know I could get her to play anytime =D

Tyranids and Necrons are my top picks for new factions, but I'd rather have Tau over them for her sake.

As I'm not yet experienced enough to speak intelligently on questions 1 and 3, I'm only going to adress question 2.

The only race I'd like to see added to the game are Tyranids.

- I'm make their game pieces purple.

- I'd give them a massive pool of tier 0 troops, with plenty of ways to get them into play fast and cheap.

- I'd give them a very limited pool of tiers 1+.

- I'd have combat cards key on higher-tier troops to grant bonuses to tier 0 troops to reflect synposis.

- I'd give them ways to easily generate tons and tons of reinforcement tokens.

- With so many ways to generate cheap or free tier 0 troops and reinforcment tokens, I'd consider having them be automatically destroyed if routed.

- I'd consider giving them an alterante win condition (such as take over any four planets containing an opponet's buildings) if it could at all be balanced.

That's a cool idea, maybe +6 t0, -2 t1, -1 t2, -1 t3? Only issue I see being the win condition.

Tyranids just do not make sense in Forbidden Stars. They'd have to develop a totally new way of them to pay - perhaps eating planets. They don't strike in and take objectives like the other races.

Tau and Necrons do, however. Both would fit thematically and wouldn't require a huge overhaul of how the game works.

Tyranids just do not make sense in Forbidden Stars. They'd have to develop a totally new way of them to pay - perhaps eating planets. They don't strike in and take objectives like the other races.

Why, specifically? Planets just give bio material equal to the amount of credits...meaning money works normally. Actually I can not think of a single reason why the basic mechanics would need to be different for nids other than maybe fluffy reasons. This is just me though and I might be missing somethig.

If the issue is that they should destroy cities/bastions/forges instead of capturing them, it can easily be remedied by giving them "biocredits" when they capture the planet, and removing the building. Same when the planet is taken from them (it would be as in XCOM : you'd sell allien "parts" on the black market to fund your war effort).

Why, specifically? Planets just give bio material equal to the amount of credits...meaning money works normally. Actually I can not think of a single reason why the basic mechanics would need to be different for nids other than maybe fluffy reasons. This is just me though and I might be missing somethig.

Because tyranids strip planets bare and move on. At least, that's what I assume he means. The same goes for objectives. Their only objective is biomass.

Well....you could say the objective is a biomass rich planet :) or a hive mind or something in those lines. I would be more worried about structures, since they tend to not build or have a need for any

Nids do indeed "build" while harvesting a planet.

While the harvest is being conducted, large spires build up into the upper atmosphere to transport biomass to the awaiting ships. These are then themselves consumed as the harvest is finished.

Despite what some of the novels would lead you to believe. The defeat of an army does not mean the instant death of the world. The conquering nids could still require time to finish the consumption of all wildlife, or defeating local forces not represented by the main game.

I could explain how I would attempt it, but I think nids could easily be implimented with little to no changes to game play, or could go the other route and introduce a unique race which plays entierly different from the others.

Necrons could also be given a unique set of mechanics.

It would make sense that tau show up late to the party, they are quite slow when it comes to space travel.

Dark eldar would imo be too similar to eldar, but to be fair I know little about them

Either way, I really want to see some more to this game.