WOOMP!.. there it is!.. F&D Core.

By Atraangelis, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

First rule of making a statement: never start with "am I the only who <insert something negative here>?" It implies you think you are unique which in matters of taste no one is. ;)

Anyway, I like both the cover and the screen but did not care for the art pieces in the article. You can't win them all and, like you, on the whole I feel the artwork for the SW line has been stellar.

First rule of making a statement: never start with "am I the only who <insert something negative here>?" It implies you think you are unique which in matters of taste no one is. ;)

Anyway, I like both the cover and the screen but did not care for the art pieces in the article. You can't win them all and, like you, on the whole I feel the artwork for the SW line has been stellar.

Am I the only one who wants to make a comment about this comment in this manner?

:P

I hoped the wink was enough to take out any unimplied nastiness.

I hoped the wink was enough to take out any unimplied nastiness.

Of course it did. It also gave me the comfort in knowing you could take a joke in return. :)

Oh, I am the bud of many jokes!

More the bud light.

Nice art is always nice, though if you want your game to sell more than five copies over three years, it's kinda de rigeur now.

I'm more concerned with whether or not the text is legible, because with the first two core rulebooks I had a hell of a time making out much of the text. Font was too small, color too light to provide proper contrast against the background graphics of the page. I hope they fix that - 'course I know there isn't much chance they will. Maybe someone will remember when it comes time for 2nd Edition.

Oh, and remember folks, if you own either EotE or AoR and buy F+D, you're paying needlessly for about 200 pages of rules again....enjoy.

Oh, and remember folks, if you own either EotE or AoR and buy F+D, you're paying needlessly for about 200 pages of rules again....enjoy.

I don't think of it as needless. I like to do what little I can to support a company that makes products I love. I also prefer this standalone method they've taken for these books, I don't need to purchase anything else than the one in order to play, and if that causes overlap then so be it.

More the bud light.

Butt... **** it! :)

Yeah, and also FFG kills kittens!

That reminds me of a certain picture involving Domo and a couple of kittens...

I don't think of it as needless. I like to do what little I can to support a company that makes products I love. I also prefer this standalone method they've taken for these books, I don't need to purchase anything else than the one in order to play, and if that causes overlap then so be it.

I am all for supporting a company. I did after all buy AoR with its needless repetition of the core rules after all. I also bought two GM screens that say the same thing even if their accompanying pamphlets don't.

Also, I think if we lined up 500 people who were Star Wars FFG RPG enthusiasts and asked "So, you bought one of the Core Books, did you buy just the one and think/believe you had a complete toolbox to create an authentic SW experience?" I'm sure we'd get some people who said yes, but I doubt that number would break 100. FFG split up the game into three parts, which means if you want to provide a fully scaffold-ed go if it, you need all three, and I don't mind them having done that. When it comes to the Force Users I agree they shouldn't be treated as just any other character and should get their own book. But I'm sorry, by the time you buy all three of those books you've essentially wasted enough cash to buy two dice sets, and that's not insignificant.

Other companies have published core rules and then books built off them, and while folks express appreciation at the overlap, I have a funny feeling that if you presented them with a choice between this overlap and an option where they could buy a Core Rulebook for 20 bucks and then whatever splats they want for 30, I suspect most would choose the latter because it makes more sense doing it that way.

Yeah, and also FFG kills kittens!

Yeah, cuz that's really what I said...easy pseudo-humor much?

I was going for snarky but I’ll settle for easy-pseudo. It beats sarcastic “enjoy”s anyday.

Well lets be honest, it is only needless if:

a. you are interested in all lines.

b. you like the idea of one core rulebook and supplements better.

c. you think that route would have been cheaper (it wouldn’t have been by the way and your math is way off).

d. you want to carry around multiple larger books to each game.

e. If you somehow thought the subtitle Edge of the Empire or the Subtitle Age of Rebellion implied you would get “the full Star Wars experience".

e. you would have any idea what is actually in the crb for Force and Destiny, but you don’t.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

I am all for supporting a company. I did after all buy AoR with its needless repetition of the core rules after all. I also bought two GM screens that say the same thing even if their accompanying pamphlets don't.

Also, I think if we lined up 500 people who were Star Wars FFG RPG enthusiasts and asked "So, you bought one of the Core Books, did you buy just the one and think/believe you had a complete toolbox to create an authentic SW experience?" I'm sure we'd get some people who said yes, but I doubt that number would break 100. FFG split up the game into three parts, which means if you want to provide a fully scaffold-ed go if it, you need all three, and I don't mind them having done that. When it comes to the Force Users I agree they shouldn't be treated as just any other character and should get their own book. But I'm sorry, by the time you buy all three of those books you've essentially wasted enough cash to buy two dice sets, and that's not insignificant.

Other companies have published core rules and then books built off them, and while folks express appreciation at the overlap, I have a funny feeling that if you presented them with a choice between this overlap and an option where they could buy a Core Rulebook for 20 bucks and then whatever splats they want for 30, I suspect most would choose the latter because it makes more sense doing it that way.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what the majority prefer, but I think there's merit to them providing standalone rulebooks in the way that they did. If I wanted to "provide a fully scaffold-ed go of it," I'd need to buy all the splatbooks anyway.

The current system allowed me to only pick up AoR if I were only interested in playing as a rebel. I appreciate that. I also think with each book that I've purchased from them, overlapping info or not, I definitely got my money's worth. If you do not, then we can just agree to disagree.

Edited by Holzy

Don't feed the troll guys.

He's brought this up before and doesn't care about your opinion, just your reaction.

Don't feed the troll guys.

He's brought this up before and doesn't care about your opinion, just your reaction.

Noted!

It comes up with every new beta or core rule book. Next I expect a thread about FFG not offering a PDF version.

It comes up with every new beta or core rule book. Next I expect a thread about FFG not offering a PDF version.

I'm sure this portion of the forums would feel left out of somebody didn't unearth that long-dead horse :rolleyes:

I'm more concerned with whether or not the text is legible, because with the first two core rulebooks I had a hell of a time making out much of the text. Font was too small, color too light to provide proper contrast against the background graphics of the page. I hope they fix that - 'course I know there isn't much chance they will. Maybe someone will remember when it comes time for 2nd Edition.

Unless you have some vision disorder that gives you complications the print is just fine. Maybe better glasses might work? Update your prescription?

OMFG!!! I had no idea! Why? Why has no one ever pointed out that some of the rules are the same in each Core book. Those bastards! Could they not have done what they did with WH40K line and made different rules to make it worth my while? I'm so glad you were here to inform me of this.

Unless you have some vision disorder that gives you complications the print is just fine. Maybe better glasses might work? Update your prescription?

OMFG!!! I had no idea! Why? Why has no one ever pointed out that some of the rules are the same in each Core book. Those bastards! Could they not have done what they did with WH40K line and made different rules to make it worth my while? I'm so glad you were here to inform me of this.

Actually that was mentioned by several people with vision difficulties that the thin print was hard to read. Heck, I just have glasses and it sometimes becomes muddied.

The better choice would have been to use a more readable font from a accessibility standpoint. I suspect that the art department won out.

I'm sure this portion of the forums would feel left out of somebody didn't unearth that long-dead horse :rolleyes:

At this point, I suspect the horse is either undead or a force ghost. :P

At this point, I suspect the horse is either undead or a force ghost. :P

"Ben? Ben is that you?"

"Nayyy!"

Edited by kaosoe

Actually that was mentioned by several people with vision difficulties that the thin print was hard to read. Heck, I just have glasses and it sometimes becomes muddied.

The better choice would have been to use a more readable font from a accessibility standpoint. I suspect that the art department won out.

As I said, unless you have certain vision disorders. You can't please everyone. Should they produce large print versions for all those with vision disorders? You must draw a line somewhere and while I feel for you if you end up on that other side of the line, that's just the way life is. If it was endemic problem it might get resolved, but not likely otherwise.

As I said, unless you have certain vision disorders. You can't please everyone. Should they produce large print versions for all those with vision disorders? You must draw a line somewhere and while I feel for you if you end up on that other side of the line, that's just the way life is. If it was endemic problem it might get resolved, but not likely otherwise.

He isn't asking for large print, just a thicker font. Not so thin.

Eh, I'm getting older and sometimes it's a pain to read books in dimmer light. So all things being equal, if they can cater to the older and more blind set, the better!