WOOMP!.. there it is!.. F&D Core.

By Atraangelis, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Of the three game lines, Force and Destiny was the one I was least interested in. My personal preference for games to run and play would lean toward the fringe and the Galactic Civil War. I have to say, though, that today's announcement with the newly unveiled cover and interior art is really, really cool. I'll pick this book up when it comes out and I expect one or more of the players in my group will get a big kick out of it!

That's what i am dreading a little. I have managed to hold off the saber fools for a while now with EOE and AOR, but i fear this book may rile up the power gamers in my group!

Any how, insta buy simply for the content alone.

I would have put money on Obi-wan as one of the two characters on the cover, but after that it was a toss-up between Vader (obvious pairing but he'd be the odd character out as the villain) or Luke from RotJ (the other Jedi main character, but also a repeat from Age of Rebellion's cover).

I've gotten gradually excited over the past year for F&D. I wasn't initially as keen on using this core book compared to the other two but I've got some ideas on the back burner for running an all-Jedi campaign.

BEAUTIFUL cover.

And having Vader on the cover makes total sense, since you can play a light-side character or a dark-side character as a PC.

Yay! I don't have any force users in my group but it will be nice to have complete access to the universe.

Love the art, this looks great!

That is a dead sexy cover!

BEAUTIFUL cover.

And having Vader on the cover makes total sense, since you can play a light-side character or a dark-side character as a PC.

I think Yoda would have been nice, instead of Vader. If you look at the other books, it's all been 'the good guys'... so it would have fit in with the rest. :)

Nonetheless, very cool cover.

That is a dead sexy cover!

Yeah, it's nice. I'm more interested, though, in the awesome pic of the Mirialan standing watch over the city. It looks like Batman or The Arrow, which is a cool idea for a Force-sensitive character in the Rebellion era.

That's what i am dreading a little. I have managed to hold off the saber fools for a while now with EOE and AOR, but i fear this book may rile up the power gamers in my group!

Having played and run the Beta, lightsabers are no longer the god weapons they were in those two books. The basic lightsaber (which a starting PC can't even get!) has a much lower damage rating, no Vicious ranks, and a slightly higher Crit Rating. It still has Breach 1 so it's nasty against minions, but then so is a heavy blaster rifle with autofire, and that will draw far less attention to a PC than brandishing a lightsaber would.

Again, going by the Beta, but FFG managed to do a pretty good job of preventing the lightsaber wielders from completely dominating the table, especially when compared to WEG or Saga Edition.

Truly, a classic.

A must have for me.

Having played and run the Beta, lightsabers are no longer the god weapons they were in those two books. The basic lightsaber (which a starting PC can't even get!) has a much lower damage rating, no Vicious ranks, and a slightly higher Crit Rating. It still has Breach 1 so it's nasty against minions, but then so is a heavy blaster rifle with autofire, and that will draw far less attention to a PC than brandishing a lightsaber would.

Again, going by the Beta, but FFG managed to do a pretty good job of preventing the lightsaber wielders from completely dominating the table, especially when compared to WEG or Saga Edition.

Plus, if the article is any indication, Force-users are going to need to tread carefully if they wish to avoid falling to the dark side. Good GMing will be all about counterbalancing the power level of these characters with the restrictions they will want to place on their own behavior.

I don't much care for this part of the GM Kit's section:

"The GM Kit also features detailed guidelines for knight-level play, in which PCs start an adventure with advanced capabilities, and for crafting custom lightsabers from materials that characters may encounter in their adventures."

Sounds a little too much like they're cutting the Beta's lightsaber crystal attachments section and the Knight level blurb to toss into the back of the GM Kit - as opposed to just going into more detail on Knight Level and expanding on a varied sources of lightsaber attachment options (synthetic crystals, those cremation crystals in Suns of Fortune, Jewel of Yavin). I'm going to end up buying the GM Kit anyways so it won't matter much to me, but it'd still be nice for more content for everyone instead of existing content being re-shuffled to bring in more purchases; so, hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Lathrop

I was one of the writers on this one, the first CRB I've had a chance to work on. None of my content was in the beta, though. Looking forward to seeing what choices they made with the art in my section. The most fun I had working on this project was actually a certain sidebar in the introduction. I'm curious to see if that made it to print in its entirety.

I was one of the writers on this one, the first CRB I've had a chance to work on. None of my content was in the beta, though. Looking forward to seeing what choices they made with the art in my section. The most fun I had working on this project was actually a certain sidebar in the introduction. I'm curious to see if that made it to print in its entirety.

Fun project, wasn't it? Do you remember that time [REDACTED] came up? ;)

For the fanbase at large, I only did material for the beta version of the core, unless they're keeping Lost Knowledge in the final version for some reason, which I am fairly certain they did not. It was my only contribution to the CRB, sadly, but I did do all the announced material for the GM Kit, though, and since they actually discuss it in the announcement article, I can confirm that much (very vaguely, of course--I don't know what my drafts ended up looking like, and couldn't share real details yet even if I did).

Very excited about this announcement--the GM kit was a hugely fun project to work on, and I look forward to people seeing it.

That featured artwork....*salivates*....where is that artbook, FFG? I WILL MAKE IT RAIN FOR AN ARTBOOK!

LOL Awww Knight level and customs sabers are in the GM screen....

I mean I was pretty much planning on getting that one, but there will be some knashing of teeth....

That featured artwork....*salivates*....where is that artbook, FFG? I WILL MAKE IT RAIN FOR AN ARTBOOK!

YES!

Edited by Ghostofman

Hmm, RocketPropelledGrenade may have accidently answered the question about the rules in the GM's screen as opposed to the Beta book. He only worked on the adventure in the beta book, but did all the announced material in the GM's screen. This leads me to believe that the custom sabre and knight level rules in the screen are new.

For all the enthusiasme about the art work I have to admit it doesn't quite do it for me. I dislike the first three pieces. In fact the saber fight is probably the least interesting piece I have seen thus far and the giant statues seems to have professor Snape waving a wand about, but after that and the cover things are on the up again also the near black of the cover has really grown on me. I have no doubt I will love the art in the book though.

Looking forward to this. Finally the system will be complete.

Hmm, RocketPropelledGrenade may have accidently answered the question about the rules in the GM's screen as opposed to the Beta book. He only worked on the adventure in the beta book, but did all the announced material in the GM's screen. This leads me to believe that the custom sabre and knight level rules in the screen are new.

That was me phrasing things in the most NDA-friendly way possible, rather than accidental word choice. Still can't confirm anything about a final product, but I can mention things I worked on in the same level of detail that is available to the public about them.

Edited by RocketPropelledGrenade

..Finally the system will be complete...

Why can i only read this sounding like the Emperor in my head???

..Finally the system will be complete...

Why can i only read this sounding like the Emperor in my head???

Yesss.....let your greed and avarice for a game book swell...and your journey to the dark side will be complete.

(Now you have me hearing him)

Am I the only one who thinks that the cover art and gm-screen art is the worst yet?

EotE had a great screen, AoR an ok one, and this one is mostly dissapointing.

I do love the art in general in the games, so I am sure the rest of the artwork inside the book will be great.

Also a definite must buy book. I have a player in my group who has been chomping at the chance to play a jedi for ages now.