Southern California (unofficial) Regionals, Sat. August 1 at Gameology!

By ARMed_PIrate, in UFS Fan Announcements

Tournament will be ran until it ends on saturday correct? Or is there a chance for top8 being on sunday? Not getting a hotel room if i don't have to.

This is just a 1day event correct?

Ontario airport is very close for those who can find cheap flights. (Gameology is about a 15-min. drive or less.) By the by, wharaboots are ye comin' from, Smazz?

The tournament will run until it ends Saturday night (including Top 8). It is a 1-day tourney. Depending on how the store managers are feeling, and depending on how smoothly things are running, we may have to have the standard time limits during Top 8 rather than letting matches go on forever. (I'm of a mind that the format for Top 8 should be identical to the format of Swiss anyway, i.e., 50-min. best 2-of-3.)

As for hotels, I've already offered to put Arch up at my place. I'll ask around and see if anyone's willing to house you for an evening or two; I might even have room for one more person (though if you can bring your own sleeping bag or air matress, that would help). I'll need to talk to my roommate.

Arch - I still have your number (assuming it hasn't changed since the last big GMI tourney). I'll be expecting you.

-----------------------------------------------------

New question:

For a sizeable event, I (and I'm sure Mat, and I'm sure all of the players) would like some reliable software for managing Swiss (and ideally the Top 8 as well). I've heard horror stories about the new FFG software (and we don't have it). Does anyone have a suggestion?

I will be rolling down with Rockstar. We are coming from the Bay Area (I live in Santa Cruz). We will probably end up driving, kind of got too late to get plane tickets and that ends up being a PITA not having a car, etc.

You can for the most part cut the top8 at time but you sort of have to play out the final match. Even if it involves us going to dennys and finishing up a game over some pancakes (which are superior to waffles, no matter what you may have heard)

ARMed_PIrate said:

New question:

For a sizeable event, I (and I'm sure Mat, and I'm sure all of the players) would like some reliable software for managing Swiss (and ideally the Top 8 as well). I've heard horror stories about the new FFG software (and we don't have it). Does anyone have a suggestion?

My playgroup uses the FFG software everyweek in our trounys, and it runs just fine. it takes a bit of time to register each player, but it is not too bad. Once it is all set up, seeding each round and figuring out who gets the bye each turn (if needed) is all done quickly and with no hassle. After each round is over, it will even rank all players and give you a current standing of all.
I think the only problem we have had with the system, is we sometimes have to round down one person for an extra round...and the system ALWAYS rounds down the same person for us XD Other then that, the system runs great.

I don't have problems with the FFG software, what few times I have used it.

AP: My phone number is still the same. I'm going to need an address that I can input into my GPS system so that I may track you down and crash on your couch or whatever. You can email me at [email protected]. It's probably the most efficient method of sorting this all out.

What do you guys think about Diversity?

It's been done for so long now, and it makes Top 8's more interesting, that it's hard to pass up.

On the other hand, I'd like to think UFS is finally at a point where we don't need it, especially in the SoCal meta, where everyone's set on playing something wild and different.

Shajir (in his parting post) mentioned how much he hates diversity, because it discourages folks from experimenting with characters when someone else might be playing a better (or at least more tested) version of the same character. It's a fair point.

Should we keep diversity? Or just let everyone run their very best (even if we end up with 3 Astrids in Top 8)?

Thanks in advance!

I personally have no problem with the rule. And if SoCal is playing the wild and different characters, then we don't even have to worry about it even if the rule is in play. So I say keep it in effect.

Have to agree with Cronos. The Meta is so open and varied right, as evidenced by the turn out of michigans regionals (i think only Siegfried was played by more than one player) that Diversity shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And, seriously, idk about anyone else, but i always showing up to tournaments playing a character with the belief that no else, should they be playing the same one as i, has built it better and nor could they play it better than i. gui%C3%B1o.gif

ARMed_PIrate said:

What do you guys think about Diversity?

It's been done for so long now, and it makes Top 8's more interesting, that it's hard to pass up.

On the other hand, I'd like to think UFS is finally at a point where we don't need it, especially in the SoCal meta, where everyone's set on playing something wild and different.

Shajir (in his parting post) mentioned how much he hates diversity, because it discourages folks from experimenting with characters when someone else might be playing a better (or at least more tested) version of the same character. It's a fair point.

Should we keep diversity? Or just let everyone run their very best (even if we end up with 3 Astrids in Top 8)?

Thanks in advance!

I'd just like to comment that Shajir's post about how diversity discourages people from experimenting from characters is a load of bollocks.

Major tournaments aren't a place to be "experimenting" with a deck. You bring the best thing that you know how to play and you play it diversity be damned. If anything, diversity encourages people to experiment more at the level where it really matters, in local tournaments and around the kitchen table. High level tournaments are always going to be cut throat, where the best decks running the best cards making the best plays will consistently top 8. That's the very nature of the high end tournament play in any card game.

The only thing diversity does is it potentially "hides" problematic decks from the unobserved eye. BUT GUESS WHAT if a deck is good enough you can usually run a different character card and slide right around diversity on the strength of the deck OH HAI SANDBAGGING.

Shajir's post made no sense.

so i got released from the team unfotunately and am out of a job for the moment.... however this means i can attend the event unless another opportunity comes up. So Yay!

O man do i have my work cu out for me though, I just looked at the new bans and wow....

Just wondering...i'm down in LA this weekend visiting friends. Any UFS games happening in the area this weekend? I'm bringing my decks and trades just in case.

Holla...

NintendoMan said:

so i got released from the team unfotunately and am out of a job for the moment.... however this means i can attend the event unless another opportunity comes up. So Yay!

O man do i have my work cu out for me though, I just looked at the new bans and wow....

Sucks that you got released dude.

BUT AT LEAST I GET TO FINALLY MEET YOU NOW.
JESUS IT'S BEEN HOW LONG SINCE WE'VE SAID WE OWED EACH OTHER A GAME?!

Archimedes said:

NintendoMan said:

Sucks that you got released dude.

BUT AT LEAST I GET TO FINALLY MEET YOU NOW.
JESUS IT'S BEEN HOW LONG SINCE WE'VE SAID WE OWED EACH OTHER A GAME?!

hahahaha way too long man... itll be good.

sadly us on weekends isnt exactly existant around here.... Frank and Sons might have some games going on sat from 10-5 but they are just pickup games.

If your in town on tues thats when gameology has there throwdowns

Well I'm only going to be in town for the day of the tournament, then it's back to Arizona for me.

RockStar said:

Just wondering...i'm down in LA this weekend visiting friends. Any UFS games happening in the area this weekend? I'm bringing my decks and trades just in case.

Holla...

We play at Comic cult every sunday so if you want to come and hang with us feel free =3

Solstice said:

RockStar said:

Holla...

We play at Comic cult every sunday so if you want to come and hang with us feel free =3

Hey man, thanks for the info, but i didn't see it until 6pm yesterday evening. Next time...

I my...this is about 1 week away...o my...this should be fun...o yea...fun HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (but seriously looking forward this.)

All of the votes within our playgroup (and here on the boards) were to keep Diversity in effect, so Diversity will be in effect.

I've decided to raffle off the Darkstalkers Graphic File amongst the players who do not make 1st place.

I will be running a Legacy Highlander Themed Jigs & Reels tournament (single-game rounds, using the decks I provide) during Top 8, for players who don't make Top 8. This was a big hit at GMI's last major tournament. It wasn't Highlander that time, but that just means I've fit in more signature cards this time around. The winner will receive a Highlander DVD. I don't know which one, as I haven't picked it up yet.

The above-mentioned decks are still missing a few signature cards, generally on the UR rarity level. Show up early and bring your legacy URs, and legacy characters for trade. I won't give you a great deal, 'cause with 60+ decks I don't have any great trades left over. But I'll trade you some similar rarity cards, and I might have some change to spare, too. (;

Have I mentioned that it sounds like this will be official? We might actually get the UFS life counters, etc. No guarantees, but FFG has made contact with the store and with Mat.

Hey guys just confirming that me and Kevin are definitely going to be there saturday (This is Matt by the way.) Would have told you that at the gameology today but my car decided that it would explode and not work while I was being a terrorist.

By the way what time is the tournament exactly?

Registration at noon. Tourney starts about 1pm.

So, was this ever made offical?

Also, what time does the shop itself open up?

Saturday store hours are 11:00am - 9:00pm

I doubt they'll open early. Hopefully they'll be willing to stay open a bit late while we take care of business. Let's be sure to buy lots of stuff to make it worth their while. (;

Also, it IS an official tournament, and FFG promised to have the support there in time.

(If there is a postal fail, I will collect addresses and make sure everyone gets their support sent to them.)