Jedi vs regular characters

By miishelle, in General Discussion

Space prom is a magical night in every mando pistolier's life.

Edited by kaosoe

Hope so, but isn't he done after this first season? Which is presumably already done? (Though we have a few eps yet)

Nope, it was Greg Weissman that left after the first season wrapped, moving on to do a Kanan-centric comic series about his time as a Padawan.

Dave Filoni is still a major part of the show, and probably will be for however long it runs.

Good news. Thanks!

I haven't heard that. I know that the Rebels show is on a ticking clock since they're already planning on another show to supplant Rebels in the year following Ep VII release.

I've heard that rumor too. Not sure how much to believe it.

The commercial count for Rebels does seem to suggest they at least think it's putting eyes in front of screens. And eyes = money.

On the other hand by this time next year we'll probably all be arguing over exactly what bonuses a saber-claymore gives and how to stat the new model x-wing. Prime time to launch a series based on that same material while we're all excited...

I think it really comes down to :

1. Do they think the world can't handle 2 SW cartoons at the same time?
  2. How long does it take to create and produce a new season?
  3. Can Filoni not manage 2 series, or not delegate management of 1?
  4. How do the profits compare to the costs? Would a second series be self-sustaining?
  5. These shows get darker/more mature with the expected audience base. Is there a concern that a 2-season older Rebels would result in too much Watching up of the younger series initial target audience? (IE: Would the same viewer learning how to spell with BB-8, then watch Rebels the following night showing Sabine and Ezra kanoodling in the Phantom after Space-Prom, and more importantly: would the viewers mom care?)

Dave no longer wanted to do the Clone wars with out George. That is why he stopped. George retired.

Rebels will end when it gets nominated for an emmy.

More than "specific specs" I'm looking for extra rules or concrete Talents. My mind is open to other interpretations too ;)

NPC rules are the closest thing to a Jedi on my head.

You do know the reason why the NPC versions behave the way they do is to lighten the number of things a GM has to keep track of. Since they have to handle multiple characters. Right? So likely we will never see a full jedi for a player character behave in that manner.

Right. That probably can be the reason why I don't spect so much to see that "full Jedi" I mentioned. Seems more like a "special guest" NPC or a "Final Boss" on the game to me.

Full jedi already exist though. You just have some weird requirement...

Again, please, different point of view of way to see things doesn't mean that is a weird point of view... well sometimes yes XD

As I said, and without elevate Jedi to "saber gods", they are mortal, I know it, the fall against simple battle droids as the Clone Troopers do, I'm fully aware of that, BUT, I think that those specs need something more I don't mean +50 Damage, Radiation Immunity or they can fly or throw moons as Incidental XD Just saying some extra refinement with the Force that just a "guy with the Force Senstive tree" can fo the same just purchasing all the Powers trees.

Not sure, some talents that "refine" (not empower) their Force Powers. If you ask me, I would reduce or cap powers like Move, the biggest thing he have seen are 22 meters vehicles from Confederation, I don't want to use Alderanian Corvettes as usual throwing weapon XD But yes som extra refinement like the "On the Edge" talent but without be a "so grayish" or "on the line" Force use.

Refinement, not extra power. Also maybe something extra that gives them that "awareness" (or maybe is just a GM thing).

This is my idea how a trully Jedi would be or evolve. Not sure if I explained properly.

Once we start seeing career books with their signature abilities for F&D careers you may be somewhat mollified. I'll be interested to see what the devs come up with to make those careers more unique. Being that all the careers are Force-centric in F&D, we may see signature abilities that can modify Force use in some manner. Possibly a "build up" ability for Force points that has been discussed before on the boards. Or other ideas. We may be lucky enough to have a F&D career book by the end of the year depending on development.

Jedi are easy to kill you just have to come prepared to do it.

Weapon Selection is key.

Blasters are suicide, but slug throwers are much more effective especially with Cortosis weave or Phrink slugs:)

Poison, Land mines, Gas, Sonic weapons and flame throwers are excellent choices.

Honestly just ask HK-47 he is an expert at murdering them.

I just introduced the Force and Destiny Beta rules to my game last month. The current game I've run has been ongoing for nearly a year now. The core group started with Edge of the Empire and we picked up Age of Rebellion a bit late. The main stayers has been a Rodian Smuggler and a famed Wookie Hired Gun which have connected the game.

One of the things I ADORE about Force and Destiny is that Force Users are on the same level as everyone else. My wife is playing a Mando Bounty Hunter and is not scared at all of the Lightsaber wielders in the group.

When we picked up Force and Destiny, we had two people joining in and one who had just lost his character (an assassin droid who just kept making careless decisions because he was sure "droids don't die"); so three people made force-users. I even allowed them to start at Knight-level play.

They all put three points in Lightsaber skill and raised their associated stat for the lightsaber (according to their stance specialization) to 3 or 4. They each had a basic lightsaber.

They were not subtle and sliced through quite a few stormtroopers. They were rolling enough dice to recover strain from their reflects. They are also skilled narrative players. I'm sure I botched some rules like I always do or forgot something that I could have done to make it more troublesome, but for the most part, they were extremely powerful compared to most enemies they fought.

We had a would-be Sith decide he wanted to boss around the other party members after that, as he thought he was unstoppable. The Wookie knocked him on his butt and cooled his jets rather easily. They were about 50 points behind with basic gear while, the group who has been adventuring for a year had gear specialized for them. Might have been a bit unfair, but that's how I run my games and everyone understood that. Even so, take 50 points off the wookie and he'd have still won most likely. If not, the Mando Bounty Hunter who had just under the same experience, but went with credits and was geared with a heavy blaster Rifle would have fried him, as her skill was a lot better than a minion trooper.

Force-users are impressive, but they aren't instantly better than non-force users. It feels like some people expect smugglers, soldiers, and force users to play off different levels of play, which I don't agree with. This is the Star Wars game I've wanted since WEG's version. My players love it, the "jedi" and muggles alike.

The only "old republic reference" that I remember is Darth Bane, no other references to actual Legends material on that way.

Well, I lied XD The number of Jedi is told in Rebels Recoon (10.000 Jedi)

Even how old seems the Jedi Order or the Republic itself seems confusing. Stormtroopers aren't clones, and lightsaber color comes from "inner aura" nor cristal colot itself.

Hope I helped :)

color comes from the crystal. Its color is set by the person who attuned it. once set it is permanent and is not a conscious choice of the attuner. .

Yep, color is picked on the attuning seems, but in that moment the colour is settled based on databank. Or I readed it wrong?

http://www.starwars.com/databank/lightsaber-crystal

A lightsaber crystal is colorless until first attuned and connected to a Jedi -- at which times it glows either blue or green, or in some rare instances, another shade. From that point on, it retains that hue.

I read the thread and it appears im going in a completely different direction than other people want.

I WANT Jedi to be better than mundane people. Not in everything of course. But i'd like that if an enemy has a lightsaber, then the best effective counter is another lightsaber, not more blasters or melee fighters.
I want saber duels in the game not be interrupted by other characters, non force users, throwing grenades and being more effective than the jedis.

In my game, being a jedi/force user is a serious thing. You don't get to play one if you haven't read half of wikipedia and you havent proved that you know what you are playing. Im nerdy like that.

Plus, you dont get to use the lightsaber that much, cause imperials are going to orbit bomb the planet you are on. So when you DO use it, you should be powerful enough, at least against other lightsaber wielders.

How can i achieve that? How about allowing easier modding of lightsabers? That would however result in more effective "mundane" performance for lightsaber users. I dont want that. I want lightsabers and jedis slightly more effective than other weapons/characters against mundane threats, but essential against other lightsaber wielders.

Well, according to the movies, the best way not to have your lightsaber duel interrupted is to have it away from everyone else. That's what happens in, well, all six movies. Otherwise it doesn't matter how effective or ineffective it is, shooting the guy trying to attack your friend is a better option than standing around and watching.

I guess the first question you really need to ask is, what do you want Lightsaber users to do that they currently can't?

Well, according to the movies, the best way not to have your lightsaber duel interrupted is to have it away from everyone else. That's what happens in, well, all six movies. Otherwise it doesn't matter how effective or ineffective it is, shooting the guy trying to attack your friend is a better option than standing around and watching.

I guess the first question you really need to ask is, what do you want Lightsaber users to do that they currently can't?

Yes, im planning on physically separating people who need to have duels like the movies.

The question is hard to answer: i haven't had any lightsabers at the moment. But the players are really anticipating the moment they get one, so i want them to powerful weapons.

Based on what i've read, im terrified the first time a sith/inquisitor shows up, everything is going to be very anticlimatic.

I want lightsaber users/force users to be the only ones that can effectively engage other lightsabers wielders, unless the mundanes have very special ordnance like missiles or thermal detonators.

I dont want a lightsaber that hits for 9 damage while blasters rifles hit for 10, with similar chance to hit.

Maybe its simply a matter of giving enough ranks of Reflect to the enemy lightsaber users....

So basicly, you want holding a lightsaber to make someone immune to blasters. Reflect is your basic answer, particularly with how it stacks with advisory. Also, make a point to describe any misses or disadvantage as the inquisitor knocking the blasts out of the way with his lightsaber. You could also have lightsabers grant ranged defense if you really wanted to. Just be careful to make sure your non-jedi still have something to do. Second fiddle gets boring after a while.

I dont want a lightsaber that hits for 9 damage while blasters rifles hit for 10, with similar chance to hit.

Maybe its simply a matter of giving enough ranks of Reflect to the enemy lightsaber users....

Beyond the lightsaber shield of reflect, lightsabers already have a large advantage over blasters in that they usually have a the Breach quality. Their damage is generally going straight to wounds whereas most blasters get their damage reduced by soak to one extent or another.

I love that concept too Madeiner, but don't forgot to add just awesome battles like Cad Bane vs (Various Jedi) or the Jango vs Obi.

But yes, I have a game where there is a big wide variety of NPC's (non-combat, martial asrtists, tech-bounty hunters) but when the "lightsaber combat" arrives, everyone has his own battle. Both of them epic, but separeted to have that "SW feeling".

In my game, being a jedi/force user is a serious thing. You don't get to play one if you haven't read half of wikipedia and you havent proved that you know what you are playing.

You are ErikB and I claim my £5!

In my game, being a jedi/force user is a serious thing. You don't get to play one if you haven't read half of wikipedia and you havent proved that you know what you are playing.

You are ErikB and I claim my £5!

Can't be unless Erik found someone to play with. Without him on the board people get a little skittish and see the "boogyman" everywhere. He may already be here but laying low for now. AluminumWolf/ErikB/Sylpheed/_______?

I was kidding, MM :)

Personally I like how FFG integrated the Force with the rest of the game.

It always amazes me how some people essentially want to play a completely seperate game for the glowstick boys and have them operating on a higher plane than the mundanes.

>I want lightsaber users/force users to be the only ones that can effectively engage other lightsabers wielders,

So we're back to the old days of 'The Adventures Of Glowstick Boy And His Mundane Sidekicks'.

To me, the FFG game specifically tries to avoid this, and I like that.

Edited by Maelora

It always amazes me how some people essentially want to play a completely seperate game for the glowstick boys and have them operating on a higher plane than the mundanes.

>I want lightsaber users/force users to be the only ones that can effectively engage other lightsabers wielders,

So we're back to the old days of 'The Adventures Of Glowstick Boy And His Mundane Sidekicks'.

To me, the FFG game specifically tries to avoid this, and I like that.

Yeah i know my idea is not popular when people play star wars. Our group however is quite different and mature and we like it when the force users and lightsabers are top notch.

When we played an old campaign using SW d20 rules, our jedi was stronger than the rest of the group; but is 6 months, he only got to use the lightsaber three times, for duels only. Any other time, it was simply too risky.

When you have a lot of xp invested into something you cannot use as freely as a blaster, i want that thing to be powerful when it comes into play.

I also don't want to relegate the rest of the party to be sidekicks. Just their challenges will be different.

While the jedis are dueling inquisitors, the rest of the party will be busy preventing a swarm of troopers or tanks from entering the hangar, while the pilot will be in the air shooting down enemy fighters.

Edit: also i think i read a thread where the entire board was basically against one single user (cant remember the argument) :P i suppose that would be Erik?

Edited by Madeiner

Oh i know Maelora. Although it seems these days he may actually have some people to play with.

Buffy and the Scoobies! Don't see the attraction myself, but to each their own.

Abso-frikkin-lutely!! Word girl!!