GM?

By TwoDogs71, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

As an imperial player just starting this game it seems I am also the GM as well. That said how much information am I required to share with the Hero players? Do I have to tell them that the tokens on the map are cannons that will fire on them after every round? They may ineteract with a console to disable the lock on the dooor? They may interact with the cannons and succeed at a check to disable it? Do I share this or make them figure it out for themselves? The rule book seems kinda vague on this.

I found the rulebook vague too, but through asking questions and reading more I've found the following:

Read EVERYTHING under 'Mission briefing'. Then any other section is only read as they come up. Also, if you ever get to chose one of multiple outcomes after an event (such as when the door opens) you only read the choice you make, you do NOT read the choices you did NOT make.

There's a lengthy thread on the topic in the general forum. But in aftermath as an example you should inform about win conditions, terminals health and time limits

It is also important to note that as the Imperial player, you are not the "GM" you are an opponent. This is a very subtle, yet important difference in this game. As the Imperial player, you have access to the campaign guide's hidden information and are encouraged to use this to your advantage whenever possible.

Subtle differences include, but are not limited to:

• A GM (Game Master) is a referee, an Imperial player is an opponent.
  • The GM has complete power in his/her game as to rules interpretations and the final say on rules issues, the Imperial player does not, it is a concensus of reading the rules and trying to play as close to the rules as possible.
  • The GM does not "Win". The Imperial player can win.

Thanks for the input everyone. I understand I read all of the text aloud in the mission briefing box and the text for events as they occur. I also point out named tiles.

I still need clarification on a couple subjects taking "Indebted" on page 9 as an example.

Do I tell the rebel players they only have 6 rounds to complete the mission?

Do I tell them the imperial tokens on the board are cannons that will fire at them at the end of the round or let them find out the hard way?

Do I let them figure out other things like using actions to disable the cannons and unlocking the door using the terminals?

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

Bump

If you aren't telling them those things, then you aren't reading everything under the Mission Briefing heading. It isn't just the fluff text, but all the other things in that section.

How can you expect the Rebel players to accomplish anything if you are asking them to just wander around poking at stuff to maybe get an effect, meanwhile they are on a clock.