Is the Imperial player ever supposed to tell the Rebel players the objective first?

By daddystabz, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

We are totally confused if the Rebels are ever supposed to be told what the mission objective is at the beginning of a campaign mission.

I've wondered this too, because if you just read the intro to Aftermath, it doesn't tell you anything about destroying terminals, and you only have six rounds to work that part out AND destroy the terminals.

We are totally confused if the Rebels are ever supposed to be told what the mission objective is at the beginning of a campaign mission.

Small spoiler alert:

M

I was confused too but found help from a friend and a tread in here:

Let's use the start mission as an example:

If you check page 2 in the Campaign book in the 2nd column approx halfway down under Mission Events you'll see a Rebel symbol. This will appear in text and indicates "vital" info for the Rebels. Besides that you'll start by reading the crawling text on page 3 and the first light blue box text on page 4 and (as I inderstand) the conditions just below the box that the Rebs may attacking Terminals, that the doors are locked to Imps and that the Rebel win criteria is to have alle Terminals destroyed. But NOT that it must be done within 6 rounds or that all heroes must be wounded for Imp to win. Next thin is when "Fortified" happens and then the text tide pending on which side wins; the Rebel Scum or the noble Empire ;-)

I tell players everything under the "Mission Briefing" heading - both the white intro and the details and victory conditions. The Rebels are playing an elite strike team and need to be told what their mission is and how much time they have to complete it. The Rebels aren't given enough time to figure out a mission as they go.

Folks, you're supposed to read every single thing under an event when it happens, this includes the text box and the rules underneath it.

Please look at the second paragraph, second sentence under Mission Events on p.2 of the campaign book. "When an event is triggered, all of the text and rule information within that section is read aloud and resolved, in order " (emphasis mine).

So, under mission briefing, you read the box text and all the bullet points below it, which includes the rebel objective. The exception to this is when you get to an event like Lockdown where you have to choose one of the two items to take effect. You only read the one that you choose, since the other doesn't occur.

M

I was confused too but found help from a friend and a tread in here:

Let's use the start mission as an example:

If you check page 2 in the Campaign book in the 2nd column approx halfway down under Mission Events you'll see a Rebel symbol. This will appear in text and indicates "vital" info for the Rebels. Besides that you'll start by reading the crawling text on page 3 and the first light blue box text on page 4 and (as I inderstand) the conditions just below the box that the Rebs may attacking Terminals, that the doors are locked to Imps and that the Rebel win criteria is to have alle Terminals destroyed. But NOT that it must be done within 6 rounds or that all heroes must be wounded for Imp to win.

The last sentence is incorrect (see above). You do read that the mission ends at the end of RD 6 or when all heroes are wounded.

The rebel symbol simply denotes their main goal that should be emphasized as their objective and their method of ending the scenario that is within their control (see p2 again), but they should also know the other information there. It is not meant to be kept hidden until the entire scenario is over, just until the event occurs. In the case of the mission briefing, this is not at all.

The only thing that is never read aloud is the red text in the event summary. Nothing else has this stated.

Edited by AlexW

Learn to Play Pg 11:

6. Read Mission Briefing: The Imperial player reads the “Mission Briefing” section of the mission rules aloud to the Rebel players. If there are any map tiles in the diagram that have names, he should also indicate these tiles and names to all players. He keeps the rest of the mission rules to himself until instructed to resolve them.

And Pg 12:

At certain points during a mission, the Imperial player will be required to read information from the Campaign Guide aloud and resolve rules listed there.

These events are often triggered at the end of a certain game round, but may also be triggered when a specific situation occurs (for example, when a certain door is opened by a figure).

Learn to Play Pg 11:

6. Read Mission Briefing: The Imperial player reads the “Mission Briefing” section of the mission rules aloud to the Rebel players. If there are any map tiles in the diagram that have names, he should also indicate these tiles and names to all players. He keeps the rest of the mission rules to himself until instructed to resolve them.

And Pg 12:

At certain points during a mission, the Imperial player will be required to read information from the Campaign Guide aloud and resolve rules listed there.

These events are often triggered at the end of a certain game round, but may also be triggered when a specific situation occurs (for example, when a certain door is opened by a figure).

I think those are where the confusion comes from. People are unclear about which part of the Mission Briefing and the statement about "keeping the rest of the mission rules to himself until instructed to resolve them" is somewhat ambiguous. Either way, P2 of the Campaign Guide clears that up IE, reading all of an event and the rules that go with it.

Edited by AlexW

I'm at a loss for the confusion on this issue.

I am too, mostly, I mean I could see if someone had just read the "Learn to Play" quotes from above, but the campaign booklet is pretty clear.

I don't think "keeping the rest of the mission rules to himself until instructed to resolve them" is ambiguous. It's not saying "there is some stuff you never reveal," it's saying not to reveal stuff until told.

I am too, mostly, I mean I could see if someone had just read the "Learn to Play" quotes from above, but the campaign booklet is pretty clear.

Even without it. The L2P rules state you read the Mission Briefing section to the players. It doesn't say part of the section, it just says you read the section. There is no reason for players to believe that instruction implies that anything up to the next section heading and trigger should be left out, without explicit text saying to do so.

It was confusing because the first part of the campaign guide was taken out of context. The bit about not letting the Rebels ever have access to the book or read anything in it. The guy playing the Imperials was adamant that according to the rules the Rebels are not supposed to be told anything at all.

AlexW is correct and it states it several times. You read the mission briefing section to the rebels at the start (yes, this does include the number of rounds, imperial victory conditions, and rebel victory conditions).

If you hadn't read these aloud then the Rebel players would have no idea what their objective is and wouldn't even know that they could attack the terminals.

It was confusing because the first part of the campaign guide was taken out of context. The bit about not letting the Rebels ever have access to the book or read anything in it. The guy playing the Imperials was adamant that according to the rules the Rebels are not supposed to be told anything at all.

I hope that's all sorted now:)

Yes, you read EVERYTHING in the mission briefing section aloud. That is, all text under the Mission Briefing header up to, but not including, the next bold text header (which varies depending on the mission triggers).

I feel as if in that instance someone should have used a little common sense and asked the Imperial player how he intends for the Rebels to play the mission without knowing how they were to win or even what they were really doing on the mission at all.

If I was your playgroup I would not trust that guy on any of the rules because I don't see him having a strong grasp on them.

So I told my friend who played the Imps who keeps arguing us that he is not supposed to reveal ANYTHING to the Rebels. Below is his response:

"I read that and I just want to know how they think they know so much. All that's doing is speculating, not one of the people who replied works for our is affiliated with fantasy flight. So all anyone doing is speculating. If you think the rules are unfair then simply change them but don't take the word of a bunch of people that don't know the right answer as gossiple. That's only going by what they think is right but without a moderator ie: Fantasy Flight Games rep it's all pure BS and speculation. Sorry to put it that way but that is the truth. Did I miss an actual Fantasy Flight person speaking on the forum if so then please point that out to me."

It seems he wants to just keep arguing this endlessly despite being obviously wrong. He wants a FFG moderator to comment on it or he won't believe it.

Edited by daddystabz

I would stop playing with him.

It's very clear on page 2 under Mission Events

"...all of the text and rule information within that section is read aloud..."

I would stop playing with him.

It's very clear on page 2 under Mission Events

"...all of the text and rule information within that section is read aloud..."

Or swap him out so someone else is playing the Imperials. We're not speculating at all.

Tried to PM (apparently you can't get them). I feel bad for your your group having to fight him on this, especially when the majority of people are very clear on the rule.

Anyway, not sure if it will help but maybe, but I've played the game with a playtester, so I'm confident in my interpretation of the rule (we played with the objective known in our mission), though I prefer to point out the actual rules since those can be referenced.

It's also worth noting that Frank Brooks and Alex Davy respond personally to rules questions about X-wing when prompted (via email or PMs). I'm not sure if IA is the same, but if my connection above isn't enough, maybe trying that route will help.

Also, I'm not sure if you've played more than the first mission, but I've prepped for the next two with my group and I think those would be completely ridiculous if kept hidden. If he's peeked ahead at all, it should be very clear, unless he's really only playing to win. It will not be an enjoyable experience to play the other way.

Edited by AlexW

Even if you swap he's just the type of player that is never worth playing with. If he needs his hand held for basic clear as day rules he will always have an issue. Sorry you have to deal with him.

He is playing with a full deck overall?

This rule has been mentioned above, but it bears repeating here to highlight it because he won't be able to logically reconcile this with the idea that the objective should be kept secret.

Page 2 of the Campaign Guide, right column under Mission Events, fourth bullet:

• Certain rules reference the mission ending or progressing, followed by the [rebel] symbol. This indicates that the preceding text is an objective that the heroes are attempting to fulfill, which should be emphasized to the Rebel players by the Imperial Player .

So, not only is it supposed to be read, it is supposed to be emphasized that it is the objective. In "Aftermath" the sentence in the mission briefing that has the rebel symbol by it is, "The mission ends when all terminals are destroyed." And, of course, all objectives are listed that way. He should have read it and been absolutely clear about it.

If he rereads the campaign rules there's no way he can really interpret that differently unless he outright is changing the rules himself.

Sounds like this guy never wants to lose, EVER. Best to ditch him I think.

The rules are clear as day, if he is still arguing that then I would honestly never play with him again. It would be impossible to ever win a rebels if you were not read any of the rules. If for some reason you really want to keep playing with him then go here http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp and ask FFG what the correct answer for the rule is. If he still argues with an official response from FFG, then I don't know what to tell you.

"OK guys, I've laid out the tiles, you've placed your figures... go!"

"Uh, OK... I guess I'll move over here... open this door... shoot that Stormtrooper..."

"HAHA you failed to complete your objectives, you lose, I win!"

"Wait, what?"

I don't think that's how the game is supposed to be played. I think that anyone who can't accept that isn't how the game is supposed to be played, is not something worth playing games with. Don't get me wrong, the rules could be clearer in places, but srsly.