Multiple attacks for imperials and allies?

By CptButterbrot, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hi,

we are just about 2/3 of our first campaign and a question arose I did not find anything in the reference guide.

In normal cases imperial figures and allies are not allowed to attack more than once a turn. But whats about skills like the NEXU pounce?

It is not a normal attack action but a special action which includes an attack. Same with Luke.

Can those models actually attack two times (one attack caused by a special action and one normal attack action)?

Thanks

Cpt B

No, LtP pg 6:

Heroes are the only figures that can use both of their actions to perform attacks during the same activation. If a special action (A) involves one or more attacks, this does count as the figure using an action to attack.

The Nexu pounce is actually clarified in the advanced rules. Page 6:

Special Rules Regarding Attacks•
Unlike heroes, a figure that has a Deployment card can use only one of its actions to attack per activation . This includes using special actions that involve performing one or more attacks (such as the Nexu’s “Pounce” or Darth Vader’s “Brutality”)
Hope that helps. :)

Hmm, since those are special actions, wouldn't the sequence be move ( first action), then Brutality (second, special action).

What this rule is trying to say is: Models cannot take multiple actions in a single activation that allows them to get attacks with both actions. But, they are free to use a single action that gives them multiple attacks as long as they do not use an additional attack action.

So, using Vader as an example:

Vader gets two actions. If he uses his "Brutality" action, he cannot follow up with a standard "attack" action in the same activation.

=OR=

If he uses an "attack" action, he cannot use his second action (such as "Brutality") to gain any more attacks.

Edited by Fizz

But don't be confused with actions that can cause damage, like Force Choke. Darth Vader can attack for the first attack, and use Force Choke in the second.

The way the rules are written, an "attack" is constituted by rolling dice, while other actions like Force Choke cause a determined amount of damage without the use of dice.

Wow, thanks for all the your feedback.

That Helms a lot.

But don't be confused with actions that can cause damage, like Force Choke. Darth Vader can attack for the first attack, and use Force Choke in the second.

The way the rules are written, an "attack" is constituted by rolling dice, while other actions like Force Choke cause a determined amount of damage without the use of dice.

Such is the power of the Dark Side.

If Vader starts his activation adjacent to enemy models in Skirmish, he can easily beat down two opponents with Brutality, and then finish off a survivor with Force Choke.

Edited by Fizz

I'm not sure this is 100% correct. I've posted a specific queston about what I mean here so it is easy to find: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/131871-question-about-things-like-slam-and-telekeneitc-throw-do-they-replace-attacks/

Page 6 of the RRG specifically calls out Vader's Force Choke as not counting as an attack:

An ability that does not involve an attack but causes a figure to suffer damage (such as Darth Vader’s “Force Choke”) is not considered to be an attack.

Edited by Fizz

Read under on pg 5 of the Skirmish Guide "Changes from the Campaign" Attacking.

Why does it say that text is a change if you can't do it in Campaign?

So does the Command Card "Lure of the Dark Side" (choose a small figure within 3 spaces. Perform 1 attack with it) count as Vaders attack? Or must the activated attack be an attack made from the activated figure.

I think it doesn't count, otherwise the Elite Imperial Officer couldn't attack if he commanded an attack.

So does the Command Card "Lure of the Dark Side" (choose a small figure within 3 spaces. Perform 1 attack with it) count as Vaders attack? Or must the activated attack be an attack made from the activated figure.

I think it doesn't count, otherwise the Elite Imperial Officer couldn't attack if he commanded an attack.

No Lure doesn't count as Vader is not attacking.

Same with elite Officer.

Read under on pg 5 of the Skirmish Guide "Changes from the Campaign" Attacking.

Why does it say that text is a change if you can't do it in Campaign?

Because in the campaign, Rebel heroes can use both of their actions in a single activation to attack if they choose. Imperials cannot.

It also does not count because the attack is made OUTSIDE of the figure's activation. Remember that the attack limitation is only during that figure's activation.

I agree with what everyone has said. What I don't understand is why does the SG pg5 say that the Nexu's Pounce and Vader's Brutality are examples of things that work differently in skirmish and campaign games. How do they work differently?

It's the "unlike heroes" part of the rule that is different in a campaign. In a campaign, heroes can use both of their actions to attack, however, in a skirmish, heroes are under the same attack restrictions as imperials.

Under "Attacks" see "Special Situations Regarding Attacks" RRG, Page 6:

Unlike heroes , a figure that has a Deployment card can use only one of its actions to attack per activation. This includes using special actions that involve performing one or more attacks (such as the Nexu’s “Pounce” or Darth Vader’s “Brutality”).

-- If an ability allows a figure to perform an attack outside of its activation, this attack does not count toward the limit of one attack per activation.

Edited by Fizz

I agree with what everyone has said. What I don't understand is why does the SG pg5 say that the Nexu's Pounce and Vader's Brutality are examples of things that work differently in skirmish and campaign games. How do they work differently?

It's the "unlike heroes" part of the rule that is different in a campaign. In a campaign, heroes can use both of their actions to attack, however, in a skirmish, heroes are under the same attack restrictions as imperials.

Under "Attacks" see "Special Situations Regarding Attacks" RRG, Page 6:

Unlike heroes , a figure that has a Deployment card can use only one of its actions to attack per activation. This includes using special actions that involve performing one or more attacks (such as the Nexu’s “Pounce” or Darth Vader’s “Brutality”).

-- If an ability allows a figure to perform an attack outside of its activation, this attack does not count toward the limit of one attack per activation.

I'm with vault on this. I'm confused why they use the nexu and vader as examples of what is different. Why wouldn't they use the heroes as examples as they are the "only" ones even capable of doing it? I'm wondering if the quote in the rules reference guide is actually talking about the skirmish mode and not the campaign. That would make more sense to me.

They don't use heroes as the example specifically because the restriction does not apply to them. The restriction applies to every deployment card in the game (including rebel deployment cards), and this applies to both skirmish (when using the deployment card versions of the rebel heroes) and the campaign (for example, when the Rebels unlock allies). Remember that during the campaign, the rebel players use the hero cards, not the deployment cards.

They use the Nexu's pounce and Vader's brutality as an example of special actions that grant one (in the case of the nexu) or more (in the case of Vader) attacks. The restriction states that attacks gained in this fashion count towards the single attack limit for deployment cards, and thus, the figure would be unable to perform a "standard" attack action, or any other action that grants more attacks during the activation.

Whereas heroes in the campaign could use any combination of attack actions, or special abilities and not have to worry about the single attack restriction.

In the SG, they are merely reiterating an important rule about the attack limitation.

Edited by Fizz

And What about assault and Enraged in Fenn and Gaarkhan deployment cards??

Both says "you can perform multiple attacks each activation"

IMHO I guess that in those cases both models can use both their actions in attacks. Aren´t they?

And What about assault and Enraged in Fenn and Gaarkhan deployment cards??

Both says "you can perform multiple attacks each activation"

IMHO I guess that in those cases both models can use both their actions in attacks. Aren´t they?

Yup here the golden rule applies, when a card over-rides the rulebook go with the card.