A minor peeve.

By Gosric, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I must admit, I never twigged to it either. Nice play on words, Mr Necromancer.

One of those vowel ridden Benelux nation names then?

Nope! :D all english, actually! But it's a bit hippy (as in the 60's). And not usually a guy's name either.

You know who has a cool name? Moon Bloodgood.! How awesome is that right? It just screams native armerican werewolf Khorne worshipper!

Holy crap, try saying Moon Bloodgood 10 times fast out loud.

Because there's in general 2 types of people who play MMO's or other online games.

RP'ers and non-RP'ers. For us who like to RP or at least get immersed in the game we name our characters with names that fit the lore of the game. For example my Star Trek Online character, had a real name, and every ship was named after a city in Italy.

But there are also people who have little to no interest in the lore of the game and think of it just a video game. Immersion isn't a thing they're interested in. So they'll pick funny names because the name doesn't matter, it's just some text that floats over the head of their toon.

I like the Robin Graves name. Wish id thought of it *L*
Graves is a versatile name though. I created a game set in a near future London with a base setting of Creatures of the night versus catholic hunters and Chthulhueque demon types. And since i was playing a murderous Vampire with a particular favourite religious target i chose the name Christian Graves. Sounded more imposing that my last Car Wars character with the dubious name Ace Wheelie

Edited by Gosric

Urgh I know I play wow on an rp realm and I've met such well named characters as rocketgirl and wonderboner, also seen some shocking ship names on sto back when I played.

Some people just want to watch nerds freak out.

I understand where you're coming from Gosric. It can really break ones suspension of disbelief.

been playing destiny for awhile now and some of the names people have crack me up. but that game is also just barely a MMO.... however Jedi Kitten whiskers would really crack me up..lol better than all the sexual innuendos I normally see. It seems most folks vary between some kind of powerful name like skull crusher 1 and totally off the wall obnoxious names... Yeah the USS bevis and butthead would be kind of annoying...

After years of EQ nothing surprises me, irritating at times, but there is not a whole lot you can do unless you are on a roleplaying server.

I had a friend, who's wife played a wood elf warrior named Bubbles Inyourtub. Then there was this dark elf necromancer named Neckromancer and a guy in my guild whom had an ogre named Fisti Cuffs.

All my character names come from the Lord of the Rings elven dictionary or mundane single words like nouns & adjectives; Though, I had a WoW character, a night elf hunter, named Drawn with a pet named Quartered.That was about as far away from genre that I could stomach.

Urgh I know I play wow on an rp realm and I've met such well named characters as rocketgirl and wonderboner, also seen some shocking ship names on sto back when I played.

I wonder how hard they would freak out if you gave a dwarf character an obvious elven name...

Human rogue: "wait-YOU are Kyelloq Cyrael, The Sparkle of Gems in the Starlight?"

Kyelloq the dwarf: "Yes! What be of it manling?"

Human Rogue: "Nothing, nothing I just tought you'd be...taller."

I wonder how hard they would freak out if you gave a dwarf character an obvious elven name...

Human rogue: "wait-YOU are Kyelloq Cyrael , The Sparkle of Gems in the Starlight?"

Kyelloq the dwarf: "Yes! What be of it manling?"

Human Rogue: "Nothing, nothing I just tought you'd be...taller."

Okay, best. name. EVER!

{In our current RPG game my mates wife plays Deh'leia Trotta... shes a smuggler with a bright yellow HWK 'Trotta's independent trading - Coruscant, Alderaan, Naboo'}

I read that outloud and just like the FBI I busted out and cackled . Wife still hasnt figgered out why she married a loon !

You know the silly names never bothered me, some were funny. I saw a large bodied bounty Hunter called Boba Phat, that was funny. What bothered me was the absurd number oh Raistlin, Dritzt and such creatively spelled in every fantasy game. Mainly because they were everywhere.

I know to my shame that i convinced a friend to use the Elven name Engwar Lembas for a character. Without telling him it meant Sickly Waybread