A minor peeve.

By Gosric, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Can anyone tell me why people choose wildly innappropriate or just stupid names for online games? Maybe it is coming from a tabletop RPG background but i like to stick with names that fit. Back when i as doing Trek online i was annoyed by the USS Beavisandbuttcrack. and Now i have finally started playing Old republic i am seeing names that confuse the hell out of me. What sort of name for a Jedi is Kittenwhiskers?

At least in Age of Conan people usually stick with names that work for the genre.

Oh well rant over. It isnt really a big thing. But the appeal of levelling up a character with a daft name is lost on me and i was wondering if anyone could tell me why people are so inclined

I understand where you're coming from. I ran a Blood Bowl league a few years back and the names for the teams and players just got more ridiculous as time went on. It seems everyone thinks they're a comedian these days.

I guess it's an internet thing?

That reminds me, me and a buddy were discussing you couldn't have cool sounding names for federation ships in star trek (rpg)

However i think you can get some good names out of using scientific terms. Singularity, Miridian, Event Horizon (not That one) and my fave: the USS Terminator . (a moving line that separates the illuminated side and the dark side of a planetary body)

Cause there are dummies online.

Yea that has always bugged me a lot as well, then again, the USS Chimaera (named for the famous Star Destroyer), and the USS Liberator (named so because it liberates borg from their bodies) don't really fit into the Federation atmosphere, so who am I to judge? :lol:

I get that. That's why all my characters get real names that start with Q, save for Squidd the bounty hunter

That reminds me, me and a buddy were discussing you couldn't have cool sounding names for federation ships in star trek (rpg)

However i think you can get some good names out of using scientific terms. Singularity, Miridian, Event Horizon (not That one) and my fave: the USS Terminator . (a moving line that separates the illuminated side and the dark side of a planetary body)

It may be a dark/light boundary line, but it's not going to be the first thing that pops into most people's heads, is it? ;)

Looks like it was a good decision not to go by the username "Darth Silliass" when registering here.

Looks like comedy names are frowned upon, even by those who ask "Is bacon overpowered?" on a gaming forum.

Life sometimes sucks and it's good to escape the stress and misery. Not being jerks or taking the urine. Though some are just childish, or are in fact children or teenagers who giggle at words like sextant or woodpecker, many are sensible mature adults seeking to have fun.

If I called myself Darth Silliass, it would be to make me smile. Hopefully make others smile. But most important, it would tell everyone I have a sense of humor, not overly sensitive and acknowledge I'm not a god among mortals with a superior intellect... instead I'm a mere mortal of average intelligence who can take the mick out of himself.

Konan Nazreth is my RPG character by the way.

difference between naming a character in an online multi user game and having a forum name though isnt there?

I mean on a forum i'm pretty much 'gadge' on every thing i post on. as its what my mates and my mum call me. its been my nickname since i could speak (as its what came out when i tried to pronounce my real name of 'gareth'). Silly forum names dont bother me at all. Unless someones forum name is obscene or hate inducing then i see no reason why you cant have what you want.

*personally* i dont really do online multi player games anymore (too many idiots, cheats and people who think its ok to scream abuse and racist comments at others through the safety of the anonymous internet) but when i did silly names didnt bother me.. its just some one going 'hey look at me, look at how funny and cool i am' isnt it?

But i can understand why someone who is ina game where they are trying to immerse themselves in a background gets annoyed when someone is just mucking about and in their eyes spoiling the 'mythos' of the game by being called 'darth bacon' in a star wars version of WoW :)

Isn't there a Jedi Master Bates? For real, I'm sure I saw it on wookieepedia.

Chewbacca could be misinterpreted to mean chew tobacco.

C3-P0 could be see three P off.

You ask me Star Wars already has some daft names, and names that could be misinterpreted.

Isn't there a pilot called Porkins who isn't as thin as the others. That could be viewed as offensive.

There's also the Rancor. Sounds like a posh guy insulting someone.

Edited by Konan Nazreth

Oh yeah.

I mean in the star wars rpg we ran for years at university (the old west end games one) we didnt take it too serious but that was ok because *everyone* was ok with it.

We had characters named after food dishes or medicines

Keema Naan and Saag Aloo, smuggler and sidekick of the rebel alliance.

Rogan Josh, bounty hunter

and

Dak Tarin , rebel pilot

I plan on having a HWK-290 called the Moldy Cow. I misread the title card and can never call it Crow since.

In our current RPG game my mates wife plays Deh'leia Trotta... shes a smuggler with a bright yellow HWK 'Trotta's independent trading - Coruscant, Alderaan, Naboo'

Thats probably a very *british* comedy reference though so apologies if anyone doesnt get it.

Its a parody of :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/motoring/article-1089008/Wheel-millionaires-May-Del-Boys-Reliant-Robin-Trottermobile-goes-auction.html

Scuse the link to the 'mail'. I dont read it myself but it was the first link i could find i knew would have a good image and explain the car.

Well. Like i said it isnt a big deal im just trying to get a clue as to the mindset. Silly names are one thing had a few in games myself and certainly have been in games with players who have.
But blatantly idiotic names are what annoy me. SW did have a large number of dubious names as was pointed out but there is a difference between Ploovo Two for one to us an EU name from back when the EU didnt suck.Or calling ones character Jedi Master Sag Aloo which actually works in its own way as opposed to Jedi Master Sparkle Pony Princess *L*

I hope your ship is more reliable than the Robin

How did you know my Jedi was called Saag Aloo? :)

I used the force. Ok, actually i just used a Jedi as a handy class and went from there

It may be a dark/light boundary line, but it's not going to be the first thing that pops into most people's heads, is it? ;)

He he, nope. :D

Captain: "this is the federation starship Terminator! We have come for peace negotiations and-wha?"

Helm: "the Romulan vessels apear to be retreating sir."

Captain: "Was it something i said?"

Helm: "I think it's our ship's name sir. It is quite...Imposing."

Science officer: "They seemed to think ours is a dangeous and highly capable battleship."

Captain: "But- we're just a small science vessel!"

Edited by Robin Graves

Oh yeah.

I mean in the star wars rpg we ran for years at university (the old west end games one) we didnt take it too serious but that was ok because *everyone* was ok with it.

We had characters named after food dishes or medicines

Keema Naan and Saag Aloo, smuggler and sidekick of the rebel alliance.

Rogan Josh, bounty hunter

and

Dak Tarin , rebel pilot

hey it worked for Dragon ball Z. Just last week i ran into (a package of) Vegeta at the supermarket.

difference between naming a character in an online multi user game and having a forum name though isnt there?

I mean on a forum i'm pretty much 'gadge' on every thing i post on. as its what my mates and my mum call me. its been my nickname since i could speak (as its what came out when i tried to pronounce my real name of 'gareth'). Silly forum names dont bother me at all. Unless someones forum name is obscene or hate inducing then i see no reason why you cant have what you want.

I just took the name i gave to my diablo II Necromancer when i signed up. It's a punny name but it sounds good.

Im so thick i thought it was your real name.

Honest. I just thought Graves was your surname. Its not *that* unlikely :)

Next character I create for myself will be a demolishion expert/pyromaniac called:

Vin Daloo

Perhaps he'll be my Age of Rebellion character.

Edited by Konan Nazreth

Im so thick i thought it was your real name.

Honest. I just thought Graves was your surname. Its not *that* unlikely :)

Trust me my real name and surname would be MORE confusing. :D

One of those vowel ridden Benelux nation names then?

One of those vowel ridden Benelux nation names then?

Nope! :D all english, actually! But it's a bit hippy (as in the 60's). And not usually a guy's name either.

You know who has a cool name? Moon Bloodgood.! How awesome is that right? It just screams native armerican werewolf Khorne worshipper!